First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What are the pros and cons of using titanium retainers over steel retainers? Does Ti they not have a shorter life span? What are the advantages of going with an aftermarket spring and retainer set such as BC? Are they neccesary only if we have a specific higher HP goal?
Sponsored

Last edited:

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
What are the pros and cons of using titanium retainers over steel retainers? Does Ti they not have a shorter life span? What are the advantages of going with an aftermarket spring and retainer set such as BC? Are they neccesary only if we have a specific higher HP goal?
I went with stock retainers and BC springs with my 6th Gen 1.6L rebuild. Stock lifespan, performance capability.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Titanium is lighter than steel. That means the valve system is lighter and can rev a bit higher before valve float.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
On a 10th gen? Don't mess with it.

I'm in the middle of a F20C S2000 rebuild right now for a guy, had the complete supertech valve spring/guide/retainer package on it. One retainer completely broke, 6 more were about to fail, most of the valves had sunken into the head and all exhaust guides were shot. When I asked the machinist his diagnosis, he said the increased spring pressure paired with the stock cams. If you don't need it, don't get it. You won't be changing the rev limit, you won't be changing cam lift....there's no point here.
Sponsored