Alignment after new wheels and tires?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
@rdabellano @inv4zn The wheels and tires were from tirerack.com and they came with the hub rings.
Did the wheel/tires come installed (ie tire was already set on the wheels), and balanced? Or did buddy do that part?

Maybe buddy jacked up the car on the tie-rods and messed up your alignment. Did you check each tire pressure? Are the hub centric rings made for the car? Center bore should be 64.1 mm. Are they directional tires?
Sponsored

OP
OP

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did the wheel/tires come installed (ie tire was already set on the wheels), and balanced? Or did buddy do that part?

Maybe buddy jacked up the car on the tie-rods and messed up your alignment. Did you check each tire pressure? Are the hub centric rings made for the car? Center bore should be 64.1 mm. Are they directional tires?
@inv4zn They came preinstalled from tirerack but my buddy balanced them out and when he jacked up my car he did it from under neither the driver door and front passenger door. I watched him install them and everything went smooth and I didn't see anything happen that might have damaged my suspension.
I assume tirerack sent me the correct ring for my car lol
I will take my car back and have the wheels reinstalled before I move forward.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
@inv4zn They came preinstalled from tirerack but my buddy balanced them out and when he jacked up my car he did it from under neither the driver door and front passenger door. I watched him install them and everything went smooth and I didn't see anything happen that might have damaged my suspension.
I assume tirerack sent me the correct ring for my car lol
I will take my car back and have the wheels reinstalled before I move forward.
There are 3 common causes for vibration with wheels/tires, not counting suspension damage.
- Unbalanced wheels
- Lack of hubcentric rings
- Shifted tire belts (defective tires)

As for your off-center steering wheel, you'll need to get an alignment, from a proper alignment place.

OP
OP

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are 3 common causes for vibration with wheels/tires, not counting suspension damage.
- Unbalanced wheels
- Lack of hubcentric rings
- Shifted tire belts (defective tires)

As for your off-center steering wheel, you'll need to get an alignment, from a proper alignment place.
OK thank you, I'm new to this scene as you can probably tell.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
OK thank you, I'm new to this scene as you can probably tell.
No problem at all - I think the slight animosity here came from you placing trust in your buddy's word, and it alone.

An off centre steering wheel, and vibrations are not "normal" -- even if your friend tells you they are.

rdabellano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BMW 135i, 2013 Subaru WRX STI, 2009 Honda Civic LX
No problem at all - I think the slight animosity here came from you placing trust in your buddy's word, and it alone.

An off centre steering wheel, and vibrations are not "normal" -- even if your friend tells you they are.
Hold on.. If they were from tire rack, then once you get the rims and tires, it should be ready to mount to the car. It's simple as that... why did it need to be re-balanced from your friend's shop? Tire rack balance it out free of charge.

OP
OP

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hold on.. If they were from tire rack, then once you get the rims and tires, it should be ready to mount to the car. It's simple as that... why did it need to be re-balanced from your friend's shop? Tire rack balance it out free of charge.
@rdabellano He said that sometimes they don't come zero'd out so he rebalanced them for me.

rdabellano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BMW 135i, 2013 Subaru WRX STI, 2009 Honda Civic LX
@rdabellano He said that sometimes they don't come zero'd out so he rebalanced them for me.
I'm so confuse... I've bought a lot of rims and tires from tirerack lots of times, and I've never had a problem with them after putting them on. What made you ask your friend to check if the rims need to be re-balanced? He might have messed up the re-balancing part...otherwise I don't know what else to say.

OP
OP

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm so confuse... I've bought a lot of rims and tires from tirerack lots of times, and I've never had a problem with them after putting them on. What made you ask your friend to check if the rims need to be re-balanced? He might have messed up the re-balancing part...otherwise I don't know what else to say.
@rdabellano I didn't ask him to re-balance them. I brought my car to the shop and his manager said to me "yea (my friend) just finished making sure the wheels were balanced out because sometimes they show up not balanced right" and I just went with it because I have little to no experience in all of this. I'll definitely take them back and have them re-balanced but as for the off center steering wheel I'm sure I'll have to get it realigned to have that fixed.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I guess the question everyone has been dying to answer is, did they charge you, and if so, how much?

You can throw a wheel on the balancer to see if it's balanced. It's like 5 seconds of labour and pressing a button.

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
What brand, model and tire size did you purchase for your 18x8 wheel? Sometimes with a proper tire balance on the wheel, the tread pattern of the tires alone can sometimes be enough to make a car pull to one direction.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What brand, model and tire size did you purchase for your 18x8 wheel? Sometimes with a proper tire balance on the wheel, the tread pattern of the tires alone can sometimes be enough to make a car pull to one direction.
Only time I've ever had new tires pull was unbalanced inflation or new tires following the grove in the road - but it's been years since I've run tires or rims of non-stock sizes.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I would put money on suspension or steering component damage during jacking. The jacking points under the door area are there for a reason and your buddy should have used them. If the Civic had a frame then it could be jacked from "under the car". I've had plenty of cars and NEVER have I had to get an alignment done after installing a new set of tires.