Warrengk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic
Country flag
Hey there, I had my steering wheel replaced on my 21 sport because the leather was unraveling, however when I got my car back, The steering wheel was off to the left. The dealer did some sketchy stuff I think to make the steering wheel straight? They adjusted the toe way out of spec. I went to another dealer and had a 4 wheel alignment done, they said it’s within spec as below, but then, my steering wheel was off center to the left again. I’m tired of fighting this and idk what to do, do they have to take the steering wheel off to recenter and re align? What do you guys think of the current specs? Also I kind of feel like the back alignment is off, a tad, or isn’t “straight” I’m not sure how to say it but it could be in my mind, what should I do I’m so upset
Honda Civic 10th gen Alignment issues? FFEA005F-278B-4065-9261-0E884978CF87
Sponsored

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
It is not the wheel alignment issue, it is the steering wheel not centered when re-installed. Go back to the steering wheel shop and they will re-install back to the centered position.

OP
OP

Warrengk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic
Country flag
It is not the wheel alignment issue, it is the steering wheel not centered when re-installed. Go back to the steering wheel shop and they will re-install back to the centered position.
I know and that’s what I’ve been trying to tell them but they are trying to fix it via the alignment. Idk what to do.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alignment was ok before steering wheel replacement.
Alignment is off after ? it is a joke !

This mechanic is a bull shitter

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
To my knowledge a steering wheel is keyed & can only go on one way. The alignment may be correct, but it could have been aligned with the steering wheel not perfectly centered. IOW the steering wheel is installed correctly but the technician had it turned slightly to one side when he did the alignment. So the toe specs are OK but they were set when the steering rack wasn't centered.

What I've done on some cars is adjust the tie rods. Make one side a little longer & the other side a little shorter by the same amount, therefore the toe stays the same. One way to look at it is that you are adjusting the steering rack. I may have to make several small adjustments to get the steering wheel centered exactly the way I want it. Most shops probably aren't going to spend the time to do that.

Corey2k8g

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I'm having the same exact issue when I put my type R steering wheel. I believe I re centered it. Just have to bring it back to the shop for a final check on Tuesday. See what happens

OP
OP

Warrengk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic
Country flag
I'm having the same exact issue when I put my type R steering wheel. I believe I re centered it. Just have to bring it back to the shop for a final check on Tuesday. See what happens
I got back Tuesday, they said they are going to measure the tie rod ends and if they are extended that means the street wheel is off center and needs to be re centered. The teeth on the steering wheel do not have like a center line or dot, so I think they put it on wrong :/

OP
OP

Warrengk

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic
Country flag
To my knowledge a steering wheel is keyed & can only go on one way. The alignment may be correct, but it could have been aligned with the steering wheel not perfectly centered. IOW the steering wheel is installed correctly but the technician had it turned slightly to one side when he did the alignment. So the toe specs are OK but they were set when the steering rack wasn't centered.

What I've done on some cars is adjust the tie rods. Make one side a little longer & the other side a little shorter by the same amount, therefore the toe stays the same. One way to look at it is that you are adjusting the steering rack. I may have to make several small adjustments to get the steering wheel centered exactly the way I want it. Most shops probably aren't going to spend the time to do that.
Yea I go back Tuesday, they said they are measuring the tie rod thread to see if it’s off, if it is, that means that it was adjusted to keep the steering wheel straight. Then they said they would move the steering wheel a notch to the right. Ugh, if I tell them to leave it and make sure the alignment is perfect, does that mess up anything suspension wise if, like you said, one tie rod is extended a little more than the other. Thanks!

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The steering wheel isn’t keyed. It’s just a bunch of splines (see picture below). You can actually install it upside down. It’s very easy to be off by a spline or two, such as in the OP’s case. Mine was off by a spline when I swapped it. It’s a little annoying when driving it but I’ve learned to drive straight with the steering wheel slightly off center. But I understand this could absolutely drive someone else crazy.

Honda Civic 10th gen Alignment issues? F18F443E-6703-43C7-910A-E4960FEA85B8

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I know and that’s what I’ve been trying to tell them but they are trying to fix it via the alignment. Idk what to do.
Show and proof them the alignment result slip that the wheel alignment is aligned within spec and the steering wheel is not centered.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The steering wheel isn’t keyed. It’s just a bunch of splines (see picture below). You can actually install it upside down. It’s very easy to be off by a spline or two, such as in the OP’s case. Mine was off by a spline when I swapped it. It’s a little annoying when driving it but I’ve learned to drive straight with the steering wheel slightly off center. But I understand this could absolutely drive someone else crazy.
Sorry about that, I presumed all steering wheels were keyed nowadays.

Honda Civic 10th gen Alignment issues? 1625974782365

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry about that, I presumed all steering wheels were keyed nowadays.

1625974782365.png
Keying a steering wheel actually makes sense from a installer’s POV. Not sure what’s the rationale for not keying it unless it saves money or it’s installed by a robot during assembly.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Show and proof them the alignment result slip that the wheel alignment is aligned within spec and the steering wheel is not centered.

+1000

Answer #4 ;

Alignment was ok before steering wheel replacement.
Alignment is off after ? it is a joke !

This mechanic is a bull shitter
Sponsored