Aftermarket stereo

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
I am still deciding between LX and EX.
Was thinking I could save a few bucks and invest into a decent aftermarket stereo and maybe a little amp and a small sub.
Not sure if aftermarket stereo units are much better or as comprehensive.

I was looking into head units and I found several with built in GPS, touch screen, bluetooth, hdmi, hd, etc. between $160-$600 and the apple/android app specific units are $6-700.
http://www.carid.com/2016-honda-civic-stereos/

The units that were apple and android app ready started off at $600.
I'm wondering if there are any system limitations with using them as opposed to the OEM head unit and if they are any better?
Has anyone gone down this road yet?
Sponsored

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The OEM head unit is extremely buggy and the OEM speakers on the Touring are bad. CarPlay is awesome though (besides how the right signal cuts Siri off - very annoying).

I wouldn't be surprised if I upgraded the head unit within a year, especially if they don't release a firmware update.

I was hoping somebody would've posted an audio system upgrade tutorial for the 2016 Civic by now but I guess I'm going to have to wing it after Christmas.

I'm going to install two Polk db651S, a Kenwood KAC-8105D (mono amp) and a Pioneer TS-SWX251 subwoofer from my previous Civic and two new Polk db651. I'm also considering also replacing the rear deck "subwoofer" (it rattles and has no bass) with something better. I haven't looked closely so I don't know if the Polk db840 or db840dvc would work in that application, and I don't know what I would use to power it since I don't really want to buy another amp...

turbo96xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T BLK
Vehicle Showcase
The OEM head unit is extremely buggy and the OEM speakers on the Touring are bad. CarPlay is awesome though (besides how the right signal cuts Siri off - very annoying).

I wouldn't be surprised if I upgraded the head unit within a year, especially if they don't release a firmware update.

I was hoping somebody would've posted an audio system upgrade tutorial for the 2016 Civic by now but I guess I'm going to have to wing it after Christmas.

I'm going to install two Polk db651S, a Kenwood KAC-8105D (mono amp) and a Pioneer TS-SWX251 subwoofer from my previous Civic and two new Polk db651. I'm also considering also replacing the rear deck "subwoofer" (it rattles and has no bass) with something better. I haven't looked closely so I don't know if the Polk db840 or db840dvc would work in that application, and I don't know what I would use to power it since I don't really want to buy another amp...
Interesting post updates thank you

theevanshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Prius, 2016 Civic Touring
To elaborate, it's really a matter of taste. A decade ago I was really into mobile audio, was an "SQ" guy. The system is quite good for OEM from this standpoint, though the low end is the weaker bit.

crea78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord Sport, 2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a high end SQ system in my Accord and feel the EX-T stereo is not half bad for being an OEM. Definitely better than my stock Accord Sport system it had in there.

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I agree it could be worse (stock system in my 08 was just awful) - it's just funny that they call it a premium system with a subwoofer when there isn't any sub-bass (or even low end) at all. The treble side of things sounds OK but not great.

It might be fine for some people but anybody that knows what a well tuned and full system sounds like would be as annoyed as I am with the oem "10 speaker" system.

Basically any aftermarket speakers will sound better.

markhu

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2010 Subaru Legacy
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's a picture of the pitiful stock rear deck speakers in my 2016 Civic LX. And the wires leading to them are only 20 gauge or thinner.

Attachments

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Both Pioneer and Alpine make functional head units that work well with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Google's interface is still a bit buggy; but Apple's is very good no matter which HU you choose. Though it will take a good 6 months before a quality integration trim is available for the 2016 Civics.

Schmivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320
I too might opt into the aftermarket head units if Honda doesn't release a fix for the "no audio" issue. My question is, since the touring models have the climate control fully integrated into the stock head unit, would climate control even work after installing an aftermarket one? do they even make after market headunits compatible with that? :hmm:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
They've been able to integrate on other platforms. And because Honda's logic is based on Android, the ability to crack the firmware looks good from my perspective.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
It's not really integrated, only manual control uses that screen and I think it could work
Look at your HVAC controls. How would you tell what fan speed or temp selection you have made if the stock HU is removed?
Sponsored