Am I doing it right?

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevrolet 1500, 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Got my new HB sport and washed it after a couple weeks for the first time. I used clay bar afterwards. Then Ultima Paint Protect Plus with 2 coats and to the wheels as well.

Since it's new I didnt polish first but should I have?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This basically outlines what I will be doing. Just waiting on one product to come in that was backordered. I'm also going to go over it with Iron-X before claying.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
IMO you don't want to use polish on a new car, all it does is grind off the clear coat as it contains abrasives. I just use a good synthetic polymer wax like Meguires ultimate liquid. Another thing I learned is to use a good carwash concentrate liquid(like Meguires) and add some hair conditioner to it. It makes it real smooth and slippery and leaves the car as shiny as if you waxed it.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Unless there is dealer-instilled damage in the paintwork (ie swirls, scratches, etc), then there is no real need to polish.

However, during transport there would have been a fair amount of fallout on the car. Using a product like IronX will chemically remove much of that, and you can followup with a light claybar process only if (and where) required.

Then, add your preferred protection and you're good to go!

PS - only use products designed for vehicles. Invest in a couple quality wash mitts and shampoos. There are some great products out there that don't cost an arm and a leg, and will leave great durable results.
Sponsored