Aftermarket handbreak replacement?

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
I'm strongly considering buying a new hatchback, but the e-parking break is a dealbreaker. Is it realistic to expect that someone will build a kit to replace the e-parking break with a traditional handbreak? I notice that the Type-R seems to have an e-parking break too.. seems like a mistake on Honda's part.
Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is no room in the centre console for a mechanical handbrake. So I doubt anyone will make an aftermarket one since you would have to re-engineer an entirely new centre console.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
handbrakes have turned electronic to save room. There is no physical linkage on the handbrake/parking brake anymore, so it opens up room for other design decisions. There is no way to simply swap it for a pull lever because there is no linkage under that button

OP
OP

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
Thanks for the comments, looks like it's impossible.

I guess I shouldn't have said "deal breaker", what I meant was "I can't make up my mind between a Civic and a WRX, if I could replace the handbrake I'd probably buy a Civic". Main concerns about the e-brake are:

- Hill starts in San Francisco.
- Accidentally pressing the button while driving.
- Impossible to move the car if brake is engaged with dead battery?
- Reliability, seems there have already been related recalls with previous models.
- Handbrake turns!
- Being stubborn / averse to change I guess. Get off my lawn.

It looks like some car manufs. are adopting the e-brake, others aren't (eg. Honda has it, Subaru doesn't). In my opinion it's worth the extra cabin space / cost, but I understand how others could reach a different conclusion.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
-The Civic has hill start assist. The car will hold the brake on an incline until you press the gas pedal. It won't roll back.
-The e-brake activates by pulling up on the little lever. Pushing down deactivates the e-brake (but only when the brake pedal is depressed). There is no fear of activating the e-brake accidentally by pushing on it.
-If you can't release the e-brake, you will have to tow your car by flatbed truck. However, it should require much power to release the brake, so unless your battery is totally dead or disconnected, you should still be able to release the e-brake at least once.

MrVvrroomm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L sedan (sold), 2018 Volvo S90 T6
Country flag
It looks like some car manufs. are adopting the e-brake, others aren't (eg. Honda has it, Subaru doesn't).
All 2015 and new Subaru Legacy & Outback have electronic parking brakes.

As stated above: hill start assist is a perk of electronic parking brakes.

Ritchey92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Honestly I'm really starting to enjoy it.
I just got rid of my SAAB so I was used to the e-break lever like you're asking about and I was worried about rolling, and accidentally using it while driving.
The one thing I am still concerned about is the towing but I'll see what happens when I get there.

As for the other 2 concerns, the hill assist feature in this car is fucking amazing, I forget i'm driving a stick on hills it feels so weird but it's great.
You'll never accidentally pull up on this button, it just wont happen unless you're actively trying to do it. I do wonder about things getting maybe hooked or stuck on it and then when you make a move it yanks it up. Has anyone posted anything about pulling it up going 40+MPH? Does it fully engage and put you out of control or is it a slower release?
Also one other thing that I liked about the level was how easy it was to just pull up a little bit in traffic so I didn't need to hold down the break, but the new honda break hold feature completely eliminates that issue and makes it even easier than the e-break lever.

Personally don't let something like this decide the car for you as it's going to be a non issue.
You don't want to do e-break turns in your new 2017 car, if anything get this so you aren't stupid enough to pull the lever in your WRX and destroy it.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as what happens when you apply the e-brake while in motion:

Note that it appears he is constantly applying the e-brake, not just pulling it up and letting go. So it looks pretty safe if you just accidentally pull it up momentarily.

Ritchey92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
As far as what happens when you apply the e-brake while in motion:

Note that it appears he is constantly applying the e-brake, not just pulling it up and letting go. So it looks pretty safe if you just accidentally pull it up momentarily.
That looks worse than using the regular breaks, I guess they finally realized how useless it is and just turned it into a parking break with a cool name.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is what the manual says:

If you pull up and hold the electric parking brake switch while driving, the brakes on all four wheels are applied by the VSA system until the vehicle come to a stop. The electric parking brake then applies, and the switch should be released.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is annoying, got my first take on it last year with 2016 Coupe Touring my boy bought but a deal breaker? No.

I guess I just hate it more because you need to Depress the Brakes as well to disable it.

Ritchey92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
It is annoying, got my first take on it last year with 2016 Coupe Touring my boy bought but a deal breaker? No.

I guess I just hate it more because you need to Depress the Brakes as well to disable it.
This is the part im still getting used too.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't have to depress anything to release the e-brake. It will release automatically when you press the gas pedal while in a forward gear. That's the magic of the electronic parking brake.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't have to depress anything to release the e-brake. It will release automatically when you press the gas pedal while in a forward gear. That's the magic of the electronic parking brake.
Isn't that the Brake Hold? I'll try it later.
Sponsored