Air Temperature from the vents

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I noticed today that when I have my air temp at the lowest temp setting, its cold. However as soon as I turn the dial to 16c the air comes out warm. Theres a massive temperature difference between the lowest setting and increasing the temperature by 1 degree. Is this normal? I wanted cool air but not cold air and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that even when the AC is turned on.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is there a malfunction with my cars blend doors for the fans. Thanks!!
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Definitely not normal. I had this kind of behavior in my CR-V intermittently years ago, but then it somehow reset itself and there were no problems since then. I would try to exercise the AC controls, turn it off and on, maybe it will "snap out of it".

OP
OP

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Definitely not normal. I had this kind of behavior in my CR-V intermittently years ago, but then it somehow reset itself and there were no problems since then. I would try to exercise the AC controls, turn it off and on, maybe it will "snap out of it".
Ive had a couple of other issues where, like you said, it resolved itself so Ill check it out when I leave work. Thank you

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I noticed today that when I have my air temp at the lowest temp setting, its cold. However as soon as I turn the dial to 16c the air comes out warm. Theres a massive temperature difference between the lowest setting and increasing the temperature by 1 degree. Is this normal? I wanted cool air but not cold air and there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that even when the AC is turned on.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is there a malfunction with my cars blend doors for the fans. Thanks!!
Was it cold outside when you were trying this?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can say that with my car, actually both the 17 and the 18, that there is really little difference between the lowest setting and say 68 degrees. Same going there other way not much increase from going from say 75 to hi.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yes sir. it was 0c here in Ottawa
I have had this same problem since I bought my car. If the temp outside drops below about 40F then the a/c will blow hot no matter what I set the temp for, unless I set it for “Lo” and then it’s just freezing cold. So I have no in between. It’s either cold as ice or hot like fire. But if it’s above say 50F then it starts to work normal. I really don’t know why the outside air temp affects my a/c in the car, but it does.

OP
OP

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I have had this same problem since I bought my car. If the temp outside drops below about 40F then the a/c will blow hot no matter what I set the temp for, unless I set it for “Lo” and then it’s just freezing cold. So I have no in between. It’s either cold as ice or hot like fire. But if it’s above say 50F then it starts to work normal. I really don’t know why the outside air temp affects my a/c in the car, but it does.
Yes this is exactly what Im having

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes this is exactly what Im having
I see yours is an lx as well. My hatchback ex doesn’t do this. Only my lx does this. I really don’t understand how the outside temperature has anything to do with the inside air temp settings. I’ve been needing to take it in to the dealer to see if they can fix it. But I would need to take it when it’s cold out. I live in southeast Texas so it’s rarely that cold here.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
That seems normal. The temperature setting you are adjusting is for the cabin temperature, not the air vent temperature. Setting the temperature to "Lo" means you want the cabin to be as cold as possible, so cold air will come out of the vents. Setting the temperature to "15.5" or whatever is one step above "Lo" means you want the cabin at that temperature, so warm air will come out of the vents until it hits 15.5 degrees inside your car. It's similar to setting the temperature on the thermostat inside your house. If you set your house at 20, in winter the air that comes out of the vents will be much warmer than 20. In summer, the air that comes out will be much cooler than 20.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That seems normal. The temperature setting you are adjusting is for the cabin temperature, not the air vent temperature. Setting the temperature to "Lo" means you want the cabin to be as cold as possible, so cold air will come out of the vents. Setting the temperature to "15.5" or whatever is one step above "Lo" means you want the cabin at that temperature, so warm air will come out of the vents until it hits 15.5 degrees inside your car. It's similar to setting the temperature on the thermostat inside your house. If you set your house at 20, in winter the air that comes out of the vents will be much warmer than 20. In summer, the air that comes out will be much cooler than 20.
But that’s the thing, it continues to blow hot air the whole time. So it’s either freezing cold or uncomfortably hot. The A/C in a car is different than the A/C in your house. In the house the heat and cold work independent from one another. In your car when the A/C is on the temperature is controlled by baffles that will allow more cool air to mix with the hot so there are some cool or warm settings. But there is only blazing hot or freezing cold. But this only occurs when it’s around 40F or below outside. It’s weird

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
But that’s the thing, it continues to blow hot air the whole time. So it’s either freezing cold or uncomfortably hot. The A/C in a car is different than the A/C in your house. In the house the heat and cold work independent from one another. In your car when the A/C is on the temperature is controlled by baffles that will allow more cool air to mix with the hot so there are some cool or warm settings. But there is only blazing hot or freezing cold. But this only occurs when it’s around 40F or below outside. It’s weird
How long is "the whole time"? Does the interior temperature ever reach the temperature that you have set? If you have 65 set but it keeps heating until 75 or above then maybe there's a problem with your interior temperature sensor.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How long is "the whole time"? Does the interior temperature ever reach the temperature that you have set? If you have 65 set but it keeps heating until 75 or above then maybe there's a problem with your interior temperature sensor.
Yes I can set it for 58 and it will continue to blow super hot even when I’m starting to sweat. It almost seems like it’s measuring outside air and not inside air

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The "Lo" (15 degrees) setting eliminates all heat, and activates Max A/C, no matter what the cabin temp sensor senses. At 15.5, the temperature sensor is reactivated.
The "Hi" (25 degrees) does the reverse: Max Heat, no matter what the cabin temp sensor senses.
So, yes it is normal.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The "Lo" (15 degrees) setting eliminates all heat, and activates Max A/C, no matter what the cabin temp sensor senses. At 15.5, the temperature sensor is reactivated.
The "Hi" (25 degrees) does the reverse: Max Heat, no matter what the cabin temp sensor senses.
So, yes it is normal.
Yes I understand how the Hi and Lo work. But in between it uses baffles to control how much heat is mixed with the A/C. That is how you can select 70 and it’s not blazing hot or freezing cold coming out the vents. It’s a blend of the heat and A/C. This is the part that our vehicles are having issues with.
Sponsored