Aftermarket sub on stock amp

bhwks61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I’ve got a 2019 Si with the premium sound and was curious about a replacement for the small subwoofer in the back dash using the existing Honda amp. I had an old 10” Phoenix Gold Titanium sub lying around so I bought a prefab ported box from amazon for $39 and a set of speaker connections for $5. I can definitely say there is improvement in bass. I’m still stuck with the crossover frequency of the Honda amp but the overall improvement is surprising.
Sponsored

Yuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic X 1.0 exclusive
Country flag
link for speaker and speaker connection?
you have picture of installation?

Apex Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I’ve got a 2019 Si with the premium sound and was curious about a replacement for the small subwoofer in the back dash using the existing Honda amp. I had an old 10” Phoenix Gold Titanium sub lying around so I bought a prefab ported box from amazon for $39 and a set of speaker connections for $5. I can definitely say there is improvement in bass. I’m still stuck with the crossover frequency of the Honda amp but the overall improvement is surprising.
Did you literally just run the speaker leads from the factory sub to your Phoenix?

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would expect the box makes a bigger difference than the upgraded sub, I'd be curious to know how the stock sub in the box would compare. For you it was a no brainer as you already had a better sub on hand. Good on you for trying this out, now I'm a bit tempted, heh.

Oh, also I think the stock sub is 2 ohms and most after market ones are 4 ohms so you might only be getting half the sound you should out of it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bhwks61

bhwks61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I think you are correct on the ohms, but I’m still getting plenty of bass out of the new sub. The bigger issue is that the factory crossover setting for the sub is too low. The new sub could definitely handle a little more range. Overall though I am very happy with the upgrade.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just for fun, once you get the driver connected to the cabinet terminals; maybe reverse the phase of the sub and see if it's better or worse re: what you're looking for specifically.

On paper; it should be worse. But you may end up with something that you like.

I have a passive set of tuned and ported boxes running off the rear channels. Nothing active. But yeah... it's a real difference. Playing with the phase and the fader offered me a lot useful options.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’d invest in an amp- you will get 10x the power, or can even get a kickass replacement for the stock woofer.

Best cheapest idea is to just run under seat woofers
Sponsored