Alignment issue - 2017 Touring

mzebby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Si
Hi everyone,

I picked up my 2017 Civic sedan touring last week and have put 500kms on it. I've driven it on the highway a few times and at around 100km/h (normal highway speed), I have to correct my steering wheel slightly to the right or else the car will go left.

For example, if I'm driving at 100km/h and I perfectly align my steering wheel with my dash board, I start to drift left in about 3-5 seconds. So then I have to slightly counter-steer my wheel to the right to go straight. I then have to keep my steering wheel slightly right for the whole drive on the highway.

I have heard/read on this forum that some misalignment is ok, but this seems excessive. Anyone else have had this type of issue? Should I go back to the dealer and have them re-align everything?
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Warranty and bring it to the dealer.

Pretty easy to check alignment and any misalignment with your eyes to be honest.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Also, take into account the crown of the road. While my Civic does goes straight on most roads, there are some that have a more aggressive slope (usually highways) and can cause the car to drift slightly/require a slight counter input as you are describing.

If you are in the right lane, the slope may cause the car go slightly right; left lane, car may go slightly left. The center lane(s) vary depending on where the top of the crown was put in the road. This is how you can guesstimate if you do have an alignment issue or not, although it's certainly not an accurate way to measure alignment. If the car drifts both directions then it is likely just the road. However, say you are in the left lane and the car drifts left, but in the far right lane the car goes straight, this may indicate an alignment issue.

Either way, I would take it to the dealer and have the car checked out. Also, keep in mind that other problems that put a drag on a certain wheel can mimic an alignment issue. I once had a wheel bearing go bad, however it was making no noise, and the wheel was tight. I fought a similar drifting issue for over a year. Alignments always checked out, yet the drift was still there. It wasn't until the bearing started making noise and was replaced that the drifting issue was fixed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mzebby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Si
Great, thanks for the responses. I will go back to the dealer in the new year.

The steering wheel itself is off-centered as if I perfectly square up my steering wheel with my dash board, even on a flat straight road, the car will go left anyway. So the steering wheel itself is slightly off-center

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Great, thanks for the responses. I will go back to the dealer in the new year.

The steering wheel itself is off-centered as if I perfectly square up my steering wheel with my dash board, even on a flat straight road, the car will go left anyway. So the steering wheel itself is slightly off-center
Ya something isn't right. My car is dead on. If you go on the 401, the car should drift right in the right lane and left in the left lane because of the slope of the road. That's how I usually tell.
Sponsored