Air conditioning condenser issue is real

Zortrium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Adding another datapoint...condenser on my 2016 Civic EX went last year and had it replaced then. Now (1 year later) compressor is gone and dealer wants $1300 to replace it. Car is under 25k miles and barely driven at all in the last year. What a joke.
Quick followup, dealer agreed to cover 80% of compressor cost after contacting Honda (at my request). Maybe I could've done better but didn't push any further.
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Is there this same problem in a 2017+ CRV? I am about to buy another car, having 2 civic already. I don’t want to buy into yet another damn car with this problem...I tried to search but didn’t find much. Looking at a 2020 CRV.

Also, my friend wants a 2018+ accord. Same 1.5t engine. Is that a potential land mine?

magshell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST
Country flag
Was a 114f/45c day for me to discover my AC wasn't blowing cold anymore :confused:

Dropped it off at the dealer last weekend and they replaced the leaky compressor for free (but I am still under factory warranty + CPO warranty)

I've only had the (used) car for about a year, but I am assuming this will be a yearly occurrence?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Was a 114f/45c day for me to discover my AC wasn't blowing cold anymore :confused:

Dropped it off at the dealer last weekend and they replaced the leaky compressor for free (but I am still under factory warranty + CPO warranty)

I've only had the (used) car for about a year, but I am assuming this will be a yearly occurrence?
Depends if they installed the updated parts or not.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
there are already updated parts?
i thought they keep replacing it with the faulty compressor...

JohnEnglish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
Country flag
The letter I got from Honda last October saying they were extending the warranty on certain A/C components on certain 2016 - 2018 Civics (including mine) to 10 years/unlimited mileage due to a "faulty quality control process at a supplier". My A/C started blowing hot air a few weeks ago so I took it to the dealer and they replaced a bunch of parts and refilled the system all under warranty.

Here's a link to the press release from Honda discussing the warranty extension

https://hondanews.ca/en/news/releas...nser-on-Certain-20162018-Honda-Civic-Vehicles

alvdan88

Daniels EX-T
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just got mine replaced under warranty last weekend. Advisor said it must be blowing hot air for them to even consider it. Crapped out in Palm Springs in 114° weather... :( Replacement included Diagnostic, Parts, and Refill (New R-1234f or whatever it is, is really hard to find....)

SuperBob

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2009
Country flag
I've just started to shop for a certified Civic and realize that the condenser issue is bigger than I thought. On about 10 Civic Carfax reports from one dealer, 3 had the condenser replaced. This is not a good average.

Though I found nothing on the Carfax report when looking at other Civics from different dealers. Is it up to the dealer to report it or not? No idea how that works with Carfax.

I also happen to know somebody who work as a tech at a Honda dealer. He basically told me to stay away from the 10th generation and to buy a 2015 model if I really want a Civic. He said there are just too many problems with this new model. His car is an Camry, that tells a lot.

The 10th gen Civic is really fun to drive but I am hesitating now. I already own a 8th Gen Civic that just started to have AC problems, not sure I need another one like that.

It might not be a good thing to show the dealer name on the reports below so I removed it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real Capture1.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real Capture2.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning condenser issue is real Capture3.JPG

Last edited:

SiGator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon a Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Has Honda corrected the condenser issue for the 2020 model year?

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
just got my condenser replaced. after 20 months of driving (nobody drove it before).
ive a EU civic (end of 2018)

passenger side barely blew cold air, driverside was blowing hot and there was a fizzling noise when the AC was on.

i just hope, that the new condenser is already the fixed one.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Piggy-backing on this thread...

I noticed my AC (on AUTO) doesn't blow ice cold air, but it doesn't blow warm air either. It's just somewhat cool; even on "Lo" setting. Would this be a symptom of a broken AC? I have a dealership visit pending, but would like to know all the info before potentially getting ripped off.

Also to note: manually pressing the AC button doesn't seem to make the cabin cool down any faster.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Piggy-backing on this thread...

I noticed my AC (on AUTO) doesn't blow ice cold air, but it doesn't blow warm air either. It's just somewhat cool; even on "Lo" setting. Would this be a symptom of a broken AC? I have a dealership visit pending, but would like to know all the info before potentially getting ripped off.

Also to note: manually pressing the AC button doesn't seem to make the cabin cool down any faster.
Could be low level of freon. I’ll be concerned if only the passenger side is blowing cold air.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Could be low level of freon. I’ll be concerned if only the passenger side is blowing cold air.
Hopefully that's the case! The dealership preemptively ordered a condenser already o_O. I will see what they do with it.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
mine didn’t blow cold air but not hot either/ and in another couple of weeks. It was full blown hot air, the thing was gradual.
Sponsored