BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
After going from the factory 20” wheels to aftermarket 18” in 18x9.5 +35 I’ve noticed some interesting changes. The torque steer is there and expected. What I didn’t expect is the tramlining. If there is a rut or uneven road, it pulls me into the direction of it quite significantly. Is this a direct cause of the 35 offset? I’m using falken 615k+ tires in 265/35 stock suspension.
I haven’t noticed a noticeable difference in overall grip, though i haven’t tracked the car yet. I drive spirited on the road. Can the current offset affect the overall handling negatively ? If so, should I look into a +45 offset like titan7? I like the flush look I have but i don’t want to worsen the cars handling. I know the zero scrubdesign has now been altered, just need some ideas, would I have the same issues with a less aggressive offset?
thanks!
Sponsored

bicbaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 FK8, 97 E36 M3, 02 E46 M3, 02 E46 330Ci
Country flag
You already addressed zero scrub design so you answered your own question. Yes, altering zero scrub will introduce torque steer. In regards to your question about tramlining due to the crown of the road, typically wider tires will do that. Thus you'll notice it on a 265 rather than the 245 stock.

Hope that kind of helps.

OP
OP
BoostedDreams

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the tramlining has more to do with the wider tires rather than the offset of the wheels.
the only thing I’m curious of now now is it worth the switch to a +45 offset wheel? Is there enough benefit to justify it. If I wanted to go back to using my factory 20’s, good tires like pilot sports 4s are nearly $400 each? so I don’t think I can go back

Last edited:

S2kx8

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic EX, 2001, 2005, 2008 S2000's, 2020 Si
Country flag
Had a racing tech from HPD at an S2000 gathering in 2019 make a funny comment about aggressive offsets after he noticed several S2000's that were "stanced"...

"Honestly I'm not a fan of straying far from factory suspension setups on road cars. The offset, cast and camber working in balance are all critical to a cars overall performance and communicating to the driver just what the car is doing. I have seen overly aggressive offset and camber make a car less predictable, reliable and safe. But, hey if one doesn't mind going through wheel bearings or suspension components like Patton through Sicily for the sake of appearance... knock yourself out."..:yes:

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found, through my own researches, and from personal experience, tramlining is more from circumferential grooves in the tire wide enough to ‘catch’ on grooves in the road.

For example, this tires might be prone to tramlining:
Honda Civic 10th gen Aggressive offset= tramlining? car-tires-1

For this reason, I always try to get Federal 595SS tires because the tread pattern has no such grooves. Plus, the tread pattern looks kinda like fire. ?
Honda Civic 10th gen Aggressive offset= tramlining? federal-ss595

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's a combination of tread width and tread design plus offset and camber changes.

OP
OP
BoostedDreams

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think it's a combination of tread width and tread design plus offset and camber changes.
Yes I’m sure that’s valid. My suspension is OEM, stock camber. I’ll likely leave it as is for now as I only recently had the tires mounted. Overall grip on the 265’s has been great though. I regained some of the turn in I originally lost when I had 255/40

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
There's a huge number of factors to it -

Tyre choice, tread pattern and construction all contribute to the tramlining characteristics, but I think the primary issue here is the width of the tyre you've gone for.

I'm running ET35 in 245/40/18 (With Michelin PS4), and similarly to yourself - There's a touch of extra torque steer, though really nothing to write home about in my opinion (Certainly not as bad as some people make out)

In terms of tramlining, there isn't a hugely notable effect - Interestingly, I came from 255/35/20 PS4, Where tramlining was, by comparison, quite violent and something to beware of on rutted roads - Combined with the LSD effect, you could be quite quickly thrown into a rut.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I run 255 40 18x9+45 wheel with conti dws o6 p and no tramlining or torque steer. I wont get these tires again because they have soft sidewalls and steering response is not what i like.

Will go to bfg g force comp 2 as plus next. Had them on the 2016 mustang gt in 285 35 19 and they hooked up well and handle our short cold winters snow and ice well too. That car modified had 449 rwhp and 416 rwtq.
Sponsored