Air conditioning / window defrosting

Mikey604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe EX 2013
in my 2013 civic coupe you must have the AC on in order to defrost the front window. Is this the case in the 2016 models?
Sponsored

myriad46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
This is the case with all cars. It drys the air so it can defrost better.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Yep.. Essentially your a/c is a dehumidifier.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
in my 2013 civic coupe you must have the AC on in order to defrost the front window. Is this the case in the 2016 models?
I'd put it another way: when defrosting the windshield, the AC is automatically enabled. It's been this way on Honda products for quite a while. A perfectly reasonable safety/effectiveness feature that drives some people crazy for no apparent rational reason.

It seems all these good and thoughtful features make some tiny fraction of owners crazy. Ford Focus Mk3 (2012) had a "Courtesy Wipe" feature that gave the windshield one more wipe several seconds after you'd used the washer to wipe off the drooling lines. Great feature in most circumstances and saved me from doing the same with flick-wipe. Drove some owners insane--they acted like the whole car was ruined by the feature and unsafe and recall-worthy and on and on. They posted lots of complaints on the Internet. We are renting a '16 Focus this week. They've removed the feature.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I'd put it another way: when defrosting the windshield, the AC is automatically enabled. It's been this way on Honda products for quite a while. A perfectly reasonable safety/effectiveness feature that drives some people crazy for no apparent rational reason.

It seems all these good and thoughtful features make some tiny fraction of owners crazy. Ford Focus Mk3 (2012) had a "Courtesy Wipe" feature that gave the windshield one more wipe several seconds after you'd used the washer to wipe off the drooling lines. Great feature in most circumstances and saved me from doing the same with flick-wipe. Drove some owners insane--they acted like the whole car was ruined by the feature and unsafe and recall-worthy and on and on. They posted lots of complaints on the Internet. We are renting a '16 Focus this week. They've removed the feature.
X2 on the AC on with front defrost, has been standard on all cars I've ever owned but this may be a Canadian thing.

My Ford truck has an option to turn on/off the courtesy wipe.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I wanted to verify this before posting and it works, just hit the AC/OFF button after turning on the defroster. Everything runs the same way except that the AC is now off. A few of my past vehicles had the same feature.

OP
OP

Mikey604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe EX 2013
Then the window will start to fog up again lol

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Yup, but it gives them the option of knowing why they keep fogging up!
Except they won't understand and will complain that their defroster is broken and Honda should have never shipped a car when that simple feature doesn't work and they will never admit that something they are doing is ruining the effectiveness of it. Like people who drive pedal to the floor and complain they aren't getting the highest possible rated MPG as if it's Honda's or the EPA's fault that they drive like a lunatic.
Sponsored