Amount of coolant needed when replacing

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I just drained and refilled my coolant today. The manual says 1.4 gallons would be needed. I only used 1 gallon when refilling (yes, I bled the system properly as well).

Has anyone else had this as well?
Sponsored

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Assuming .4 gallons are inside the coolant passages and maybe turbo? Unless you pulled thermostat and cracked open turbo lines I'd guess not all drained.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Did you drain from the block in addition to the rad?

OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I did everything per the service manual. Drain from the drain tube only. Doing it per the service manual, the service manual states the entire coolant change should be 1.4 gallons.

The entire system is 2 gallons. I am not looking for assumptions, I am looking for real world experience from someone who has changed their own coolant.

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I did everything per the service manual. Drain from the drain tube only. Doing it per the service manual, the service manual states the entire coolant change should be 1.4 gallons.

The entire system is 2 gallons. I am not looking for assumptions, I am looking for real world experience from someone who has changed their own coolant.
I don't know what the service manual says.

The reason I asked is I just drained the coolant during my turbo swap. Didn't touch the block drain plug, just the rad and whatever was in the turbo lines/housing. I put a full gallon in after and it's currently between the MIN and MAX lines. It will probably drop a bit as it bleeds out and I will need to add a little more.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
MM5 is 2 gallons/7.52L. However if you want the exact number give me 24 hours LOL. I have that info at work on a spreadsheet, dealer access only

OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I’ll clarify again, I am not interested in other methods. I am wondering if anyone else has drained their coolant per the service manual and only drained 1 gallon rather than the 1.4 gallons that the service manual states.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

What service manual did you use? Because the service instructions that I got from Honda's Techinfo site clearly shows two drain points: the radiator and the engine block. If you only drained the radiator, then you did it improperly and that would explain why you didn't get all the old coolant out. Not that it will make a huge difference, just something to keep in mind next time.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag

OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
TechInfo service instructions for K20C2 coolant change (page 3, with air bleed instructions didn’t fit on my screen in screenshot, though it is irrelevant):
Honda Civic 10th gen Amount of coolant needed when replacing 88AFB1EE-3456-4CEE-A908-F6953E59CBF9

What service manual did you use? Because the service instructions that I got from Honda's Techinfo site clearly shows two drain points: the radiator and the engine block. If you only drained the radiator, then you did it improperly and that would explain why you didn't get all the old coolant out. Not that it will make a huge difference, just something to keep in mind next time.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello Brandon,
Here is what I used to refill the radiator and a photo DIY step by step, if it helps.

Sorry, do not know how much coolant as I didn’t measure and am using an aftermarket radiator anyways.

OEM tools 24444 kit vacuum method here. This is the method I used now and recommend. Can be purchased on Amazon. This method is very reliable and super easy. It does require an air compressor however.

Alternately, can fill the radiator the old fashioned way, run the car at idle, then squeeze the radiator hoses periodically with the radiator cap off, to make sure air pockets escape the hoses.

I just drained and refilled my coolant today. The manual says 1.4 gallons would be needed. I only used 1 gallon when refilling (yes, I bled the system properly as well).

Has anyone else had this as well?

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TechInfo service instructions for K20C2 coolant change (page 3, with air bleed instructions didn’t fit on my screen in screenshot, though it is irrelevant):
There is probably an error in that document, or it is an older version. This is what I have:
Honda Civic 10th gen Amount of coolant needed when replacing Coolant 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Amount of coolant needed when replacing Coolant 2

Honda Civic 10th gen Amount of coolant needed when replacing coolant 3

Now, it is for the 1.5L turbo engine, but there should still be a drain for the engine block. Otherwise, there is no way to drain all the coolant from just the radiator.

OP
OP
BrandonSmith

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
There is probably an error in that document, or it is an older version. This is what I have:
Coolant 1.png

Coolant 2.png

coolant 3.png

Now, it is for the 1.5L turbo engine, but there should still be a drain for the engine block. Otherwise, there is no way to drain all the coolant from just the radiator.
There is a difference between the 1.5 and 2.0. The difference between your 1.5 document and my 2.0 clearly shows that. My document is from December. The latest document (today) is still the same.

My point is, per the service manual instructions for my vehicle, I did not have the expected outcome that the correct service manual instructions specified.