Aftermarket Android Head Unit

MMarquez661

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
Good Evening, I have a few questions. I know there are many threads regarding the infotainment system. It's hard to get through all of them. I recently read up on a thread regarding the 9" aftermarket Android Head unit. I tried locating that same unit but it show's no longer available. I believe it was a Phoenix. I truely hate the infotainment system! It is slow, freezes and I cannot reset until I turn the car off all the way. I always get car errors on it (mainly Adaptive Cruise Control and CMBS Problem. My question is if i replace the head unit will all that go away? If so, what model/brand has been the popular and reliable choice? I seen a verticle style one. Has anyone had a good experience with that? I'm tired of all the problems with the infotainment system and have thought about taking it back to the dealer to have them fix it but looking through these posts and threads it seems like they don't really have a solution for the issues? Thanks for any input and suggestions!
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Good Evening, I have a few questions. I know there are many threads regarding the infotainment system. It's hard to get through all of them. I recently read up on a thread regarding the 9" aftermarket Android Head unit. I tried locating that same unit but it show's no longer available. I believe it was a Phoenix. I truely hate the infotainment system! It is slow, freezes and I cannot reset until I turn the car off all the way. I always get car errors on it (mainly Adaptive Cruise Control and CMBS Problem. My question is if i replace the head unit will all that go away? If so, what model/brand has been the popular and reliable choice? I seen a verticle style one. Has anyone had a good experience with that? I'm tired of all the problems with the infotainment system and have thought about taking it back to the dealer to have them fix it but looking through these posts and threads it seems like they don't really have a solution for the issues? Thanks for any input and suggestions!
If Honda car is a 2016, there are updates since the original Factory software version, that may address a lot of your issues.

OMG;; I can't believe what I am going to suggest next !!

You might want to take it to your Dealer, and see if there is an Audio Unit Update for your model.

Should be an "Under Warranty update" -- as original software was defective !

Also, all it requires is for the tech to put your car on Charge (So battery does not go flat) and then to re-boot your Head Unit, with the Update USB drive installed, answer YES to continue with update, and then leave the car alone for about 30minutes to 1 hour as it updates. It's not fast !!! But it does not require the tech to be actively "working" on the car for that hour, and charging shop rates ($125+ / hr), while it updates BY ITSELF.

OP
OP

MMarquez661

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
If Honda car is a 2016, there are updates since the original Factory software version, that may address a lot of your issues.

OMG;; I can't believe what I am going to suggest next !!

You might want to take it to your Dealer, and see if there is an Audio Unit Update for your model.

Should be an "Under Warranty update" -- as original software was defective !

Also, all it requires is for the tech to put your car on Charge (So battery does not go flat) and then to re-boot your Head Unit, with the Update USB drive installed, answer YES to continue with update, and then leave the car alone for about 30minutes to 1 hour as it updates. It's not fast !!! But it does not require the tech to be actively "working" on the car for that hour, and charging shop rates ($125+ / hr), while it updates BY ITSELF.
Do you have the information on the software version update? From what I remember a few months after I got it, I remember seeing that there was an update but since I bought my car after the update, that the update should have already been installed. Can you guide me in the direction of the information for that update so I can make sure? Thanks

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The update is done by the dealer... they should have the USB drive with the updates on it.
They also should be able to check if your Head Unit is up to date -- before they even attempt to update it.
Strongly recommend you have the dealer do it .. if you do mess with it yourself, and screw up, no warranty. If the Dealer screws up, they are responsible, and it is covered by warranty.

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
The vertical style uses an older chipset and also requires other modifications. For now, I would stick to the conventional style unless a new updated version comes out. All of the functions (at least all of the ones that were available on my car) can be accessed through the menu system. through the included 'Controls Settings' app.

The familiar Climate control.
Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Android Head Unit upload_2019-2-23_10-45-42

Controls Settings
Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Android Head Unit upload_2019-2-23_10-54-26

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Android Head Unit upload_2019-2-23_11-1-36

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Android Head Unit upload_2019-2-23_11-2-22

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Android Head Unit upload_2019-2-23_11-4-17

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket Android Head Unit upload_2019-2-23_10-56-54

brudacille

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is everyone installing, 9" or 10.2"? When I search the site for the 2019 Civic (I own an Si Sedan if it matters) It comes back with 1 option in 10.2". I keep seeing people talk about the 9" tho... @amxandy

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
What is everyone installing, 9" or 10.2"? When I search the site for the 2019 Civic (I own an Si Sedan if it matters) It comes back with 1 option in 10.2". I keep seeing people talk about the 9" tho... @amxandy
Interesting fact ... the actual display is 9", but if you measure the entire front panel it is 10.2". I think it is just marketing.
Sponsored