First Name
Spiked
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Country flag
Anyone running these on their Civic?

I've used the All-Weather tires in the past on various cars with good success through winters (Vredestein Quatrac3, Nokian WRG3, Nordman WR, Kumho HA31).

I'm looking for a set of tires that I can run all winter, and still drive in the summer.
Sponsored

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone running these on their Civic?

I've used the All-Weather tires in the past on various cars with good success through winters (Vredestein Quatrac3, Nokian WRG3, Nordman WR, Kumho HA31).

I'm looking for a set of tires that I can run all winter, and still drive in the summer.
What's your experience with the Vredestein's in terms of traction and tread life? Seem to read mixed reviews on tirerack.

OP
OP

SpikedLemon

First Name
Spiked
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Country flag
The Vredestein were my favorites. Unfortunately they don't make the Quatrac3 and it's been replaced by the 5 (which I'm told is better).

Traction was optimal in a -5C to +20C range. They got a little softer above 20C but nothing really disconcerting - just noticeable. I don't recall noise being an issue at all.
They're a far cry better in winter than all-season tires and did very well in hard-pack snow and reasonably on ice. I don't recall any issues with deeper snow.
Mine were V-speed rated and held a good line on ramps, rode well on the highway, and had great traction in wet/dry.

Downside: they survived only ~40,000km before they needed to be replaced; I scalloped the tread pattern heavily. I would have got another set but I couldn't get them anymore from my local shop.

I replaced them with a set of Michelin Defenders. While the Defenders got much better ratings on Tire Rack but I will assure you that the Vredestein is far superior everywhere in my experiences. Even considering the Defenders to be new and having an edge against an old (and well abused) Quatrac: the Defender was miserable and I hated them - the sucked in the rain, were far too soft to maintain a line, and were miserable in the winter.

I tossed out the Defenders after ~60,000km with lots of life on them for the Kumho HA31. The Kumho rode better than the Defender but the dry & wet traction wasn't anywhere near the Vredestein. I didn't dislike the Kumho as much as I hated the Michelin set.

For comparison, in the winter, my wife's car has the Nokian WRG3 in the same timeframe - those are effectively winter tires that can be driven in the summer. The Nokian is a superior winter tire but too soft for my tastes in warmer weather. The Nordman WR is an older generation of the Nokian WRG3 - they're similar as the Nokian but cheaper.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there an update, did you already bought new all season tires?
If yes, which did you choose, and how do you like them?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A question to these people using all weather tires: how often do you swap your front tires to the back?
How many miles do you drive before swapping?

I've heard about people doing this twice a year and some others don't do it at all until they are worn and then they just buy new tires after four or five years.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought rotation at around 7,500 miles or so was a standard thing for tire longevity and even wear.

It's worked for me for 40+ years. Basically, I rotate tires every other oil change.

Last edited:

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright, I've never heard of this standard before. Just wanted to hear some opinions of some Civic drivers how they handle it.

In the german forums some people said they rotate them every 6,000 miles others do it after 25,000. Some people don't do it at all and just buy new tires at around 40,000 miles.

But I think it's a good idea to let the shop rotate the tires when they make an oil change next time.

OP
OP

SpikedLemon

First Name
Spiked
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Country flag
A question to these people using all weather tires: how often do you swap your front tires to the back?
How many miles do you drive before swapping?

I've heard about people doing this twice a year and some others don't do it at all until they are worn and then they just buy new tires after four or five years.
Dredging this up, since I'd been off the forum here for a while (reasons).

I went with dedicated winter option on the Civic, and mounted to the OEM wheels. As for the all-season set, I went with Pirelli PZero All-seasons. I absolutely love the the Pirellis, but the Yokohama IceGuard winter rubber is miserably bad in damp conditions and can not recommend them at all.

The other car, however, went with Nokian's WR. The Nokian's are good when new, and reasonably OK for most of the remainder of their life. I rotate them front-back around 15-20,000km or when I notice there's an unusual wear pattern starting. Somewhere around every-other oil change.
Sponsored