Alarm Installation Yes or No?

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
So there was this thread that is maybe a dealer installed alarm.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/what-is-this-button.33226/

Would you install an alarm on the car? I think they have some sort already there if open the doors with windows down? I remember in the 80's it was all the rage. Today? Are car alarms even a thing? Back in the day I had one with a pocket beeper. Today, I would want something sent to my smart phone.

Is there a value to having an alarm?

Not sure my Civic would be stolen? Yes, insurance helps some. But I don't worry about as much as being car jacked. Do people still get alarms installed? Benefit?

What makes having one installed better than what comes with most cars similar to pressing the panic button on the key fob? Oh, yeah, key fob. Could that be cloned? Could the electronics in the car get hacked?

Another reason to drive a Civic verses a McLaren.
Sponsored

Dukester131

First Name
Jul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
My civic got stolen. Apparently it's really easy to capture the signal from fob to car. Common issue.
Honda doesnt Install alarms so I had one fitted.
I had issues with the remote starter which honda messed me around with but I figured out myself .
Bottom line alarms are something extra not fool proof .
Newer technology makes theft much easier
G. Luck

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
My Civic is a 2018 SI, a Canadian version. It came with alarm, right?

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 2019 Si, and had a blinking red dot when my car is locked.

One time, I parked my car and needed to rest for about ten minutes before going inside wherever I was going, and I think I locked the car with the fob when inside. Anyway, when I opened the car door from the inside afterward, the alarm went off (the horn-honking one).

So is there another kind of alarm I should be getting, or doesn't that sound pretty alarm-ish?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
yeah I have that red flash on the instrument panel. I’m guessing it means the car is armed against evil doers. Don’t think I’d get a aftermarket alarm, but I’ll probably get a clutch lock

OP
OP
kg4fxg

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I guess that is the point? From what I hear if they want to steal the whole car they can clone the key fob. Unless an alarm can send a message to my phone what good does it do? Message, "Your car has been stolen, find another way home from work".

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I guess I didn't read your whole first post, or didn't put together that you had already annexed the idea of that particular alarm being of use to your situation.

I was thinking of getting an alarm before I realized it is somewhat rigged with one already, though if I go back to the thought it's not exactly a terrible one. They aren't all that expensive. I was thinking it would cost upward to $1000+, when in fact they are all pretty much less than $500.

Is it worth it, though? I have no idea.

OP
OP
kg4fxg

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I guess what I am looking for....

What do you what out of an alarm? To be notified if your car is broke into? Stolen? To me the only way would be having some message sent to your phone. Assuming where you park at work is a good distance. Someone breaks a window, attempts to steal something, would a notification on your phone help?

Many would say do you really want to confront who is breaking into your car? Do you want to know it has happened? Or, would you rather leave work and just find broken glass? There is no one simple answer. I do not have a special alarm installed on the car and I don't lose sleep over it. I don't leave valuables in the car and anything in it can easily be replaced.

Sorry, I have not researched today aftermarket alarms. Would be interested if someone had a high tech alarm installed and what it does for them. I remember when having one was only an after market install. Now most have a red light and the typical horn and lights flash. So is there any compelling reason to have an aftermarket or dealer installed alarm? What would be the benefit? I park in my garage at home. But I do have cars outside. Had a webcam and could get notification if anyone did anything on the property. Nothing, but if they did and I confronted them with armed weapon I would go to jail for protecting my property? Fortunately no issues at present.

Out of all the options it appears that many are not getting after market alarms. Not to be negative, just not sure what the advantage would be?

So, car parked in driveway. If some teenager tries to break in the horn sounds. I run outside to see what is up. It works. Not sure it can get better than that? At least I know. Now, if you have an 80K car maybe having a GPS tracker would be helpful. But for a Civic? Not sure I want to go that route. Yes, it can happen. Odds? Not sure. Thank God for insurance.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I have never and probably will never install an aftermarket alarm. Seems like too much trouble when things go wrong. I'm always seeing people talk about how their car suddenly won't start. I'll pass.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Well, I guess that is the point? From what I hear if they want to steal the whole car they can clone the key fob. Unless an alarm can send a message to my phone what good does it do? Message, "Your car has been stolen, find another way home from work".
By the time the message makes it to your phone, see it and react, it'll probably already be too late.
And me, my phone is only with me at work. Everywhere else, its in an entirely different room most of the time

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I guess what I am looking for....

What do you what out of an alarm? To be notified if your car is broke into? Stolen? To me the only way would be having some message sent to your phone. Assuming where you park at work is a good distance. Someone breaks a window, attempts to steal something, would a notification on your phone help?

Many would say do you really want to confront who is breaking into your car? Do you want to know it has happened? Or, would you rather leave work and just find broken glass? There is no one simple answer. I do not have a special alarm installed on the car and I don't lose sleep over it. I don't leave valuables in the car and anything in it can easily be replaced.

Sorry, I have not researched today aftermarket alarms. Would be interested if someone had a high tech alarm installed and what it does for them. I remember when having one was only an after market install. Now most have a red light and the typical horn and lights flash. So is there any compelling reason to have an aftermarket or dealer installed alarm? What would be the benefit? I park in my garage at home. But I do have cars outside. Had a webcam and could get notification if anyone did anything on the property. Nothing, but if they did and I confronted them with armed weapon I would go to jail for protecting my property? Fortunately no issues at present.

Out of all the options it appears that many are not getting after market alarms. Not to be negative, just not sure what the advantage would be?

So, car parked in driveway. If some teenager tries to break in the horn sounds. I run outside to see what is up. It works. Not sure it can get better than that? At least I know. Now, if you have an 80K car maybe having a GPS tracker would be helpful. But for a Civic? Not sure I want to go that route. Yes, it can happen. Odds? Not sure. Thank God for insurance.

If you just reflected a moment, you could answer all those questions about whether a car alarm can be useful.
You would like to spend several hundred $ and be completely safe from car theft? Sorry, but nope.
Does it mean that a good car alarm is useless? Of course not.

Do you think your home door locks and flimsy doors prevent a burglary or home invasion? So why do you even have them and carry all those keys? In most suburban middle class homes in America the doors can be easily kicked in, the locks are all the same type and flimsy, etc. And the walls can be climbed, as we all know by now. :rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1: And LEOs can be outrun or killed. So why hire them?

All those things are at least deterrence and delay devices. They make the life of thieves a bit harder. It doesn't take a Ph.D. to figure out that locks, alarms, etc. give the evildoers many opportunities for making mistakes and leaving traces. Very few criminals are professionals, many are drunk and/or high, most are dumb. You may not be able to just shoot them, but if you know at least when exactly the attempt took place, you already have a piece of information that can facilitate police work or help others who have been or are yet to be attacked. So, do you have any more questions?

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just put a BEWARE OF DOG sign in the window. Would scare them off before they even approach the thing.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Just put a BEWARE OF DOG sign in the window. Would scare them off before they even approach the thing.
The best alarm/disable device is one that is UNIQUE. Any of the commercially purchased units .. the pro thieves have already figured out how to disable/over-ride them ..

They may however, stop the casual Joy Rider

OP
OP
kg4fxg

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like the beware of Dog Sign. Spent some time researching You Tube on car alarms. Not seeing much but the added features of remote start, or combining with a dash cam. No, not getting one. Not unless I find one with a cloaking mode. Make the car invisible but then someone would run into it.
Sponsored