Amount of coolant needed when replacing

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Radiator drain and fill on my fk8 (with aftermarket C&R radiator installed) was just under 2 gallons. I can measure what I have left if you would like, but I am positive my aftermarket radiator has a larger capacity. I have my stock radiator still, I could measure the capacity of the radiator if you’d like.

I typically found back in my wrenching days, the information we’d pull up regarding coolant drain amounts and capacities on AllData was never correct. I always assumed the service documents accounted for residual coolant that inevitably stays in the hoses and won’t come out unless said hoses are removed for a radiator swap.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I typically found back in my wrenching days, the information we’d pull up regarding coolant drain amounts and capacities on AllData was never correct.
This is also my experience.

Also from my experience, dealer service shops that I know generally ignore the manual procedures when changing coolant and they do it any way they like.

In addition, a radiator drain process is in part random, and it won't be accurate. In one car you will drain more, in another identical car with visually identical coolant level you'll drain less. It will depend on a lot of factors plus the moon phase and the VIN of the car. :D Some parts of the system may drain in one car today, and not in another "identical" car tomorrow. If you bump a hose, you can get more. Still, 0.4 gal is quite a lot.

After saying that, it's really not so hard to understand the OP's question as some people make it appear. He followed the Service Manual, the procedure is the one for 2.0L engine, which is different from the procedure for 1.5T or 2.0T, and no one has shown any basis for thinking there is an error or otherwise. He got a different amount than expected. (I assume he counted the reservoir, or the reservoir was empty after draining, but all the reservoir is about 0.2 gal). I never changed coolant in my car and I have a different engine, so I don't have the response he is asking for.

But here is no reason to think the procedure for a regular coolant change must include draining any other parts than the radiator. Coolant change is part of the maintenance scheme, just like with transmission oil drain-and-fill. It's not a system flush. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a maintenance cooling system flush for Honda, so it's done only in repair cases that require it. How much remains after a radiator drain depends on the engine, but something will always remain.

OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
This is also my experience.

Also from my experience, dealer service shops that I know generally ignore the manual procedures when changing coolant and they do it any way they like.

In addition, a radiator drain process is in part random, and it won't be accurate. In one car you will drain more, in another identical car with visually identical coolant level you'll drain less. It will depend on a lot of factors plus the moon phase and the VIN of the car. :D Some parts of the system may drain in one car today, and not in another "identical" car tomorrow. If you bump a hose, you can get more. Still, 0.4 gal is quite a lot.

After saying that, it's really not so hard to understand the OP's question as some people make it appear. He followed the Service Manual, the procedure is the one for 2.0L engine, which is different from the procedure for 1.5T or 2.0T, and no one has shown any basis for thinking there is an error or otherwise. He got a different amount than expected. (I assume he counted the reservoir, or the reservoir was empty after draining, but all the reservoir is about 0.2 gal). I never changed coolant in my car and I have a different engine, so I don't have the response he is asking for.

But here is no reason to think the procedure for a regular coolant change must include draining any other parts than the radiator. Coolant change is part of the maintenance scheme, just like with transmission oil drain-and-fill. It's not a system flush. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a maintenance cooling system flush for Honda, so it's done only in repair cases that require it. How much remains after a radiator drain depends on the engine, but something will always remain.
You get me lol

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Changed the coolant in my 2016 2.0L engine today. Only 3.65 quarts from the radiator petcock drain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Changed the coolant in my 2016 2.0L engine today. Only 3.65 quarts from the radiator petcock drain.
Okay that was my experience, too. Thanks for another data point.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
I visited the local Honda dealer today and was told that they typically drain one gallon or a bit less when doing a coolant change on the 2.0L. They don't remove a drain bolt in the cylinder block.
Sponsored