All about 2020 Civic Type R

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought it would be a good idea to have this topic now since we are starting to receive them at the dealers and being a refresh, I want to know if anything more is different including the obvious or lacking from the previous years...

To start off I already have a few questions
- I noticed that there is no trunk release button inside the car. Did previous years have them?
- Are all 2020 Type R Touring? or will Honda release a non-touring for cheaper later?
- The second gear issue, is that only specific to a certain batch, I wonder if it has been fixed on the 2020 or did Honda ever acknowledge it is an issue.
- I am really surprise how pronounced the power feels, very linear throughout the rpm range , I wonder if the fake engine sound coming from the speakers has something to do with it. Can it be turned off?

For the new owners, what are your impressions? even if you got a new 2019, please chime in on what made you get it instead of a 2020.

For the experienced CTR owner, any advice you can give us?
Sponsored

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
All of the above has been covered in other threads and the 2020 changes don't warrant a separate thread as the differences are minimal with some simply being transferred from other markets.

- I noticed that there is no trunk release button inside the car. Did previous years have them? There's no trunk, why would there be a trunk release?

- Are all 2020 Type R Touring? or will Honda release a non-touring for cheaper later? Depends on the market.

- The second gear issue, is that only specific to a certain batch, I wonder if it has been fixed on the 2020 or did Honda ever acknowledge it is an issue. Take a look at the thread - https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/the-infamous-2nd-gear-crunch.12890

- I am really surprise how pronounced the power feels, very linear throughout the rpm range , I wonder if the fake engine sound coming from the speakers has something to do with it. Can it be turned off? Again, covered in another thread - https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/thoughts-on-2020-updates.47885/

OP
OP
izzyC-EX

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the references!

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
1. In R mode, long holding the TC button for 10 seconds will fully disable it, I never realized this for the year and half I owned the car LOL.

2. If you want more oomph from the shity speakers without spending money, root your head unit and install Viper4android, makes a huge difference.

3. Hondata's traction control system is really nice for crappy conditions (bad roads, crsppy weather)

4. +R mode will eat through your rear pads if you drive it hard as the VSA system will actively brake the rear wheels to help you turn in.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I thought it would be a good idea to have this topic now since we are starting to receive them at the dealers and being a refresh, I want to know if anything more is different including the obvious or lacking from the previous years...

To start off I already have a few questions
- I noticed that there is no trunk release button inside the car. Did previous years have them?
- Are all 2020 Type R Touring? or will Honda release a non-touring for cheaper later?
- The second gear issue, is that only specific to a certain batch, I wonder if it has been fixed on the 2020 or did Honda ever acknowledge it is an issue.
- I am really surprise how pronounced the power feels, very linear throughout the rpm range , I wonder if the fake engine sound coming from the speakers has something to do with it. Can it be turned off?

For the new owners, what are your impressions? even if you got a new 2019, please chime in on what made you get it instead of a 2020.

For the experienced CTR owner, any advice you can give us?
  • There is no trunk release on any of the FK8 CTRs
  • All US models are Touring. I think the only place that has a non-Touring CTR would be the UK where they have a Sportline now. The Limited Edition is also coming in 2021.
  • Honda never acknowledged the issue. We are unsure if its still an issue (edit: a user has stated they have had the 1-2 grind and 4th gear lockout)
  • VTEC is actually used to smooth out the power delivery in the lower RPM ranges, and the turbo normally kicks in pretty early to begin with, so once you're above a certain RPM it will be very smooth. Active Sound Control (ASC) can't be turned off from the infotainment system. You'd have to physically unplug the device; it sits behind the glove box. Oh, I should add that ASC will vary in loudness depending on what mode you have the car in. So Comfort is minimal (if it is on), Sport will be moderate, and +R will put it on loud.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Honda never acknowledged the issue. We are unsure if its still an issue.
Looks like someone with a 2020 posted in the thread indicating they have the issue.

OP
OP
izzyC-EX

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The second gear issues worry me but I have not experienced it.
Sponsored