C.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport, 2001 Honda Civic, 2015 Honda Accord Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello again all!

I was wondering if anyone has ran an aftermarket amp to the factory speakers yet with the facotyr head unit. I have the small lcd screen that non touch and was curious how the rca hook up would work. I know you need some kind of converter but i am kinda lost on what to get. If anyone has any links or advice to what i need i would greatly appreciate it. It has been at least 10 plus years since i have put a system in a car and need a brush up!
Sponsored

TT-00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Why would want to do that? Factory speakers sucks, best would be replace all factory speakers and add a sub.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say step one is to upgrade the speakers and afterwards the head unit. Adding an amp after that would be the next step. If you add an amp behind the factory head unit it won't really work like it's supposed to because the factory head unit modifies the audio signal and there is no way to get around that without spending several hundreds of dollars on other parts.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Yeah, you need to be sure your solution fixes the problem you're trying to solve.

The only problem adding more wattage will fix is if you think the system sounds great at lower volumes, but then gets bad at high volume.

If you think the system sounds bad at any volume level, adding an amp won't change that.

Deleted member 24192

Yes, replace the speakers first. I have a Sport hatchback and replacing the stocks with Morel Maximo coxials made a huge difference in clarity. I heard more layers in songs I've been listening to for a long time which really tripped me up! Some of them are mp3s and some are through YouTube.

Depending on the song I'm listening to and how (music player or YouTube), the bass can either very good or a bit lacking. I'll have to see if I need a bit more power to fully maximize the speakers, or add a small sub to drop the balls.

Arman98

First Name
Arman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Yes, replace the speakers first. I have a Sport hatchback and replacing the stocks with Morel Maximo coxials made a huge difference in clarity. I heard more layers in songs I've been listening to for a long time which really tripped me up! Some of them are mp3s and some are through YouTube.

Depending on the song I'm listening to and how (music player or YouTube), the bass can either very good or a bit lacking. I'll have to see if I need a bit more power to fully maximize the speakers, or add a small sub to drop the balls.
what size did you get?

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
The same ones in the car: 6.5 inches. I got them from Crutchfield.
I wound up installing an Android Head unit (200w), a 15 inch sub and sub amp, and Polk db1001 tweeters on my base '17 LX Coupe, which really helped balance and improve the sound quality and bring out the lows/highs, but am still running the 4 original stock speakers.

Do you think it would be worth upgrading my stock speakers as well? I am currently happy with the way it sounds as I can experience the full spectrum, but was wondering if it's also worth upgrading the 4 stock speakers as well to further improve the sound quality.

Deleted member 24192

I wound up installing an Android Head unit (200w), a 15 inch sub and sub amp, and Polk db1001 tweeters on my base '17 LX Coupe, which really helped balance and improve the sound quality and bring out the lows/highs, but am still running the 4 original stock speakers.

Do you think it would be worth upgrading my stock speakers as well? I am currently happy with the way it sounds as I can experience the full spectrum, but was wondering if it's also worth upgrading the 4 stock speakers as well to further improve the sound quality.
I feel replacing the four speakers will improve your sound even further. However, since you said you're already happy with the current set up then don't and save your $$$ for other upgrades that you might need.

I went with the speaker route instead of the head unit because of my experience as a producer. Better headphones brought out the different layers in the music I'm mixing compared with cheaper headphones (or headphones not meant for mixing). Also, I'm afraid of someone dismantling my dash and having it not fit the same way again. In fact, after leaving the car install place, I went around my doors to see if he put my door panels back correctly. He didn't--I found some gaps that needed to be pushed in.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I feel replacing the four speakers will improve your sound even further. However, since you said you're already happy with the current set up then don't and save your $$$ for other upgrades that you might need.

I went with the speaker route instead of the head unit because of my experience as a producer. Better headphones brought out the different layers in the music I'm mixing compared with cheaper headphones (or headphones not meant for mixing). Also, I'm afraid of someone dismantling my dash and having it not fit the same way again. In fact, after leaving the car install place, I went around my doors to see if he put my door panels back correctly. He didn't--I found some gaps that needed to be pushed in.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm always up to improve sound quality and may eventually consider upgrading the 2 front door speakers and wanted to get something easily replaceable for the 2 fronts that fit without any permanent modifications to the vehicle, and definitely would also get the correct connectors to match the OEM speaker connectors.

Since I already have tweeters installed, do you think coaxials would be good for front speaker replacements?

Last edited:

Deleted member 24192

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm always up to improve sound quality and may eventually consider upgrading the 2 front door speakers and wanted to get something easily replaceable for the 2 fronts that fit without any permanent modifications to the vehicle, and definitely would also get the correct connectors to match the OEM speaker connectors.

Since I already have tweeters installed, do you think coaxials would be good for front speaker replacements?
That might be a question for audio experts--but not salesmen at the speaker stores (they'll sell you anything). But, per your description of experiencing the full spectrum, it "sounds" like you have a good system already :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-L Navi Hatchback
The same ones in the car: 6.5 inches. I got them from Crutchfield.
Were you able to line up factory holes with the new speakers? Any issues with space behind speakers for windows? How are the factory speakers installed, rivets or screws? Thanks in advance

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
That might be a question for audio experts--but not salesmen at the speaker stores (they'll sell you anything). But, per your description of experiencing the full spectrum, it "sounds" like you have a good system already :)
Thanks for the input! I'll do more research to determine if they're worth upgrading at this point, as i'm fine with the original speakers when combined with sub and tweeters since that's where the original LX stock system suffers without having the lows/highs, but if I can make the mid range sound even better by replacing the factory ones then it will totally be worth it if I can find an appropriate set that is simple enough to install without and permanent modifications.

Deleted member 24192

Were you able to line up factory holes with the new speakers? Any issues with space behind speakers for windows? How are the factory speakers installed, rivets or screws? Thanks in advance
I had the speakers installed at Best Buy. They charged around $65 a pair. The guy didn't say anything about the installation being difficult. I got the speakers from Crutchfield and were filtered by the make and model of my car (2018 Honda Civic hatchback Sport). I also talked to one of their agents just to be sure they will work with my car's head unit without any major mods.
Sponsored