Am I the only one thinking about keeping my Si stock?

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How do you feel about a stage 1 tune used conservatively? I'd like the car to be a little faster. Up to par with other sport compacts in it's class in a straight.
I mean ya tsp stage 1 is cool. Just remember that over time if you abuse your car as I did, your rods will stretch until they run out of stretch. Mine took 2 years and also I was making some good numbers. 279hp / 342tq and ran it hard all the time. You should be good with tsp stage 1 used conservatively.
Sponsored

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
After hearing about tune horror stories, that cemented my idea of keeping the drivetrain stock. Visual mods are my thing, upgrading small bits that the car should've come with (LED turn signals, lights, mild 1 in drop). I'd rather spend the mod $$ on upgrading to an R or more performance oriented car. To each their own though, I can see how much fun a hi po Si would be :headbang:

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Performance-wise, I think the Si is great from the factory! Have only done a few cosmetic mods up to this point (tint, LEDs, leather shift knob, flat-bottom steering wheel, OEM mud flaps). I will get wheels next summer and debating on BBK also. Acuity adjustable shifter is on my wishlist too! But I think I'll stay away from engine mods until I pay the car off. I'm enjoying this little daily driver as-is :drive:

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Hello ... From the other side. I used to own a Mazda speed 3 ... The power is not very good on the Si. I admit to being disappointed. On my Mazda I added a cold air intake and turbo inlet pipe. Conservatively I had over 3 hundred foot pounds of torque and nearly the same HP. Third gear can only be described as VIOLENT!!!!!! I may ditch the car at some point. For price and value the Si can't be best ... However ... If you think power is adequate... It simply is not.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Can't be beat... auto correct...

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I'm thinking about keeping my 2020 Si Sedan "White Lightening" completely stock. I may do a drop in K&N air filter. Anyone else?

My last 2 Si's (2010 Coupe (2.0L) and 2015 Sedan (2.4L) had a down pipe and a tune by VitViper, but this turbo makes much more torque than either of these and is quick enough for me.

As for the 6% final drive shortening, I think this really helps to stay in 2nd gear in stop and go traffic without having to dip into 1st gear.

Just my thoughts.

EdwarDallas
I think I'll be more than happy with a 2020 Si coupe's stock performance. My current car is a Mazda2 100hp and very reliable.
Car before that was a 2007 Pontiac Solstice 260hp, not very reliable. Before that was a 1985 Mustang 5.0 210hp coupe [ex CHP ] not reliable, but a good value for what I paid at auction.
I see the 2020 Si as being a nice compromise of performance and reliability for me. And I'm stoked about the 6% shorter gears. I have a history of being easy on clutches, and shorter gears helps clutch life too.
Clutches will last longer if you don't sit at lights or in stop and go traffic with the clutch in. Put it in neutral, give your clutch a break.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Also keeping it as stock as possible. I'll only be using Honda OEM accessories including HFP parts. The only mod performance-wise was Hondata because of how closely Hondata and HPD work together in R&D.

Ex: A fully stock 2000 Civic Si is more appealing than one with randon mods like body kit, lights, I/H/E/etc IMO. Same applies to how I view my Si in the future, clean 100% stock aside from a tune that HPD uses.

Last edited:

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
IMHO the car is perfectly balanced bone stock. I did throw an intake in just for a little extra noise, but other than that she's still as she was off the showroom floor. Tried a KTuner for a couple hundred miles but it wasn't for me (likely selling soon).

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
My plan is to keep mine completely stock as far as the performance goes. Any urges might may be directed towards handling upgrades. I may also look at some Acuity shifting solutions.. but that is about it.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
I mean ya tsp stage 1 is cool. Just remember that over time if you abuse your car as I did, your rods will stretch until they run out of stretch. Mine took 2 years and also I was making some good numbers. 279hp / 342tq and ran it hard all the time. You should be good with tsp stage 1 used conservatively.
'Rod stretch' first time I've heard that term. Does the big end of the rod open up, and get more and more clearance until metal fatigue sets in and it finally breaks?
Thanks,

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Hello ... From the other side. I used to own a Mazda speed 3 ... The power is not very good on the Si. I admit to being disappointed. On my Mazda I added a cold air intake and turbo inlet pipe. Conservatively I had over 3 hundred foot pounds of torque and nearly the same HP. Third gear can only be described as VIOLENT!!!!!! I may ditch the car at some point. For price and value the Si can't be best ... However ... If you think power is adequate... It simply is not.
I also came from an MS3 with an intake, tune, and a few other goodies netting 270 WHP.

Adding a base flash will get you the feedback you're after. My Si now drives very, very close to how the Mazda did. But it requires raising boost a few PSI. It's no monster but it's perfect for the daily grind IMHO.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What cosmetic mods?
30% Ceramic Tint
Smoked Side Marker Lights (LED)