Am I getting old or has the car scene gone full circle?

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Maybe vinyl roofs from the 60s should make a comeback. That would really make the CTR stand out!
Never liked vinyl roofs a friend had a 1973 barracuda with a 318 we took the vinyl top off ( not realizing we had to do some bondo work) and after a repaint the car looked much better
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hadnā€™t really seen all the crap that seemed to spring up around the first TF&TF movie came out. I do see a few random big spoilers nailed to a few POS cars here and there... but other than a few nice 240SXs... I hardly see any ā€˜customā€™ tuner cars... and those couple are very tastefully done and donā€™t stand out too badly. They just have nice paint in non-standard colors, rims and conservative body kits.

Perhaps Iā€™m just living in the wrong/poor area. Iā€™d mentioned before I went nearly a year after the CTR was released to see one in the wild and there Pontiacs and Saturns far outnumber Teslaā€™s still... and I think Oldsmobileā€™s would still them a run for their money numbers-wise. I just donā€™t see much of anything here in SE GA. The Jax crowd wouldnā€™t make it this far north.

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
I never liked big wings on cars. And spoilers on 4 door sedans are ridiculous, even though my cars have them, but I had no choice because that's the way they were made. What's the point of having that 1" spoiler on my Civic sedan?

If the car is built for the track then do whatever it takes. But on the street what's the point. Apparently having a car that looks fast, even though it isn't, impresses some people. It must be social media & peer pressure that's causing this.
I find it a good way to set apart base model civics to Si's.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every time period has its trends, and there will be those who follow it for the purpose of trying to get recognized as a trend setter. The movement back in early 00's was fueled by getting recognized in magazines and the street scene, now it's Instagram or Facebook fame that's being sought out.

If you look around here on CivicX, you'll notice that mostly active members didn't get too far carried away by trend setting because if that was the case we wouldn't be using this bulletin board style technology that's been around for 20+ years. I've seen some very tastefully modified cars here, and my definition of tasteful is being timeless so that one moves through trends, not with them. I respect hidden details over eye-catching, and I'll be more impressed if a car's up on a lift and you see all the suspension work done underneath versus a car with visible aero yet riding on stock tires and/or suspension. That's just my thoughts, to each their own.

Here's how I've applied that to my build, and you can be the the judge of whether I've practiced what I'm preaching :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Am I getting old or has the car scene gone full circle? IMG_20200206_125121

Honda Civic 10th gen Am I getting old or has the car scene gone full circle? FB_IMG_1569903002469

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
@CanadiaegeanBlue Car looks nice man. Must be a blast around that track. :thumbsup:

I have a pretty tame sense of style so a lot of what I see folks do are things I wouldn't consider doing. That's not meant to be an insult either. It's just a difference in taste. I love seeing the effort people put into their cars.

TornadoredGen3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy-T, Jetta Tsi, SI,A5
Country flag
At the end of the day, do what you want to do. I don't think that's the "problem with the car scene these days".

The problem with the car scene is that it's so divisive.. No matter what you drive, there's always going to be someone that doesn't like it. For you it may be air lift and widebodies that you don't like and some people might not like civics.

The way I see it, I'm not paying for the car so why should it concern me. Cars are a passion, if your car makes you happy then that's all that matters.
NO NO nooo. These kind of statements its whats wrong with people in car scene in general. Matter of fact I've seen it in other domains such as fashion, Wine making and other craftsmanship . Grown ass people cannot accept or even process constructive, objective criticism anymore. Let alone if someone was being subjective. They either go home and cry to their momma or outright dismiss the constructive part of the critique.
The division in car scene is alot smaller then it was 15, 20,30 years ago. Now people have multiple cars in their their life times with multiple brands and models. So many or most of us have knowledge and experience from different brands and we see things in many points of view and have a less cult like attitude, like ford and Chevy had back in the 50 and 60s
Problem is when you see something that doesn't belong and it does look hideous by most standards, like the overly camed 24inch wheels, mustang pin striping in a beige camry, or a two tier rear wing in a passat with 16's. WE get it "YOU do what YOU want to DO" or "its my car no Your car" Or "you not paying for my car so is not any of your business " are such a weak and almost infantile o shit i cant deal with criticism comments, that is does more harm to a person in the long run.
You dont have to abide or to do as i say but you also have to recognize tat constructive criticism is what will make you and the car scene as a general better

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
The division in car scene is alot smaller then it was 15, 20,30 years ago. Now people have multiple cars in their their life times with multiple brands and models. So many or most of us have knowledge and experience from different brands and we see things in many points of view and have a less cult like attitude, like ford and Chevy had back in the 50 and 60s
Iā€™ll agree. you hit the nail on the head
Sponsored