Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So I've been having some issues with the OEM head unit like screen flickering, overall slow performance and some annoying scratches in the screen (used car). It's very worrying that proprietary Honda features are baked in this (not very reliable) piece of hardware. Is there an aftermarket head unit that won't lose the OEM features like TPMS calibration, A/C control, proximity key behavior, maintenance minder, etc?

I've been looking at the Chinese head units posted here but they don't seem reliable to me(do they actually keep all the features?) , I would prefer something like Pioneer or Kenwood but it seems like they won't retain all the Civic specific adjustments. Is there a good one that I'm missing or any clue about this?
Sponsored

zuzu.hallak

First Name
Zuhair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX coupe
Country flag
Take apart your radio and see if you have stereo with amplifier. If you don’t good news. You can upgrade any android screen. I ordered Tesla screen Teyes tpro but I have one problem which is that I have stereo amplifier factory from Honda. They are sending me two cables to hook it up. I’m still waiting

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket head unit for 2018 EX Hatchback 56D62DEB-72C8-443E-A4F9-2842F6CBC0F2

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket head unit for 2018 EX Hatchback F9B1793F-156E-478F-8960-F7B5A9D79DD4

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket head unit for 2018 EX Hatchback 9D868D3F-550B-4BCA-963F-37558D5305BE

mixy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Take apart your radio and see if you have stereo with amplifier. If you don’t good news. You can upgrade any android screen. I ordered Tesla screen Teyes tpro but I have one problem which is that I have stereo amplifier factory from Honda. They are sending me two cables to hook it up. I’m still waiting

56D62DEB-72C8-443E-A4F9-2842F6CBC0F2.jpeg

F9B1793F-156E-478F-8960-F7B5A9D79DD4.jpeg

9D868D3F-550B-4BCA-963F-37558D5305BE.jpeg
Does this head unit work well? Does it support Android Auto? I have to check if I have a factory amp but I wanted to get a new head unit and this looks beautiful and so does its software, which is a huge gripe for me when it comes to these fancy head units.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Does this head unit work well? Does it support Android Auto? I have to check if I have a factory amp but I wanted to get a new head unit and this looks beautiful and so does its software, which is a huge gripe for me when it comes to these fancy head units.
You don't have a factory amp if you don't have a Sport Touring. Also, is the car still under some sort of warranty (I know used cars usually don't)? If you're having this many issues it might be worth it to purchase a used one through ebay, I've seen people get them for like 250-300. I don't use any thing other than name brands like pioneer or kenwood, so I personally am waiting for the Maestro RR to get a harness/compatibility which will retain all factory features. It'll be a few years though (or so they say). The after market factory fit type radios are cool, but having installed a few during my old job I don't like their reliability very much.

mixy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
You don't have a factory amp if you don't have a Sport Touring. Also, is the car still under some sort of warranty (I know used cars usually don't)? If you're having this many issues it might be worth it to purchase a used one through ebay, I've seen people get them for like 250-300. I don't use any thing other than name brands like pioneer or kenwood, so I personally am waiting for the Maestro RR to get a harness/compatibility which will retain all factory features. It'll be a few years though (or so they say). The after market factory fit type radios are cool, but having installed a few during my old job I don't like their reliability very much.
Okay cool thank you. I'm not having any issues with my factory HU I just really liked the look of this one, so I wanted to know if it worked well. I agree I'm quite skeptical of brands other than those big ones, but unfortunately nobody makes anything normally priced to replace the 7" HU with Android Auto, so I'm out of luck. This Maestro RR thing looks interesting, though; shame it isn't out yet. Thanks for the detailed response!

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Okay cool thank you. I'm not having any issues with my factory HU I just really liked the look of this one, so I wanted to know if it worked well. I agree I'm quite skeptical of brands other than those big ones, but unfortunately nobody makes anything normally priced to replace the 7" HU with Android Auto, so I'm out of luck. This Maestro RR thing looks interesting, though; shame it isn't out yet. Thanks for the detailed response!
Yeah, we'll just have to wait til it's out until they can fit. I personally want this Pioneer, so I'm hoping it sticks around when the compatibility is done. I have a Touring so I have an amp so I don't know how they're going to interface with it, but even if it doesn't I've wanted to bypass it with my own amps for a while so I'll have an excuse.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm pretty sure PIONEERs, JVCs and other brand name 2Din HUs won't let you keep all the features. You will lose stock USB and AUX for sure.
Android based systems actually do keep all stock, give you extra USB ports, let you connect DVDs, extra camera, dashcam and even more, read this thread https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ead-unit-feature-overview-installation.17034/
lots of info... I personally just got Android HU in my LX with 5inch monitor and I got tons of extra stuff, even OBD2 for engine rpms and other cool stuff, also got AC on screen, lights, doors etc

OP
OP
Badigadi

Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm pretty sure PIONEERs, JVCs and other brand name 2Din HUs won't let you keep all the features. You will lose stock USB and AUX for sure.
Android based systems actually do keep all stock, give you extra USB ports, let you connect DVDs, extra camera, dashcam and even more, read this thread https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ead-unit-feature-overview-installation.17034/
lots of info... I personally just got Android HU in my LX with 5inch monitor and I got tons of extra stuff, even OBD2 for engine rpms and other cool stuff, also got AC on screen, lights, doors etc
I have an EX so remote start, auto lock, auto headlighrs and maintenance minder (and other that dont come to my mind right now) are baked in the HU, are those features supported by those Android HU? Which one did you get?

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm pretty sure they do since that's exactly what the Maestro RR is designed to do since I've installed them for the last two years, and does for all other cars who have advanced features like ours. The maestro RR or similar smart harnesses as they're called are required in most newer cars and work as far back as 2007 on some cars to do just that. The factory USB can also be retained, as they're simple plugs that are often adapted into USB A for most cars that have them, and this isn't the most common but maestro also makes a usb plug for newer hondas that does just that.

Most mid tier aftermarket headunits allow you to connect multiple cameras, and the RR will retain the turn signal camera on our cars as it does with 2015 civics. Any headunit with a cd drive which is actually a dvd drive will play dvds granted you have to by pass the parking brake to do it while driving if that's really what you want to do. Kenwoods allow you to connect dash cameras as long as they're their brand cameras but that's really such a pointless feature since I'd rather have them on my phone. Not to mention, some headunits even have wireless carplay built in.

Again the RR uses OBD2 connectivity as well to show you exactly what you listed on cars that are already compatible, including previous hondas.

You really think a multi-million dollar company is going to get beat by cheap chinese blank-slate headunits that are sold by multiple different companies and look exactly the same? The only thing that they have them beat on is timing, but the maestro isn't low quality bullshit sold under 10 different names. Since it's made specifically for our cars and it honestly doesn't cost that much for some random person to make them, it makes sense that they'd have them so fast. Where as maestro makes a set of harnesses that work for multiple cars and multiple radios.

Your Emerald, Phoenix, Seicane, or what ever seller you chose for 9" android factory look radio isn't that special and only win in terms of cost, and most of the ones I've installed for people when I did failed more often than not. I'd rather wait, and pay more for something that is sold on one name rather than under multiple names. Cause, I know it works for some people and I know some people trust that kind of stuff, but I don't.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm pretty sure they do since that's exactly what the Maestro RR is designed to do since I've installed them for the last two years, and does for all other cars who have advanced features like ours. The maestro RR or similar smart harnesses as they're called are required in most newer cars and work as far back as 2007 on some cars to do just that. The factory USB can also be retained, as they're simple plugs that are often adapted into USB A for most cars that have them, and this isn't the most common but maestro also makes a usb plug for newer hondas that does just that.

Most mid tier aftermarket headunits allow you to connect multiple cameras, and the RR will retain the turn signal camera on our cars as it does with 2015 civics. Any headunit with a cd drive which is actually a dvd drive will play dvds granted you have to by pass the parking brake to do it while driving if that's really what you want to do. Kenwoods allow you to connect dash cameras as long as they're their brand cameras but that's really such a pointless feature since I'd rather have them on my phone. Not to mention, some headunits even have wireless carplay built in.

Again the RR uses OBD2 connectivity as well to show you exactly what you listed on cars that are already compatible, including previous hondas.

You really think a multi-million dollar company is going to get beat by cheap chinese blank-slate headunits that are sold by multiple different companies and look exactly the same? The only thing that they have them beat on is timing, but the maestro isn't low quality bullshit sold under 10 different names. Since it's made specifically for our cars and it honestly doesn't cost that much for some random person to make them, it makes sense that they'd have them so fast. Where as maestro makes a set of harnesses that work for multiple cars and multiple radios.

Your Emerald, Phoenix, Seicane, or what ever seller you chose for 9" android factory look radio isn't that special and only win in terms of cost, and most of the ones I've installed for people when I did failed more often than not. I'd rather wait, and pay more for something that is sold on one name rather than under multiple names. Cause, I know it works for some people and I know some people trust that kind of stuff, but I don't.
so what would be the cost of the whole complete HU swap ?

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have an EX so remote start, auto lock, auto headlighrs and maintenance minder (and other that dont come to my mind right now) are baked in the HU, are those features supported by those Android HU? Which one did you get?
I got navifly and it does support those, it actually gives even more (like interior light timer etc)

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
so what would be the cost of the whole complete HU swap ?
No clue, because there's so many different options when it comes to selecting headunits and what features people want. I don't work in the industry anymore as of recently, and I don't work for Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Alpine or any other headunit manufacturer so I don't care what people do. It's just that you're wrong, and I didn't think it was fair for people to be led to believe that some random bullshit company is better than established ones.

The only thing that's for certain is that a Maestro RR or RR2 on their own is 180+ and the harness that connects to the RR/RR2, car, and radio, usually cost between 30 and 70. Which is close to the cost of the the "factory fit" radios, and to be honest if that doesn't ring an alarm in regards to the quality of them that's just like, what people are cool with, man.
Sponsored