Air conditioning condenser issue is real

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
So last week my AC went out completely on my way back from Montreal so I decided to stop at another dealer on my way back. Got an appointment yesterday and they found out that the condenser is rotten on one side and let me know that it's a common issue with 2.0l condenser.

Also, the dealer is about an hour from home but it is worth the detour. They told me we will check it for free instead of threatening me that if it was hit by a rock I will have to pay 130$ checkup.

The only issue is that the condenser is backorder and it can take up to 3 weeks. Called Honda Canada and told them that I need a car with working AC as I have roadtrips soon and I also have my kids in the back most of the time. I got a rental for 10 days for now.
What do you mean if it was rotten from one side? Do you have any pictures of how the condenser looks?
Sponsored

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
so is anyone having intercooler punctures from road debrees on the 1.5t since thats the most forward cooler?

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
so is anyone having intercooler punctures from road debrees on the 1.5t since thats the most forward cooler?
Makes sense. I have a few areas where the fins are bent but that’s to be expected. If my condenser can fail because of a rock or stone then where’s the intercooler complaints? Here’s a picture of how mine looks

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real F365752B-FFEA-4141-A8B8-0B43310487ED

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That's what they said to me.... I will make sure to have pictures if I can.

As for the 1.5l the condenser is not back order as the one for the 2.0l is.
1.5l was back ordered for 4 weeks for me

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX Manual 2016
Country flag
Makes sense. I have a few areas where the fins are bent but that’s to be expected. If my condenser can fail because of a rock or stone then where’s the intercooler complaints? Here’s a picture of how mine looks

F365752B-FFEA-4141-A8B8-0B43310487ED.png
You seem to have a dark spot similar to what we see on mine.

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
You seem to have a dark spot similar to what we see on mine.
From what I understand the dark spot is normal? Or is it a sign that Freon was leaked from that particular location? There is several other dark spots smaller in diameter.
I’ll try to look at and around there dark spots to see if there is any impact point to determine if a rock or stone actually hit the condenser or if it’s actually a faulty one.

And if it is a fault one, how would I even convince the dealer and or Honda that this one is on them?

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
1.5l was back ordered for 4 weeks for me
I'm going on 4 weeks waiting now, no end in sight. My dealership did finally get an order of the parts, but they all showed up damaged out of the box.

How in the world is a component that's exposed to the elements at the front end of a car so fragile they can't even ship it without breaking the thing? Not sure what Honda was thinking...

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm glad I got a rental in the meantime but not so glad that it's a 2015 ford focus auto :/

The only thing good about it is the sound system sound great compared ours

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
How come our 1.5l condensers are on backorder longer than the 2.0l?

chokesmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got my car back today and the AC is cold AF! They used the condenser from a newer car so I won't have to wait for the part to be delivered.

So basically the issue is that the condenser construction is badly made and it puncture in the BACK of it. The only way to diagnose this is to remove the bumper and pressurise the system and spray some soapy water to the back of the condenser and see if it bubble as the holes are not visible to the naked eye.

Hope that help!

OP
OP
Dicecube

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think the condenser was faulty from the factory because when I bought the car new, the air conditioning was weak already. Fast forward 2 years and it was fully dead. When they replaced the condenser, it blew colder than ever before.

ljw6632

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Back in 2016, I came across multiple threads of the air conditioning system crapping out but it didn't happen to me until 2018. Check your air conditioning unit folks

15275624112334478425118606875850.jpg
Today, I also got my whole A/C clutch kit replaced for my 2017 civic.

My car was making a high pitch noise (I know when you turn your A/C on, it makes a noise but it was not the compressor noise) when I turned on my A/C.

They replaced bunch of stuff worth over $2,600 CAD.

Of course, everything was under warranty.

I waited a month to replace it due to their "special 10th gen civic only A/C gas" delivery delayed.

So, people ! go to dealership and book for a/c unit replacement or at least get an inspection.
Sponsored

Last edited: