Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
What do you think is the reason stock piping increased turbo lag? It should be the opposite in my opinion. Can you explain please? Thanks
I think the stock piping doesn't fill the intercooler as efficiently as the pipes made for that intercooler. Turbo like to spool a bit later with stock pipes on the mishimoto intercooler but response above 2500rpm doesn't change too much, it isn't the end of the world anyway.
Sponsored

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What intercooler are you running?
27WON

What charge pipes do you have installed?
27WON

Has turbo lag increased/throttle response decreased since install?
YES-lag increased.
Installed TypeR RMM, prior 27WON FMIC, stock tune motor was eager down low, no NVH, very nice change!
However, after FMIC, motor eagerness is gone-back to stock before TypeR RMM, All in all-not bad. In other words, without RMM, lag would be very obvious AND would need more throttle correction-certainly, more than I would like.

Would you recommend the part to the members on this forum?
Yes, especially, turbo lag is easily corrected even without a tune. Also, if not corrected, benefit certainly offset turbo lag.

Is there anything else you would like to say about the intercooler?
Well designed system for sure! But narrower compact silicone specific hose clamp is bette suited in two locations.
In addition, if mounted while on stock tune, recommend TypeR RMM, to offset turbo lag.

DanMahoney26

Redeye
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully this thread isn't dead.

What intercooler are you running?
Injen

What charge pipes do you have installed?
Stock (Deciding whether to buy Injen piping)

Has turbo lag increased/throttle response decreased since install?
Maybe.... If it did I couldn't tell.

Would you recommend the part to the members on this forum?
Yes! I'm not sure why other crap on this intercooler (Yes I their intake junk)

Is there anything else you would like to say about the intercooler?
Easily a 20 degree difference! Much needed when you live in central Florida.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
What intercooler are you running? Rev9 Intercooler
What charge pipes do you have installed? Stock
Has turbo lag increased/throttle response increased since install? No lag
Would you recommend the part to the members on this forum? Yes
Is there anything else you would like to say about the intercooler? The intercooler performs slightly better than stock during stop and go traffic but performs significantly better in freeway.
I changed my intercooler after I upgrade my turbocharger to CAPTS Stage-2 turbocharger, which was TD03 hybrid.

The Rev9 did pretty well with turbo upgrade & able to tame the heat coming from upgraded turbo. It got heatsoak after 4 pull pretty badly.

A mechanic offered HKS R-Type intercooler for Civic 1.5T. The intercooler measured 28x5.6x3.9 so it is quiet a big intercooler in my opinion. The only downside was its tube and fin core construction. After a few discussions with friends & mechanic, I made a shot with the hope the intercooler performed better than the Rev9.

Well... I was wrong.

What intercooler are you running? HKS R-Type Intercooler for Civic 1.5T
What charge pipes do you have installed? Stock charge pipe, inlet and outlet pipe from HKS kit
Would you recommend the part to the members on this forum? Yes for those with stock turbo but I would suggest to stay away from this intercooler for those who upgraded to bigger turbo.
Is there anything else you would like to say about the intercooler? The intercooler cools down pretty fast when I'm not in boost. However, it only took 1 pull for the intercooler to get heatsoak in a hot day (33 celcius and up), or 3 pulls during morning run (27 celcius and lower).

Unfortunately I have sold my Rev9 and I don't feel like buying the same intercooler twice for my built.

I've also allocated my budget for suspension part of my car so I have smaller budget for intercooler purchase. PRL intercooler cost USD 1,320 here. Mishimoto is not available so I need to import, which would net me at least USD 1,000 after shipping and tax. So basically nothing cost higher than USD 500

My only option now is BMS or PLM.

I had sent an email to BMS asking about dimension of the IC to make sure it has different dimension vs. Rev9.

I'm not too confident with PLM intercooler because the cold charge pipe seems like missing bracket to keep the charge pipe from moving. It also seems to be smaller in dimension compare to other IC in the market today. I would appreciate if someone who has been using PLM intercooler could chime in regarding PLM intercooler performance and how it hold up today.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
I changed my intercooler after I upgrade my turbocharger to CAPTS Stage-2 turbocharger, which was TD03 hybrid.

The Rev9 did pretty well with turbo upgrade & able to tame the heat coming from upgraded turbo. It got heatsoak after 4 pull pretty badly.

A mechanic offered HKS R-Type intercooler for Civic 1.5T. The intercooler measured 28x5.6x3.9 so it is quiet a big intercooler in my opinion. The only downside was its tube and fin core construction. After a few discussions with friends & mechanic, I made a shot with the hope the intercooler performed better than the Rev9.

Well... I was wrong.

What intercooler are you running? HKS R-Type Intercooler for Civic 1.5T
What charge pipes do you have installed? Stock charge pipe, inlet and outlet pipe from HKS kit
Would you recommend the part to the members on this forum? Yes for those with stock turbo but I would suggest to stay away from this intercooler for those who upgraded to bigger turbo.
Is there anything else you would like to say about the intercooler? The intercooler cools down pretty fast when I'm not in boost. However, it only took 1 pull for the intercooler to get heatsoak in a hot day (33 celcius and up), or 3 pulls during morning run (27 celcius and lower).

Unfortunately I have sold my Rev9 and I don't feel like buying the same intercooler twice for my built.

I've also allocated my budget for suspension part of my car so I have smaller budget for intercooler purchase. PRL intercooler cost USD 1,320 here. Mishimoto is not available so I need to import, which would net me at least USD 1,000 after shipping and tax. So basically nothing cost higher than USD 500

My only option now is BMS or PLM.

I had sent an email to BMS asking about dimension of the IC to make sure it has different dimension vs. Rev9.

I'm not too confident with PLM intercooler because the cold charge pipe seems like missing bracket to keep the charge pipe from moving. It also seems to be smaller in dimension compare to other IC in the market today. I would appreciate if someone who has been using PLM intercooler could chime in regarding PLM intercooler performance and how it hold up today.
Wow, so sorry to hear that your HKS type R intercooler didnt work out for you with your bigger turbo, Well i hope BMS would work out great as its best bang for buck right now. Yeah its bummer u sold your rev9 intercooler would have given a backup for you at least.
Sponsored