Aftermarket clutch upgrade.

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
Hello EU friends!

Ive recently started to notice on cold starts my clutch is slipping when pulling off at lights and apperently its early stages of clutch wear or moisture on plates etc..

Thinking of upgrading to a stronger one but with oem feel as eventually i will be aiming for higher power gains 260-280hp tops.

Any advice on clutch options would be great.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would go for a rv6 retrofit flywheel for the oem fk8 clutch.
Oem fk8 clutch is more then enough .

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
I've looked into this a lot just to be prepared for when my clutch starts slipping. The RV6 FK8 retrofit Nick has suggested is the best option considering it will practically hold all the power you want and the feel is 100% OEM! The daily drivability though is probably greatly compromised as it only comes with an aftermarket lightweight flywheel.. When my time comes I think I will go with Clutchmasters FX300 or FX350. It will hold the power I am making, it is compatible with our OEM flywheel and I definitely prefer a slightly heavier pedal feel over the stuttering of a lightweight flywheel. I personally wouldn't consider any other choice than those two (Rv6 or Clutchmasters) but it's up to you. Keep in mind that whatever you choose everything comes from the US so expect to pay considerably more than our civic-fellows Americans. There are no real options in Europe...

OP
OP
CIVICUK

CIVICUK

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch 1.5 turbo manual.
Country flag
I've looked into this a lot just to be prepared for when my clutch starts slipping. The RV6 FK8 retrofit Nick has suggested is the best option considering it will practically hold all the power you want and the feel is 100% OEM! The daily drivability though is probably greatly compromised as it only comes with an aftermarket lightweight flywheel.. When my time comes I think I will go with Clutchmasters FX300 or FX350. It will hold the power I am making, it is compatible with our OEM flywheel and I definitely prefer a slightly heavier pedal feel over the stuttering of a lightweight flywheel. I personally wouldn't consider any other choice than those two (Rv6 or Clutchmasters) but it's up to you. Keep in mind that whatever you choose everything comes from the US so expect to pay considerably more than our civic-fellows Americans. There are no real options in Europe...
I completly agree with you on the shipping from US will cost alot for us in uk & EU.

Where are the clutchmasters brand based? I have heard of these FX350's and it seems a good option if it supports oem flywheel as i dont really want to replace this if nothing is wrong with it ( touch wood *)

I wouldnt mind a little more force on the clutch but not too much for a daily driver if im stuck in traffic.

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
Clutchmasters is in the US. Their clutch set is ~550$+shipping+customs=750€ for Europeans! The RV6 retrofit flywheel is about the same price but you'll have to add the cost of an OEM FK8 clutch set which of course you can find anywhere in Europe. Not sure how heavy the pedal becomes (they claim "slightly increased pedal pressure" in their website) but I believe it will be much more annoying to start your car with a lightweight flywheel than with a slightly heavier pedal.. If there was a choice to get the RV6 retrofit with a normal weight flywheel, I would definitely go that way but since there isn't I will get myself the clutchmasters instead when the time comes.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Clutchmasters had terrible reviews from a lot of users on here.High rpm lock out and such.(Although this was with the single mass flywheel)
ACT clutch has better reviews.
The RV6 flywheel is heavier then most other single mass flywheels.
The RV6 flywheel is 20.5 lbs , ACT is 17.6lbs and Clutch Masters is 17.5 lbs and the Eman fk8 retrofit flywheel was 29lbs with clutch so it would also be around 20lbs for the flywheel.
I would go for a single mass flywheel when upgrading the clutch anyway.

The dual mass flywheel isn't designed for a lot power abuse and if its worn it cant be resurfaced.
If you need to replace it it cost a lot of money much more then a single mass flywheel.
That's also why the FK8 comes with a single mass flywheel from factory.

Exedy even sells single mass flywheels to convert the FK2 type r to a single mass flywheel.
I'm sure the RV6 flywheel works fine without chatter ,there are several users allready using this without any problems.
Sponsored