First Name
Heng
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
Hey,

Over the past few months, I've been hearing a whistling/squeaking sound coming from the air conditioning. The sound will come on when I am cruising or at a full stop, but not all the time. The sound will end when it feels like it, or when I turn off the fan/air conditioning.

The service manager has driven another car which had the same issue. Does anyone know why this happens? Has there been a fix for it?

Thanks.
Hi, I happen to be a Honda Technician, and have ran into this issue also. At first it was a customers car, I’ve replaced almost all the parts in the AC system and the noise is still there. Afterwards I’ve compared the noise to about 20 other brand new civics we have in our lot and they all have the same issue. It seems to be a characteristic of all the 2016-2020 Honda Civic with R1234yf refrigerant. I’ve also called tech line on the issue and they don’t have a fix for it. I’ve recently purchased a 2019 civic sport and that also have the same annoying noise when the ac is on. Sadly it’s a characteristic of that particular model and nothing can be done to fix it. I’ll keep my eyes open in case Honda has decided to tackle that issue. I’m sure If enough people complain about it, they’ll do something.
Sponsored

himnosiss

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic, bmw 320
Country flag
The sound is gone for a month or so, after they refill the AC system. I don't think it is a characteristic, I think is a failure. Maybe you are talking about a different noise, the car is full of them, sadly.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had to have the compressor replaced because it failed a little over a year after I bought the car. I hear this is a big problem same as the condensor weakness on the early ones.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I had this too and the tech just told the writer it was the turbo spooling. I was like, "I know what turbo spool sounds like and this happens when at a complete stop with no boost being made." She just shrugged. At least it's documented. I told her that when/if the compressor fails, I'll be back to have it replaced under warranty. I figure it's probably bearings in the compressor or a belt/tensioner issue.
You still hearing the sound like a chirpin sound or belt squeaking when the A/C is on ? I just started to hear ot yesterday after 2 yrs owning the car