Aftermarket Sub??

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Ok guys and girls let’s see some aftermarket sub installations. I know our cars come with a deck mounted sub.... but let’s be honest..... it’s not the same as a perfect sub box combo. Give me some inspiration. This staying home stuff has me wanting to break out the table saw and router.
Sponsored

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I followed a DIY on the FK8 Reviews Group.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Just out of curiosity. What part of your body is that in the picture LOL. Its confusing. I thought elbow?? No wouldnt have hair like that. Not a finger... maybe chin?? but then would have to have head over trunk... its confusing LOL. But nice job on the sub. looks nice. how does it sound?

I personally went with 2 kicker hideaway subs one under each front seat.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just out of curiosity. What part of your body is that in the picture LOL. Its confusing. I thought elbow?? No wouldnt have hair like that. Not a finger... maybe chin?? but then would have to have head over trunk... its confusing LOL. But nice job on the sub. looks nice. how does it sound?

Lmao I honestly don’t remember it was an old pic.
It sounds pretty awesome, sounds more like a 10” imo. I opened a hole on the middle to vent air out because when I didnt have it the grill was coming out.

OP
OP
RallyeRedTenthGen
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag

I was thinking the same thing!!

DFWfk8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 FK8
Country flag
Is that just a replacement of the factory sub? And are you running it off factory power (no aftermarket amp)? It it a noticeable difference?

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Unfortunately is not a direct replacement. It has an aftermarket amp and it makes hell of a difference.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Unfortunately is not a direct replacement. It has an aftermarket amp and it makes hell of a difference.
How difficult was it to put it all together? Wiring is what makes me nervous. Don't want to tear up the interior to run the cables or have to custom mount an amp. Want to keep an OEM+ style.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How difficult was it to put it all together? Wiring is what makes me nervous. Don't want to tear up the interior to run the cables or have to custom mount an amp. Want to keep an OEM+ style.
It was a pita. There is a Pioneer sub that is a drop in replacement. But the difference wont be as notable if you dont use an amp.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
You also need a sound processor like an Audison bit or Audiocontrol as the factory bass signal is a little screwy (it gets boosted and attenuated depending on what the factory audio system THINKS your sub is doing). Without one, the bass will be very inconsistent.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
@RallyeRedTenthGen you posted this in the Type R forum, which is the hatchback and has a totally different sub setup and location FYI.

Here is my setup for my Si:

So for the last week or so I have been working on another project for the car. I've always wanted a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for that clean look that doesn't take up that much space. Reached out to a few local shops and they wanted way too much money for one, so I said the heck with that and built my own! Definitely time consuming, but the end result is truly satisfactory.

Used a UV-curable fiberglass resin, along with several layers of cloth and mat. Added some wooden dowels on the bottom to test out for more strength. Curves/Ribs = Strength when it comes to fiberglass.

Quick tips:
-Duct tape works wonders for masking off the area you are fiberglassing the mold from. Many use painters tape or masking tape, but those all stick to the fiberglass. Duct tape peeled right off with no issues for me.
-Take your time and make sure that there are no air bubbles. If there are, you really need to sand them down and them fill them back in with fiberglass and resin. Bubbles means there will be way less strength in those areas.
-I used a fleece at first for the front portion, however this was going to soak up way too much resin. I ditched that and went with a spandex/poly combo, which is super thin, contours to everything better and soaks up the resin very well.
-You must wear an organic mask when working with this stuff. I probably spend $50 on my mask because I was not taking any chances, this stuff is dangerous and the smell lingers. I've been airing out my car for over a week and it still smells of resin.

IMG_9394.jpeg

Hot glued the dowels and 3/4" MDF baffle in place. Later on I made sure to resin these all inplace so they stay very secure. Some people remove them after everything has set, but I preferred the extra strength.

IMG_9409.jpeg

After spandex/poly fabric, several layers of cloth and mat, along with some Bondo Glass on the edges to make sure it's sealed completely.

IMG_9449.jpeg

Test fit after the carpet was laid on. Not a perfect match, but all I could get locally. I would've ordered some from Parts Express that looked like a direct match, but oh well, I was eager to get this done.

IMG_9454.jpeg

Bolt with a lock washer, washer and nut holding it in place. Once the subwoofer box is mounted there, another washer on outside and inside of the box to make sure it's held on tight and properly distributes the load.

IMG_9455.jpeg

For those of you that were thinking of running a LC2i along with your amp, why not get an amp that has it already built in? 300W+ RMS of power and this guy packs a nice punch and doesn't hardly take any space. I highly recommend it.

IMG_9459.jpeg

Rockford Fosgate 40 Amp AGU fuse, wrapped in a protective sleeve. I used NVX 8 AWG power and ground cables. Very nice cables.

IMG_9462.jpeg

Amp mounted and wires all hooked up. You can see that there are actually two inputs coming from the factory amp (Rear Left and Subwoofer). This amp sums the two channels together and the results are awesome. I can now know for sure that I am getting the full range of bass. Some people swear by using the rear channel vs sub, and some vise versa. Best of both worlds now, especially with AccuBass!

IMG_9464.jpeg

IMG_9466.jpeg

IMG_9465.jpeg

Picked up some Metra speaker harness adapters to splice in for the connections to the amp. One goes to the rear left and the other to the subwoofer. This allowed me to tap into the signal for the amp, without splicing into the wires and still retain signal going to the speakers too. Plug and play is nice!

IMG_9461.jpeg

IMG_9471.jpeg

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Didn’t realize he has a hatchback. I’ve seen several non Type R owners posting on this section. This forum is categorized by models so you get you questions answered adequately. My advice will not work for you.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
JBL GT-BassPro12
Self amplified and can produce more than any normal person needs. All in under $220. HUUUUUGE difference! With the center channel upgrade, I now ride in a rolling niteclub! :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Sub?? IMG_20190730_235623
Sponsored