ALTA Shift Cable Lockdown to remove even gear crunch?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do not think that is the case, but I have not installed it myself.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a more elaborate solution to the ziptie method that Acuity is using and does not require drilling or anything. This plate eliminates the cable slap/clunk but Im pretty sure thats it. I dont have either so I cant say to how effective they are... hopefully someone can chime in.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I bought and installed this piece a couple months ago. I gave it a shot after installing all the acuity cable bushings, base bushings, centering spring, and rocker arm because I was still getting the crunch. Overall, it's definitely dulled the crunch but you can kind of still feel it, it's just more subtle. Kinda like listening to music through speakers with earplugs in, if that makes sense. More often than not though, my shifts are considerably smoother and I don't get as much resistance going into even gears. Also, I think it feels looser/less firm than when it was first installed. Wondering if the o-rings they use to clamp the cable to the lockdown get loose over time.

Need to buy a jack/stands so I can swap out the MT fluid with Amsoil. Already bought a few quarts but the dealer wouldn't do it, so I'm just gonna learn to do the work myself. Hoping that'll be the nail in the coffin for this crunch feeling.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Thanks! I am going to remain stock shifter. Already have cable bushings. Planning to base bushing & centering spring & fluid.
I'll hold off on the rocker (sometimes I miss 3 and go into 5 lol) and the cable lockdown

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks! I am going to remain stock shifter. Already have cable bushings. Planning to base bushing & centering spring & fluid.
I'll hold off on the rocker (sometimes I miss 3 and go into 5 lol) and the cable lockdown
the rocker is well worth the money. of all the things i installed on the shifter, the rocker made the biggest, most noticeable difference.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
really, I sometimes go 2-5 accidentally and am worried that it tightens up the space left and right. Then I'd be going into 5th all the time lol

The rocker arm is okay without the Cable Lockdown or should I get the Cable Lockdown too?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
really, I sometimes go 2-5 accidentally and am worried that it tightens up the space left and right. Then I'd be going into 5th all the time lol

The rocker arm is okay without the Cable Lockdown or should I get the Cable Lockdown too?
damm 2-5? i dont know how you do that dude

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I found that switching to the Type R assembly stiffened the lateral shifter motion enough that I didn't feel like I needed the Acuity part. That said, I also installed the Alta lockdown together with the Type R assembly. I feel like together, they smoothed out the shifter substantially (but not completely). I still get some notchy shifts, but they are less "crunchy". I also find that the % of even gear shifts that are buttery smooth has gone up a fair amount.

Unfortunately, following my installation, I did experience one undesired side effect. Whenever I pull hard for an even gear (usually under heavy acceleration), I get this low pitched popping squeak sound. It honestly sound like something being yanked out of place. True to this analogy, when I then go to shift up into an odd numbered gear, I hear it again (like something being popped back into place). The sound will then not come back until I pull hard for another even gear. It also doesn't happen with light to moderate shifts - only hard pulls elicit it.

I don't know whether this is being caused by the Type R assembly or the Alta lock down, but I intend to remove the lock down to see whether it goes away or not. If I had to recommend only one upgrade right now, it would be the Type R assembly and not the lock down.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found that switching to the Type R assembly stiffened the lateral shifter motion enough that I didn't feel like I needed the Acuity part. That said, I also installed the Alta lockdown together with the Type R assembly. I feel like together, they smoothed out the shifter substantially (but not completely). I still get some notchy shifts, but they are less "crunchy". I also find that the % of even gear shifts that are buttery smooth has gone up a fair amount.

Unfortunately, following my installation, I did experience one undesired side effect. Whenever I pull hard for an even gear (usually under heavy acceleration), I get this low pitched popping squeak sound. It honestly sound like something being yanked out of place. True to this analogy, when I then go to shift up into an odd numbered gear, I hear it again (like something being popped back into place). The sound will then not come back until I pull hard for another even gear. It also doesn't happen with light to moderate shifts - only hard pulls elicit it.

I don't know whether this is being caused by the Type R assembly or the Alta lock down, but I intend to remove the lock down to see whether it goes away or not. If I had to recommend only one upgrade right now, it would be the Type R assembly and not the lock down.
My guess is the noise you are hearing is the plastic shifter cable end on the rocker arm. If you took that spring off, you probably saw how weird it was. I am guessing that you are getting some slight movement on hard odd numbered shifts, because that rocker arm is moving slightly.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My guess is the noise you are hearing is the plastic shifter cable end on the rocker arm. If you took that spring off, you probably saw how weird it was. I am guessing that you are getting some slight movement on hard odd numbered shifts, because that rocker arm is moving slightly.
Hmm, maybe I didn't get it seated back on there perfectly? I'll have to break it down and take a look - thanks.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, maybe I didn't get it seated back on there perfectly? I'll have to break it down and take a look - thanks.
Let me know. I was not a big fan of the way it attaches on there. I might put a better c clip on at some point.....if I ever take apart the center console again.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Let me know. I was not a big fan of the way it attaches on there. I might put a better c clip on at some point.....if I ever take apart the center console again.
I can tell you that I had to reapply the metal lockdown piece several times in order to get it to sit well enough. In the process of screwing and unscrewing it, I noticed that the screws had actually punched through and deformed the shifter assembly's plastic. Was not a fan of that

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can tell you that I had to reapply the metal lockdown piece several times in order to get it to sit well enough. In the process of screwing and unscrewing it, I noticed that the screws had actually punched through and deformed the shifter assembly's plastic. Was not a fan of that
It doesn't puncture through. I have this product installed and it basically did what it's suppose to. Acuity drills holes through the deformed shifter assembly's plastic so really no difference. This however screws and stays into the plastic but not actually go through and had loctite applied as well.
Sponsored