Air conditioning condenser issue is real

1.5T_174

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T CVT w/Sensing
Country flag
I have 2017 Civic EX-T 4DR which started experiencing AC problem - it's not blowing cold air at all.
I did some reading online and performed following checks

1. Checked if compressors engaging when AC is turned ON - it's NOT engaging at all
2. Checked fuse and relay in engine bay area - fuse is OK, relay has no rattle/moving parts, and thus seems OK
3. Checked condenser (basic visual inspection from front side) - don't see any big rock damage, only small bugs. Also, there is no black/oily accumulation on condenser
4. Checked compressor (basic visual inspection near inlet and outlet) - don't see any black/oily accumulation near inlet/outlet
5. Checked rest of the tubing - not sure if there is a problem with tubing and wanted opinion
Near the engine coolant tank, there is a high and low pressure line junction. I am seeing some black/oily accumulation in that region (please refer photographs)

Is this abnormal? Can someone with working AC post photographs?

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real IMG_3526.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real WhatsApp Image 2020-06-17 at 5.41.27 PM

1.5T_174

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had an appointment at the dealership this Saturday (6/27), showed the TSB-19-091 letter that I got in mail. Service Advisor told me that they will perform diagnosis, if the problem is with condenser, they will perform repair free of charge, otherwise they will provide quote. He said this will be about 2 to 2.5 hours job.

All the other dealers in my area were charging $150 to $350 just for diagnosis, so I was little confused when the dealer I visited was not charging any money for diagnosis. I told him at any point there is cost involved, let me know, to which he said "Yes, definitely".

Service report was initiated at 8:12 am and at 9:48 am Service Advisor told me that condenser was faulty, we have replaced it under 10 year extended warranty, charged the system with refrigerant, washed the car, and you are good to go.

I was more than amazed and started doubting whether condenser was really replaced or not. They mounted the car on 4 post lift and showed me newly installed condenser which had no dust/0 bugs on it, and fins were impeccable - it was a brand new condenser. AC was blowing cold air too.

In about 1.5 hours, they performed leak test, found fault in condenser, replaced condenser/O-Rings with new one, recharged the system with R1234YF, and performed multi-point inspection - it was more than unbelievable

Is this even possible? Am I missing something?

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real 2020-06-29 13_41_16-Window

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
I had an appointment at the dealership this Saturday (6/27), showed the TSB-19-091 letter that I got in mail. Service Advisor told me that they will perform diagnosis, if the problem is with condenser, they will perform repair free of charge, otherwise they will provide quote. He said this will be about 2 to 2.5 hours job.

All the other dealers in my area were charging $150 to $350 just for diagnosis, so I was little confused when the dealer I visited was not charging any money for diagnosis. I told him at any point there is cost involved, let me know, to which he said "Yes, definitely".

Service report was initiated at 8:12 am and at 9:48 am Service Advisor told me that condenser was faulty, we have replaced it under 10 year extended warranty, charged the system with refrigerant, washed the car, and you are good to go.

I was more than amazed and started doubting whether condenser was really replaced or not. They mounted the car on 4 post lift and showed me newly installed condenser which had no dust/0 bugs on it, and fins were impeccable - it was a brand new condenser. AC was blowing cold air too.

In about 1.5 hours, they performed leak test, found fault in condenser, replaced condenser/O-Rings with new one, recharged the system with R1234YF, and performed multi-point inspection - it was more than unbelievable

2020-06-29 13_41_16-Window.png
Sounds like the warranty service I got in Ontario, Canada. I picked up my 2018 Civic Hatch Sport last week. When I went to check out the vehicle, the car had issues with the A/C. They tried to fix it and the condenser had no visible leakage in the front. Upon picking it up, it was still blowing warm air and I told them before leaving. They checked the back of the condenser and lo-and-behold it was all black. They ripped the condenser out and put a new one in and told me that the old condensers weren't galvanized properly so micro-punctures would start the leaking process. Here's hoping it stays a-ok.

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
^ Sounds like I could get mine fixed faster if I drove 3 hours from Fort Myers to Orlando, had it fixed, and 3 hours home vs. trying to get the Fort Myers dealer to take care of me. And I just want the whistle noise gone.

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real SMH guys

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

2020-06-29 13_41_16-Window.png
Well, I just now left the car at the dealer service to look at my AC. It's was still pretty cool on the passenger's side, but quite impotent on the driver's side. And that's at 14 kmiles; it worked fine for only two seasons of very light use. I know it was originally very cold from all four dashboard holes, because I checked it after seeing issues here. So it's definitely not an "underfilled at factory" case. It's a slow leak.

The advisor dude said it will probably take many hours before they want to see me again, because "these cars are awfully slow to recharge the AC".

Also from my knowledge/experience these AC machines indeed work quite slowly. I would just evacuate for no less than half an hour, and that's if all was clean and kept open for a short time.
So doing condenser replace, evacuate, and refill in 1.5 hours not just unlikely, or some sort of a Honda mechanic world record. It's just plain impossible.

Btw. no matter what they think, I say on 1234yf systems the dryer/desiccant should be always replaced with this job.

Last edited:

1.5T_174

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I just now left the car at the dealer service too look at my AC. It's was still pretty cool on the passenger's side, but quite impotent on the driver's side. And that's at 14 kmiles; it worked fine for only two seasons of very light use. I know it was originally very cold from all four dashboard holes, because I checked it after seeing issues here. So it's definitely not an "underfilled at factory" case. It's a slow leak.

The advisor dude said it will probably take many hours before they want to see me again, because "these cars are awfully slow to recharge the AC".

Also from my knowledge/experience these AC machines indeed work quite slowly. I would just evacuate for no less than half an hour, and that's if all was clean and kept open for a short time.
So doing condenser replace, evacuate, and refill in 1.5 hours not just unlikely, or some sort of a Honda mechanic world record. It's just plain impossible.

Btw. no matter what they think, I say on 1234yf systems the dryer/desiccant should be always replaced with this job.
Exactly, even I could not believe it, and thought something is wrong
The service advisor told me that Honda's recommendation to complete this job is 2 hours, not sure how true that is.
Should I take this up with Honda Corporate?
AC is working fine now, but I have a fear that in near future, big failure is just waiting to happen

asdf916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
Country flag
So I brought in my 2016 touring this morning because of the hot air blowing and they just got back to me with the diagnosis saying that the condenser was in fact leaking but that the compressor is shot as well. They're looking for $1200 since the compressor isn't covered by the TSB. They say theyre not going to replace the condenser because the coolant would just leak and it'd be a waste of money Do I fight it? What are my options?

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I have 2017 Civic EX-T 4DR which started experiencing AC problem - it's not blowing cold air at all.
I did some reading online and performed following checks

1. Checked if compressors engaging when AC is turned ON - it's NOT engaging at all
2. Checked fuse and relay in engine bay area - fuse is OK, relay has no rattle/moving parts, and thus seems OK
3. Checked condenser (basic visual inspection from front side) - don't see any big rock damage, only small bugs. Also, there is no black/oily accumulation on condenser
4. Checked compressor (basic visual inspection near inlet and outlet) - don't see any black/oily accumulation near inlet/outlet
5. Checked rest of the tubing - not sure if there is a problem with tubing and wanted opinion
Near the engine coolant tank, there is a high and low pressure line junction. I am seeing some black/oily accumulation in that region (please refer photographs)

Is this abnormal? Can someone with working AC post photographs?

IMG_3526.JPG

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-17 at 5.41.27 PM.jpeg
On my 16 3 years ago they said they found a small hairline crack in that same tube. ( condenser was also replaced in my 19)

Zortrium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Adding another datapoint...condenser on my 2016 Civic EX went last year and had it replaced then. Now (1 year later) compressor is gone and dealer wants $1300 to replace it. Car is under 25k miles and barely driven at all in the last year. What a joke.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Adding another datapoint...condenser on my 2016 Civic EX went last year and had it replaced then. Now (1 year later) compressor is gone and dealer wants $1300 to replace it. Car is under 25k miles and barely driven at all in the last year. What a joke.
You are still qualified for the 36000 mile warranty for that.

If they (dealer) don’t want to place your issue under warranty, I suggest that you email or call American Honda Corporation.

Zortrium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
You are still qualified for the 36000 mile warranty for that.

If they (dealer) don’t want to place your issue under warranty, I suggest that you email or call American Honda Corporation.
Even though it's >3 years old? Is there something I can reference for that?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Even though it's >3 years old? Is there something I can reference for that?
It is either 36000 miles or 3 years old.

I got a “goodwill” coverage from American Honda Corp even though my car is more than 40000 miles already and just turned 3 last May.

I am just waiting for my A/C parts to come in.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
so yea, my AC seems to underperform now aswell and ive a EU civic hatchback.
the driver side was blowing warm air but the passenger side was kinda cooler.

car is nearly 2years old.

is this already the condenser leaking?
theres also a fizzing noise when i start the car (coming from the AC, when its on), but only for 3-5sec.
Sponsored