Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Answer for LX/Sport 2017.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
To learn how to upgrade your head-unit read below

I had a lot of help reading through these forums while doing my aftermarket stereo upgrade on my 2017 sport 5" stock to the Sony XAV-AX5000. I believe I have the definitive solution to keeping all steering wheel controls, as well as getting around some other issues that arise with the rear view camera on other builds.

All the information provided is from my own experience and is not guaranteed to work for you, do your own research if you'd like. The pin-outs for the car's connectors were pulled from a different thread on the forum. https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2016-17-ex-factory-radio-wiring-diagram-needed.9808/

What you need.
  • Aftermarket Stereo
    • I used the Sony XAV-AX5000 for android auto, and I liked the look.
  • Axxess 70-1731 Harness : DO NOT GET THE ASWC-1
  • Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Answer for LX/Sport 2017. 1587868530557
    • The only thing we really want from this kit is rear view camera connector/ setup shown in the pic. You could get your own molex connector for the camera and do your own wiring but that's your business
    • I used the XSVI-1731/ASWC-1 kit on its own for a few months and the rear view camera would flicker often so I decided to replace it.
  • Axxess AX-CAM6V
    • This is basically a linear voltage regulator, so you can get an L7808 from mouser or something if you want to match stock 8V.
  • Schosche LHA20
    • This is basically a better version of the Axxess XSVI-1731 with ASWC-1. (No flickering backup cam)
    • Doesn't have camera interface so w/out the Axxess harness you lose factory camera
    • Schosche's website has good discounts often so you can get it ~ $60.
  • Metra 40-HD11 Antenna Adapter
  • PAC USB-TY1 Toyota/Lexus OEM USB Port Retention Cable
  • Mounting hardware

Hook up power to the reverse cam using the 6V stepdown as shown below. Stock Vcc is 8V, but 6V works just fine.
Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Answer for LX/Sport 2017. 1587866296495

There are two wires on the car's harness that have to be grounded on your aftermarket harness side that Axxess doesn't have populated. These are the camera BIT selection pins and grounding these prevents the annoying "fish-eye" view that others complain about. I pulled other pins out of another molex connector using pliers and soldered them to my big ground node with the stereo and camera supply grounds.

EDIT: It looks like P31 should be connected to +8V to prevent the fish eye view. I havent done this myself so be warned
Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Answer for LX/Sport 2017. 1587870442720

Wire up your stereo connectors to the LHA20 as indicated with your stereo and LHA20 manuals. Make sure to connect your stereo reverse in to the AX-CAM6V as well.

Everything else should be plug and replace the connections between the stereo and your stock connectors.

Attachments

Last edited:

sakioxc

First Name
alikol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
kia picanto
Country flag
I’ve been waiting for you all to do a car with these new “floating” OEM stereos.
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited:

mdp514

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
So i just tried installing the Sony XAV-AX5000 myself and it wouldnt turn on. Traction Control lights came on and my auto windows started acting weird. I put the stock unit back in and the warning lights went away, but the stock unit would not turn on! Any advice or theories behind this behavior?

I attached my wiring harness just in case.

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Answer for LX/Sport 2017. IMG_7072

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
To fix your stock unit, you most likely blew a fuse so go check/ unplug and replug the ones for the stereo.
I think TCcomes on anytime you disconnect the bat

Cut the remote output from the stereo to the antenna, the stock honda antenna doesnt need this I believe.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
So i just tried installing the Sony XAV-AX5000 myself and it wouldnt turn on. Traction Control lights came on and my auto windows started acting weird. I put the stock unit back in and the warning lights went away, but the stock unit would not turn on! Any advice or theories behind this behavior?

I attached my wiring harness just in case.

IMG_7072.jpg
To fix your stock unit, you most likely blew a fuse so go check/ unplug and replug the ones for the stereo.
I think TCcomes on anytime you disconnect the bat

Cut the remote output from the stereo to the antenna, the stock honda antenna doesnt need this I believe.
Also looks like your Aswc-1 and Nav are plugged into the opposite connectors. The one labeled SWC harness needs to be connected to the aswc-1

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Can you show how your camera looks in reverse. Mine has the fish eye view. But it’s just the wide angle view since we lose the ability to switch views it just stays stuck on that view.

mdp514

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also looks like your Aswc-1 and Nav are plugged into the opposite connectors. The one labeled SWC harness needs to be connected to the aswc-1
This was the issue! I don't know why, but switching the boxes along with replacing the fuses worked. The wheel controls do not work. I think I need to update the box. but at this point i dont care.

Thanks for the help!

mdp514

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you show how your camera looks in reverse. Mine has the fish eye view. But it’s just the wide angle view since we lose the ability to switch views it just stays stuck on that view.
I have the fisheye too. Supermanbadger has a pdf detailing what to do in order to fix it.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
The aswc-1 should be able to be manually programmed (Look on axxess's instructions) to use the wheel controls. It's a pain tho which is why I suggest the LHA-20.
This was the issue! I don't know why, but switching the boxes along with replacing the fuses worked. The wheel controls do not work. I think I need to update the box. but at this point i dont care.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Answer for LX/Sport 2017. 20200525_113501

Here's my backup image. I've never actually compared it to any alternative angles while through the XAV, so its possible my setup is actually a lie haha. It's still good for reverse and parallel parking so im happy with it.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
20200525_113501.jpg

Here's my backup image. I've never actually compared it to any alternative angles while through the XAV, so its possible my setup is actually a lie haha. It's still good for reverse and parallel parking so im happy with it.
Yeah that’s how mine looks to. This is the “fish eye” look everybody is talking about. It’s actually just the wide angle view. If you select the wide angle view on the factory unit it looks the same way. It’s just the new head unit is clearer and makes it more noticeable. The problem is we can’t change the view. If we could just change the view then we would be in business. But like you said, it does get the job done.
Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Stereo Upgrade Answer for LX/Sport 2017. D2FD70FD-FB7E-4F75-A43F-CB8A9A351A91

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Well crap haha, this entire setup thread is a lie!
I know that switching views it has to do with constant voltages (4-6V) to the CAMERA_BIT0 and CAMERA_BIT1 pins, some other threads detail setting up a switch to output these voltages. I thought that grounding them might do the trick.
If you read around and really want to change the view it may be as simple as supplying one of them with the misc output of the stereo.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is a video of the factory unit going through the views. As you can see it’s the wide angle view we are stuck on. The view most people like is the normal view. But nobody can seem to figure out how to change it. Aftermarket radios get stuck on wide.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But my headunit has a aftermarket backup camera for my headunit that I could buy and install but I just haven’t done it, and I believe it has 4 views. But I’m planning on upgrading my headunit soon so I’m gonna wait till then to add an aftermarket camera.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
But my headunit has a aftermarket backup camera for my headunit that I could buy and install but I just haven’t done it, and I believe it has 4 views. But I’m planning on upgrading my headunit soon so I’m gonna wait till then to add an aftermarket camera.
Looks like 8V to CAMERA_BIT0 will setup the normal view, with switching being avialable if you wanna engineer your way through it a bit.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2016-civic-lx-kenwood-audio-receiver-install.4054/page-5
Sponsored