Air filter tests - interesting

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Seriously, it's simple physics, if it flows more air, it flows more dirt. I think the factory filter is the correct compromise if you really think about it.
Sponsored

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
it depends what the filter is made of, not all filter media is created equal.

Sprint filters, due to being a single layer, are practically transparent. But that single layer is a woven polyester with uniform and smaller gaps between the weave than woven cotton, and much smaller than cotton gauze (K&N)

A60FEE9B-EE12-4DF5-BF15-F5441D3C463F.png

0F2DB6A0-76E5-437E-A687-13BDBF90A0CA.png

8BBA55F5-01A2-45BA-8E4E-8898225EE394.png

643CE017-D613-4E3E-9FC2-9CFF0C59F376.jpeg
Do myself and yourself a favor. Take some flour and sprinkle it on that filter with a black shirt underneath. If none gets through then I’ll believe it. Dust particles are way smaller then flour to. So if the flour goes through then all the dirt is getting through.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Do myself and yourself a favor. Take some flour and sprinkle it on that filter with a black shirt underneath. If none gets through then I’ll believe it. Dust particles are way smaller then flour to. So if the flour goes through then all the dirt is getting through.
How about water? The spacing between the fibers on a Sprint filter can be so uniform and small, that the filter is effectively waterproof... the surface tension of water won’t break between the fibers.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How about water? The spacing between the fibers on a Sprint filter can be so uniform and small, that the filter is effectively waterproof... the surface tension of water won’t break between the fibers.

Dust will still go through.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it depends what the filter is made of, not all filter media is created equal.

Sprint filters, due to being a single layer, are practically transparent. But that single layer is a woven polyester with uniform and smaller gaps between the weave than woven cotton, and much smaller than cotton gauze (K&N)

A60FEE9B-EE12-4DF5-BF15-F5441D3C463F.png

0F2DB6A0-76E5-437E-A687-13BDBF90A0CA.png

a common layered cotton filter
8BBA55F5-01A2-45BA-8E4E-8898225EE394.png

a Sprint filter
643CE017-D613-4E3E-9FC2-9CFF0C59F376.jpeg
This shows the openings to be 35 microns. Dust particles are smaller. So it will catch the big stuff while allowing the small stuff to go through. After about a month of using a filter like this you could run your finger in the inside of your intake and there will be dust on your finger.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This shows the openings to be 35 microns. Dust particles are smaller. So it will catch the big stuff while allowing the small stuff to go through. After about a month of using a filter like this you could run your finger in the inside of your intake and there will be dust on your finger.
All filters let a percentage of “the small stuff” go through. But at 35 microns, a Sprint filter can literally stop some strains of bacteria.

it’s all about percentage of efficiency at a given size. No filter, no matter what material, is 100% efficient at all sizes.

and just for clarification, I do not run a Sprint filter. I am running a foam air filter. I just find Sprint’s approach to air filtering intriguing.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All filters let a percentage of “the small stuff” go through. But at 35 microns, a Sprint filter can literally stop some strains of bacteria.

it’s all about percentage of efficiency at a given size. No filter, no matter what material, is 100% efficient at all sizes.

and just for clarification, I do not run a Sprint filter. I am running a foam air filter. I just find Sprint’s approach to air filtering intriguing.
Yeah the design is very impressive. I would definitely prefer the sprint filter over a k&n any day. I just use the oem filters on both of mine.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah the design is very impressive. I would definitely prefer the sprint filter over a k&n any day. I just use the oem filters on both of mine.
OEM Honda is a damn good filter. I always end up switching back to OEM after a few thousand miles using aftermarket.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd go with an AEM DryFlow and never use a K&N or any other oiled filter after reading the SWRI filter test. Actual research, not conjecture.
funny you mention it, I have an AEM here that just arrived today. Just wanted to get a look at one. Out off all the aftermarket filters I’ve bought for this Honda, the AEM is fairly disappointing.

One reason, the AEM has the smallest “breathable“ area. by that I mean the hole in the frame where the filter media lives. So the AEM by my measurement has a roughly 23.25sq in opening. It’s after midnight and I’m explaining this horribly, but if you cut the filter material completely out and kept the frame, that 23.25sq in open hole is the hole your car is breathing through. The larger that hole, the better. Yes? Regardless of filter material, or number of pleats or whatever they fill that hole with (because that is just introducing restriction to that available breathable area)

by comparison, the PRL/Green filter is about 27sq in, and the OEM Honda is sort of three 9.75sq in rows side by side (29.25sq in total)

Honda Civic 10th gen Air filter tests - interesting 2663EE58-73F7-491C-AF3B-71656475FDA2

Honda Civic 10th gen Air filter tests - interesting EAFCEFF5-F64D-44B5-A41F-4D6BF302FAF8

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
This thread got me thinking about the even more performance-oriented whole intake kits. How much filtering would you guys estimate those conical filters from PRL or 27WON, for example, are doing? Same or less than the K&N drop in?

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@The Vyzitor Thanks for sharing that info, that's good to know. While I agree that the smaller area is disappointing, I'd still prefer it over an oiled filter. It's all in the study. For me, it's either an AEM or a Wix/Purolator/OEM. I heard about the Sprint filters a while back but haven't seen many people use them - very interesting design though.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@The Vyzitor Thanks for sharing that info, that's good to know. While I agree that the smaller area is disappointing, I'd still prefer it over an oiled filter. It's all in the study. For me, it's either an AEM or a Wix/Purolator/OEM. I heard about the Sprint filters a while back but haven't seen many people use them - very interesting design though.
I also prefer dry filters. The aFe Pro Dry S was the first filter I used on my Civic. Currently running a dry HKS Super filter.

I used to love AEM and used a dry cone filter of theirs on my Camaro. But between AEM and aFe for the Civic, the aFe Pro Dry is a better made filter in my opinion

Ex-t hammer

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-T 6spd sold. Accord 2.0 10AT '18
Country flag
I also prefer dry filters. The aFe Pro Dry S was the first filter I used on my Civic. Currently running a dry HKS Super filter.

I used to love AEM and used a dry cone filter of theirs on my Camaro. But between AEM and aFe for the Civic, the aFe Pro Dry is a better made filter in my opinion
How is the HKS foam filter been treating you? I just purchased one for my car, I don't see any reviews for them.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
When replacing the air filter, remember to clean the filter compartment thoroughly. You will notice that it is very dirty.

Failure to do so will shorten the life of your new filter.
I would be surprised if the dealers do this cleaning.
Sponsored