Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Oh heck yeah; Project Farm is awesome for his rigorous testing of products.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
All the filters tested were paper OEM style except the oiled cotton gauze K&N. Would be nice if he included some other style filters. Dry synthetic media filters like AEM or aFe. Or foam filters like Ram, Perrin, HKS, and ITG

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
So WIX or Purolator seems to be a good balance between filtration and airflow. Good to know!!

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
any aftermarket paper filter will be sufficient if changed at the proper interval,

just like oil and oil filter brands, people WAY OVERTHINK things like this,

stop worrying so much about it, and just do your maint at the suggested intervals,

i don't know why people choose to make their lives more difficult then they need to be
No doubt. I am of the same mindset.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Just stick to the oem filter. It is made of an oiled synthetic blend. It is not paper and made of what seems like very high quality materials. Plus for the price you can’t beat them.

OP
OP

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag
K+N is a horrible filter,

if your going to use a K+N you might as well save the money and just remove your air filter completely

please note, i am not suggesting anybody ACTUALLY do this
Incredible how we need to always write some disclaimer...our society makes me sad sometimes...

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just stick to the oem filter. It is made of an oiled synthetic blend. It is not paper and made of what seems like very high quality materials. Plus for the price you can’t beat them.
But what about that "wooooosssssssshhhhhh, psssshhhhh" that we all love. :p

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But what about that "wooooosssssssshhhhhh, psssshhhhh" that we all love. :p
If the sound is what you are looking for then yes an aftermarket cold air intake or short ram will give you the sound. But like the video says you run the risk of allowing dirt in your engine. I would stick to one that has a filter you can’t see through lol. That way you don’t risk sacrificing the longevity of the engine.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
If you want to fork over $80 for an air filter. Sprint Filter is the company. They do supply racing teams.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The isn't a new finding by any means
Science from 4 years ago
I don't think anyone should be surprised an air filter advertising increased airflow to provide better performance would trap less particulate matter (shocking, I know). Just about any upgrade you install to increase performance is going to have a detrimental effect on the longevity of your vehicle or some other boring aspect.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The isn't a new finding by any means
Science from 4 years ago
I don't think anyone should be surprised an air filter advertising increased airflow to provide better performance would trap less particulate matter (shocking, I know). Just about any upgrade you install to increase performance is going to have a detrimental effect on the longevity of your vehicle or some other boring aspect.
That’s true. But finding a filter that can still filter while maintaining good flow is possible. With more pleats increasing surface area. But the ones to stay away from are ones you can see through. Because if you can see through it then might as well not have a filter. Same concept with your A/C filter at home. Some filter out more particulates but sacrifice flow rate. This flow rate is important for proper A/C operation. But if you have a see through filter it will clog your A/C system and ruin your system. So it’s finding that nice median that can satisfy both.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
That’s true. But finding a filter that can still filter while maintaining good flow is possible. With more pleats increasing surface area. But the ones to stay away from are ones you can see through. Because if you can see through it then might as well not have a filter. Same concept with your A/C filter at home. Some filter out more particulates but sacrifice flow rate. This flow rate is important for proper A/C operation. But if you have a see through filter it will clog your A/C system and ruin your system. So it’s finding that nice median that can satisfy both.
it depends what the filter is made of, not all filter media is created equal.

Sprint filters, due to being a single layer, are practically transparent. But that single layer is a woven polyester with uniform and smaller gaps between the weave than woven cotton, and much smaller than cotton gauze (K&N)

Honda Civic 10th gen Air filter tests - interesting A60FEE9B-EE12-4DF5-BF15-F5441D3C463F

Honda Civic 10th gen Air filter tests - interesting 0F2DB6A0-76E5-437E-A687-13BDBF90A0CA

a common layered cotton filter
Honda Civic 10th gen Air filter tests - interesting 8BBA55F5-01A2-45BA-8E4E-8898225EE394

a Sprint filter
Honda Civic 10th gen Air filter tests - interesting 643CE017-D613-4E3E-9FC2-9CFF0C59F376

Last edited: