andysh

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Touring
Hey,

Over the past few months, I've been hearing a whistling/squeaking sound coming from the air conditioning. The sound will come on when I am cruising or at a full stop, but not all the time. The sound will end when it feels like it, or when I turn off the fan/air conditioning.

The service manager has driven another car which had the same issue. Does anyone know why this happens? Has there been a fix for it?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Hatch LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Late to the thread so maybe it's been fixed, but it would surprise me if this is a Honda-specific issue. Is it coming from the blower motor itself?

Moopy62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatchback
Country flag
YUP - Mine too. A definite harmonic whistle.Turn on A/C there it is - turn OFF A/c and it goes away. -NOT TURBO! 5500 miles on my 2018 sport hatch thought I would give it a while til first oil change to see if something would "break in" - Nope. It is INCREDIBLY annoying to the point I turn off AC to stop hearing it. I'll wait to see what dealer says when I take it in

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
Every once in a while I hear a weird sound from mine that almost sounds like sonar on a submarine. Other times it sounds like a leaf is crunching in the blower housing. Neither of the sounds are very loud though.

Moopy62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so.. anyone figure out what the problem was??
I took it to the dealer to check along with my head unit/Bluetooth connectivity problems. They came back and hour later and said they didn't hear a single thing. So I ushered them out to my car and have them listen and their reply was "oh yeah now I hear it"....30 minutes later they said with a shrug "don't know- nothing we can do". At least it's documented so if it gets worse I'll continue to go back and push them for a repair of some sort. They were clueless.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this too and the tech just told the writer it was the turbo spooling. I was like, "I know what turbo spool sounds like and this happens when at a complete stop with no boost being made." She just shrugged. At least it's documented. I told her that when/if the compressor fails, I'll be back to have it replaced under warranty. I figure it's probably bearings in the compressor or a belt/tensioner issue.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16743

Sucks how the dealers try not to deal with it. I am leaning towards one of the belts as well. Just annoying to have the problem and to see the way dealerships deal with in such ways.

Moopy62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sucks how the dealers try not to deal with it. I am leaning towards one of the belts as well. Just annoying to have the problem and to see the way dealerships deal with in such ways.
I got the exact same thing. Turbo spooling at 0 mph? Then I turned off a/c and the sound went bye bye. I agree it its belt tension -or- isnt there a magnetic engage clutch?

Deleted member 16743

Just got the car back from the dealer.

On the receipt it says the noise was from suction and discharge hoses. and condenser was showing small spots of leaks.

My car is only 6 months old and barely used AC as I bought the car in the winter.. I am really hoping I won't have to pay for this fix.

They will call me back when the parts arrive in the shop, so I will wait and see what happens.

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I've noticed with my chirping A/C sound that it seems to go away when it is really hot (85 degrees F or above in my area). When the temps are below 85 degrees F, the sound returns.

kcabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic LX | 2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Mine whistles and chirps only when I have the fans blowing in the foot wells. If I turn it off, it goes away immediately.

ljw6632

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Mine whistles and chirps only when I have the fans blowing in the foot wells. If I turn it off, it goes away immediately.
I had same issue and it was because of faulty A/C unit.

I got my whole A/C clutch kit replaced today.

himnosiss

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic, bmw 320
Country flag
I have the same issue with my car.
I took it in service many times for the same problem, they replace the condenser, the compressor, some hose but I still have the high pitch sound of a liquid flowing through a metalic tube, also known as chirping sound.
The AC is leaking, this is the problem.

What is the end of your stories?
Sponsored