ALARM issues related to BCM acting up...

alvdan88

Daniels EX-T
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
So here's the long story my 2016 Civic EX-T started acting up a few weeks ago, it would lock and the alarm would beep (like normal) when I'd go inside or when I would leave the car. Then out of nowhere the alarm would go off. No one was trying to break in and the only way I could turn off the alarm was to put the physical key into the car door. All the accessories had turned on without a key and when I would push the Start/Stop button to turn the car off it would turn right back on like it was possessed. I had one of those Aftermarket alarms the dealer includes in every car that I promptly removed upon reading MANY forums on here against their use and when I did I could turn the car on and off with no issues.

But that didn't fix the issue, the car would still lock and arm the alarm when exiting like normal. Then again it would turn on all the accessories and sound the alarm. Same issue as before only now I could turn the car off with out it turning back on.

I feel like I've tried everything in the forums to fix this myself and I'm questioning the Body Control Module everyone keeps mentioning... Everyone is saying that's the culprit in other posts. If it didn't need to be reprogrammed it would be a 30 min replacement as its super easy to remove. I've been having to disconnect the battery whenever I park so that I don't wake the neighbors at 2am or kill my battery.

This morning I dropped it off at the Dealer here in North County and they will call me back with an update and I'll let everyone know what the status is.

Wish me luck everyone and I hope it doesn't cost me 3 arms and 2 legs...
Sponsored

OP
OP

alvdan88

Daniels EX-T
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just a update, They called me and said they will perform a software update and reprogram the Body Control Module for $150 and this usually fixes the issue if not then they will have to replace the BCM (Body Control Module). They will keep it over night and let me know in the morning what the damage is.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Just a update, They called me and said they will perform a software update and reprogram the Body Control Module for $150 and this usually fixes the issue if not then they will have to replace the BCM (Body Control Module). They will keep it over night and let me know in the morning what the damage is.
Keep us updated!

OP
OP

alvdan88

Daniels EX-T
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Norm Reeves HONDA of North County said the Software update and BCM Re-Programming did not solve the issue. Alarm still went off while in their shop. They said It is 99.99% the BCM that needs to be replaced. Cost of $558 Parts and Labor with 1 year warranty or 12k miles. Which is better than HONDA of Escondido said, they ball parked $1200!

They said car will be ready tomorrow. I asked HYPOTHETICALLY if this does not fix the issue what would they do, and he gave me peace of mind that It wouldn't cost me in addition. Overall very happy with this Dealer Experience as much as I avoid them AT ALL COSTS! If the BCM didn't have to be programmed I could replace it in under 30 min as I removed it and put it back in hopes that would fix the issue.

So All in all $150 for Diagnostic and Software Update/Labor, and $558 for BCM/Labor I am out $700+. My advice to anyone who is suspecting the BCM just to have it replaced and save $150. I was gambling and LOST! Can't blame me tho..

I'll report the status as time goes on and Call HONDA America to file a complaint and point them to all of the posts on here of people having this issue...

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
On Canadian models we have this warranty for 8 years/130,000Km

Warrenty.JPG
How can a Body Control Module possibly be an Emissions part covered by the Emissions Warranty?:dunno::hmm: No dice, I'm afraid.

Parts such as:
38809-TBD-A31
38809-TGH-A43

Interestingly, the prices of these parts (apparently) are quite different depending on the model. For example for my ST it seems to start at $350+, while for sedans it could be below $200.

OP
OP

alvdan88

Daniels EX-T
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
How can a Body Control Module possibly be an Emissions part covered by the Emissions Warranty?:dunno::hmm: No dice, I'm afraid.

Parts such as:
38809-TBD-A31
38809-TGH-A43

Interestingly, the prices of these parts (apparently) are quite different depending on the model. For example for my ST it seems to start at $350+, while for sedans it could be below $200.
YEP you were right, no dice on it being part of the emissions warranty. But the guy at the counter checked for me anyways cause he wasn't sure himself. I payed up and the car is now working with the new BCM. No issues so far. I asked for the old part back because technically it's mine and he hesitated but ultimately gave it back to me.

I want to contact Continental to see if there may be a warranty for the part itself, or if not take it apart and see if there are any physical damages that might be repairable. (Maybe could help someone in the future) The HONDA rep said they don't actually open them up, they just scan it with their reader and it's a pass or fail situation.

Ill post pictures when I do open it up because I don't think Continental will give me much hope.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If you really want to try to fix it, a common problem with electronics that is user fixable is a bad solder joint. You will probably need a magnifying glass (or an app on your phone) to view all the solder joints up close. Good luck!

OP
OP

alvdan88

Daniels EX-T
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
If you really want to try to fix it, a common problem with electronics that is user fixable is a bad solder joint. You will probably need a magnifying glass (or an app on your phone) to view all the solder joints up close. Good luck!
Oh yes that is exactly the thing I would be looking for! Lucky for me I work for a PCB manufacturer, so I have all the tools I need to diagnose. As for a fix, if its software related then I'm more out of luck.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Oh yes that is exactly the thing I would be looking for! Lucky for me I work for a PCB manufacturer, so I have all the tools I need to diagnose. As for a fix, if its software related then I'm more out of luck.
That's awesome!

swopie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-L
Country flag
Norm Reeves HONDA of North County said the Software update and BCM Re-Programming did not solve the issue. Alarm still went off while in their shop. They said It is 99.99% the BCM that needs to be replaced. Cost of $558 Parts and Labor with 1 year warranty or 12k miles. Which is better than HONDA of Escondido said, they ball parked $1200!

They said car will be ready tomorrow. I asked HYPOTHETICALLY if this does not fix the issue what would they do, and he gave me peace of mind that It wouldn't cost me in addition. Overall very happy with this Dealer Experience as much as I avoid them AT ALL COSTS! If the BCM didn't have to be programmed I could replace it in under 30 min as I removed it and put it back in hopes that would fix the issue.

So All in all $150 for Diagnostic and Software Update/Labor, and $558 for BCM/Labor I am out $700+. My advice to anyone who is suspecting the BCM just to have it replaced and save $150. I was gambling and LOST! Can't blame me tho..

I'll report the status as time goes on and Call HONDA America to file a complaint and point them to all of the posts on here of people having this issue...

swopie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-L
Country flag
My 2017 honda civic Touring developed a similar set of issues. Dealer attempted to reprogram the BCM which did not resolve the issues was advised it needed to be replaced. Also advised the part is on back order. The work around suggested by the dealer until the part arrived was to disconnect the battery when parking the car and then reconnect when ready to go again.

a little inconvenient but it did allow me to continue using the vehicle. I did forget to disconnect the battery several times after the dealer attempted to reprogram it and of course the car malfunctioned.

about two weeks later. I was heading to my car for my morning commute and when I lifted the hood to reconnect the battery, I found that I had forgotten to disconnect it the night before.

I expected the battery to be totally drained but the car started up just fine and has been fine ever since. no issues at all over the last 2 weeks.

The only reason I can think of for the problem disappearing is that perhaps Honda sent out a Over The Air update to fix the issue.

I've read that many manufacturers do this but I can't seem to find any articles that confirms Honda is one of them.

Anyone have any info? Anyone else ever experience issues with the BCM that suddenly disappeared?
Sponsored