Amp or speakers first? And some more questions...

ubkta

First Name
Vitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback sport 2018
Country flag
I just got a used 2018 civic hatch sport (Canada) and it comes with the 8 speakers and 7" touch head unit (180W I guess?) and I want to upgrade my audio system and I am in doubt in two possibilities:

Just add a small powered subwoofer, most probably the Rockford Fosgate P300-8P.
Can I use 16 gauge speaker wire to tap my front speaker wires in the back of HU to send a signal to the powered subwoofer?

Thinking more about it, I was wondering if I would get more clarity in general if I add a 5 channel amp (or a small 4 channel amp like the Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack) and keep the stock speakers and tweeters for now or I would have to upgrade the speakers/tweeters all together? I don't want to spend a lot of money right away, so I was thinking about changing the speakers later and just add a sub + stock speakers if I decided to go this way.

Another newbie question, I read a lot about adding a DSP due to the head unit built-in EQ. I don't listen to music very loud (I'm happy around 15 volume), I'm just looking for some bass, and more clarity. Right now the stock audio is OK(ish), but I do miss some bass. Adding that powered subwoofer or an amp would require adding a DSP like the lc7i or lc2i to get the best out of it?

Thanks, folks.
Sponsored

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I would upgrade your speakers instead of powering your the garbage Honda speakers with a amplifier. I dont think anyone is powering their stock speakers with an amp

I first started with Coaxial speakers un-amplified and its better than stock and maybe you can look into stalling Viper4Android to improve sound and bring some of the bass back.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/viper4android-install.40471/

but both your options are half solutions, it wont sound good until you upgrade your speakers and power them with an amp

OP
OP

ubkta

First Name
Vitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I feel is a half solution, I was planning to do it in parts. I might add the sub first and check how happy am I and sadly I have an Apple device. DO you have a stock head unit? Does this Viper4Android bypass your factory built-in EQ?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Yeah I feel is a half solution, I was planning to do it in parts. I might add the sub first and check how happy am I and sadly I have an Apple device. DO you have a stock head unit? Does this Viper4Android bypass your factory built-in EQ?
Speaking from experience with my Prelude. I first replace the factory head with an Alpine unit and it sounded better than stock but less than a year later, both door speaker cones were blown off their surrounds so I replace them with a good set of Kicker or Rockford Fosgate or something. Then the system really rocked. And it lasted almost 15 years.

There's a DSP FLAT mode available on the non-premium touch system.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/dsp-flat.3019/

OP
OP

ubkta

First Name
Vitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Speaking from experience with my Prelude. I first replace the factory head with an Alpine unit and it sounded better than stock but less than a year later, both door speaker cones were blown off their surrounds so I replace them with a good set of Kicker or Rockford Fosgate or something. Then the system really rocked. And it lasted almost 15 years.

There's a DSP FLAT mode available on the non-premium touch system.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/dsp-flat.3019/
Oh DSP FLAT! Thanks for that information, will definitely turn that EQ off.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
bikejog forgot to mention the the DSP Flat resets to the honda setting after you turn off the car so if you plan to do it everytime you start the car this wont work

Oh DSP FLAT! Thanks for that information, will definitely turn that EQ off.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Viper only affects audio from bluetooth/usb sources, so you wont get any change while listening to the radio/xm. If you're looking to do it piecemeal then it's really up to you which you do first, just try to make the next upgrades as easy as possible to integrate into the current setup.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
bikejog forgot to mention the the DSP Flat resets to the honda setting after you turn off the car so if you plan to do it everytime you start the car this wont work
Yeah I did, it was late Lol.

You could root the unit and install Tasker to do it for you automatically every time the head unit powers up. It will void the warranty on the head unit for sure unless it's possible to revert it back to stock (it might. not sure). Not saying you should do it, just giving you all the options.

You can buy Honda Hack or I think you can also do it by following the instructions below if you're comfortable with computers. I think you can get all the features of Honda Hack Basic by doing it yourself. Honda Hack Pro gives you more features that I don't know if get by DIY.

I haven't did it to my unit yet so I can't comment on how stable or reliable running Tasker is. So read all you can before you do it and only do it at your own risk.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582

Last edited:
OP
OP

ubkta

First Name
Vitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw that about the DSP returning to default when we turn on the car again, that is pretty sad.
Thanks all for the info though. I will dig more, been reading a lot these days!
Sponsored