Amp and Subwoofer install Question

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Ive got an appointment this Saturday (11/26/16) at a local car audio shop to install a Rockford Fosgate P3D4 - 12 (12" woofer) in a custom ported box to be powered by a Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Amp. Going to keep the stock infotainment unit at this time. I would like to upgrade the infotainment unit but don't want any issues with the car being able to communicate with the unit. Has anyone upgraded the infotainment unit and ran into any issues? I've got an ex-l coupe.
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
You'll lose the ability to control your air conditioning. This alone makes it a no-go for pretty much everyone.

OP
OP
jstone800

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Totally forgot about A/C control.

jake_aguilera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
DIY it man. My brother and I did it this weekend and it took us like 3 hours and didn't drill any holes, didn't have to cut into any wires or anything.. it's 100% reversible if I ever have to take it back to the dealer for anything.

OP
OP
jstone800

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
DIY it man. My brother and I did it this weekend and it took us like 3 hours and didn't drill any holes, didn't have to cut into any wires or anything.. it's 100% reversible if I ever have to take it back to the dealer for anything.
The guy who I brought it to has been in business at his own shop for a few years and was a manager at a bigger shop for 7+ years there. Super trustworthy dude and Rockford has published some of his boxes on their site. Box will be custom and his work is super solid. Tons of good reviews from friends and on his profile page. He isnt cheap but guaranteed. If the sub or amp blow in the first year he will replace on the spot. No waiting for stuff to get mailed off and play waiting games. He is all about word of mouth reviews and is in business for the long hall.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I'm sure your sound guy has experience with stock headunits, but just getting an amp/sub isn't going to give you results.

The stock headunit aggressively cuts signals to different channels, so unless you get some sort of line output converter, it's not going to sound good.

The amplifier is supposed to amplify (duh) signals, but if said signals aren't there to begin with, there's nothing to amplify.

If you really want an aftermarket head unit then you'll have to somehow custom mount an aftermarket unit somewhere in the car, and run all your speakers off of it. You'll lose steering wheel controls and the in-car bluetooth, but the sound will be exponentially better. It'll also be exponentially more expensive for you.

OP
OP
jstone800

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
So if for say I am happy with the current signals provided by the stock head unit and add the amp sub package will I be happy with the sound? What I am expecting is the same sound coming from stock speakers but Significantly more bass that punchs harder and lower from the added subwoofer. The current stock speakers are the 450watt 10 speaker system (factory sub).

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
No, that's just a bass knob with a fancy name lol.
You want something like the audiocontrol lc2i.

Let's put it this way. If you put a microphone up to a guy speaking through a straw, the amplified sound is not going to be the same as when you remove the straw.

Without an LOC, your signal is crippled at the headunit and no amplifier is going to sound as good as it should.

OP
OP
jstone800

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I think I understand now. So is the audiocmtrol lc2i what you would recommend for the system that I'm looking at having installed?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Hang on - he has the factory sub. The output from that is fine. All he needs is an amp with line-level inputs, which the R500X1D does.

OP
OP
jstone800

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I've got the 450 watt 10 speaker system in the ex-l coupe. So don't need the in line-Level converter?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Woops, missed that part - I thought the EX-L did not have the 10-speaker system.
In that case, theoretically, yes.

However, the stock subwoofer signal is still aggressively cut. That said, I'd get your guy to go ahead and just set it up.

If you feel bass is lacking, the the LC2i is easy enough to set up after the fact.

Sorry about the wild goose chase there haha

OP
OP
jstone800

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
No thank you for your time and help! EX-L coupe in the U.S. comes wih the premium sound system. I want to say the only diff between the U.S. Coupe EX-L and the touring is the navigation feature and chrome pieces. Again thank you for your help and if the bass is lacking, which will probably be true in a few months (), I'll look at the lc2i.