2016 Civic Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronaldleestudios.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi there, I just picked up a 2016 Civic Touring about three weeks ago (6,000km) and so far I'm still getting used to the car.

One thing that seems odd is that when the air conditioner applies any heat (or if the climate control puts in heat without the air conditioner) there is a weird smell from the dash, either burning, or coolant evaporating, or a bad air freshener smell.

It only happens with heat, not when there is cool air coming out.

I took it to Honda and the salesman did immediately notice the smell but said it may not be a warranty issue if someone dropped an air freshener in the car somewhere and would charge me for the diagnosis, which would be refunded if the problem was covered under warranty (I thought I had the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty?).

I wonder if anyone has encountered this and if anyone can suggest where I can look to see if there smell if coming from there. I don't think it would be the air filter in the engine as the car would smell funny all the time.

And yes, I do know that there is sometimes a burning smell with heat in new cars, but this one already has 6000km and was in service for 14 months prior to my buying it, so I question is that is the reason.

Any help is appreciated!

Ronald
Sponsored

OP
OP
van604

van604

2016 Civic Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronaldleestudios.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi, does anyone have a schematic or at least can describe the vents where the heat comes into the car from the engine? (both in the car and from the engine?)

I'm thinking that there must be something at the heater vents, or at least its worth to look at to make sure its not a perfumed piece of fabric.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
How much would it cost to have it checked out? If it is not too much of a hassle I'd say go for it.

OP
OP
van604

van604

2016 Civic Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronaldleestudios.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How much would it cost to have it checked out? If it is not too much of a hassle I'd say go for it.
The dealer said up to $130 Canadian funds. Just to look at it. If its not a warranty issue, I get charged, if it is, I don't. WTF. Doesn't bumper to bumper cover this?

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my old car, every winter I would have a burning smell as the season got started and the heater was used more. It ended up going away after a week or two of use every time

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer said up to $130 Canadian funds. Just to look at it. If its not a warranty issue, I get charged, if it is, I don't. WTF. Doesn't bumper to bumper cover this?
Well, if they find a dead mouse or something in the heater then it's hard to argue that's a manufacturer's defect covered under warranty.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could be mold build up from the AC being used. Have you changed the cabin filter? Possibly that. If that doesn't fix it then there is probably something in the air system or on the heater core.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Do you know what hot coolant smells like? If not, take the cap off the overflow tank when the engine is warm and see if that's what you're smelling. If you're smelling coolant, you have a coolant leak around or in the heater core and that's definitely a warranty item. A low coolant level would also be a tipoff to a coolant leak.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Do you know what hot coolant smells like? If not, take the cap off the overflow tank when the engine is warm and see if that's what you're smelling. If you're smelling coolant, you have a coolant leak around or in the heater core and that's definitely a warranty item. A low coolant level would also be a tipoff to a coolant leak.
+1
(That saved me typing what I was going suggest .. thanks)

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
no, no, no. my new civic was exactly like this. That is just the metal "breaking in". Dont listen to the dealer or whatever it is perfectly normal, trust me on this one. It'll go away after a few heat cycles.
Sponsored