SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
  • Banned
I note the block and head material, and recall horror stories going way back when aluminum was first tried. I assume things have been refined but any info would be most welcome.
Sponsored

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I note the block and head material, and recall horror stories going way back when aluminum was first tried. I assume things have been refined but any info would be most welcome.
Honda has been using Al on their V-6 J engines for a long while without any issues. There are numerous examples of these engines being boosted to well over 1000hp without any problems.

So, I'm not worried about a easy working 1.5T.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Ahh doesn't like aluminum block and heads despite it being used in Hondas for the last 20 years. You're so old school, like your profile pic would suggest

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
No need to be an ass, Newflyer... ;)

Yeah. Iron block and Aluminum heads were the REAL eye-opening years. Two high-temperature components made of materials with vastly different coefficients of heat absorption made for a LOT of warped heads! Aluminum is so trouble-free and pervasive now I don't even think about it twice. It used to be such an exotic material, didn't it?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Go get an FCA vehicle with a hemi if iron block and 2 valves per cylinder is still your thing. Quite frankly, I'd be more concerned about the turbocharger or the fuel injection system on the 1.5T before worrying about the block.

quadna71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring sedan
Country flag
I think the OP was just opening up a line of discussion so people can discuss pros and cons. Why all the fast negativity?

OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
  • Banned
WOW !, what a can of worms, from a simple question ! Thanks all for responses. So far I'm not even sure if the Civic aluminum blocks have cylinder liners, though I suspect that they must, and probably the same for all aluminum blocks.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WOW !, what a can of worms, from a simple question ! Thanks all for responses. So far I'm not even sure if the Civic aluminum blocks have cylinder liners, though I suspect that they must, and probably the same for all aluminum blocks.
Well, if we can steer this thread back to a sane line of discourse:

Yes, the Honda engines have Al liners. At the Columbus airport (John Glenn International, as it is now known:thumbsup:), Honda has several exhibits, including an example of the 2.0 engine w/CVT that also is used to power the CRV. They make specific mention of the all-Aluminium construction of the engine (there is a picture of that display in my garage).

In one tuner's video with a 1200hp Honda Odyssey, he mentions that he removed the J's Al liners and replaced them with steel because he was worried about deformation at the extremely high manifold pressures over the long term, but that's the only person who's specifically mentioned any concerns about them at all. Emphasis again: 1200hp engine. :beer:

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing

Yes, the Honda engines have Al liners. At the Columbus airport (John Glenn International, as it is now known:thumbsup:), Honda has several exhibits, including an example of the 2.0 engine w/CVT that also is used to power the CRV. They make specific mention of the all-Aluminium construction of the engine (there is a picture of that display in my garage).

In one tuner's video with a 1200hp Honda Odyssey, he mentions that he removed the J's Al liners and replaced them with steel because he was worried about deformation at the extremely high manifold pressures over the long term, but that's the only person who's specifically mentioned any concerns about them at all. Emphasis again: 1200hp engine. :beer:
Call it what you want, I will still call it Port Columbus international airport :)

OP
OP
SteveGG

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics

1200 hp !? Where was that ? On the Titanic ? Or a super tank ? Not familiar with the Qdyssey. Have to Google it.
I would have thought, always steel liners.
Wonder what's the alloy composition of the aluminum components ?

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1200 hp !? Where was that ? On the Titanic ? Or a super tank ? Not familiar with the Qdyssey. Have to Google it.
I would have thought, always steel liners.
Wonder what's the alloy composition of the aluminum components ?
Odyssey is Honda's minivan. Same platform as the pilot, both share the V6 J engine with the Accord.

Sponsored