After one year and 42k+ miles......EX-T - Sensing

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
IMO, I honestly think it's the first year model problems. The Civic was really upgraded with more tech than the prior model and I think 2016 was really a test drive and was very susceptible to problems. I've had none of the issues except the jerky transmission and some quality control issues probably related to the company. My car was actually built Jan 2017. I bought it in Feb 2017. The adage don't buy the first year probably applies to this car.

Then again you could say it's a Honda and Japanese are supposed to be quality but that's entirely another discussion itself
Sponsored

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Lol. Could be worse

Check out this guy's video:

$100,000 car power steering goes out while driving it. Tesla "fixed" it, then it went out again while driving.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Tell me more about how much you paid for a firmware update. When exactly they stop giving free firmware updates. And the version change info?

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sensing isn't perfect but I'm glad I have it. I use LKAS nearly every time I got on a highway. It works well for me. I haven't noticed any of the problems that OP described. The ACC I agree is far too conservative and you will constantly be cut off in moderate to heavy traffic. That being said, I only use it in light traffic and it works well. I think it is important to realize that we are using the first generation of the software. Honda and the auto industry will continue to iterate and improve these active safety features over time.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Sensing isn't perfect but I'm glad I have it. I use LKAS nearly every time I got on a highway. It works well for me. I haven't noticed any of the problems that OP described. The ACC I agree is far too conservative and you will constantly be cut off in moderate to heavy traffic. That being said, I only use it in light traffic and it works well. I think it is important to realize that we are using the first generation of the software. Honda and the auto industry will continue to iterate and improve these active safety features over time.
LKAS I use it everytime I am on the highway. ACC I don't enjoy in traffic as I don't like that it will break check once it's just outside the set distance but it works very well if the person in front accelerates while they are still within your set range. I have a 2017 civic lx and for what it is and how it's programmed to work it does a great job.

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hello.

So I have a Touring Sedan and right now I have about 14,800 miles or so on the car and its been almost a year since I've had it (11 months). I do agree that sensing is worthless, especially if you're a good driver (and by good I mean with good reflexes and all that). It might be just me but on my morning commutes to work, when mostly everyone either drives like an idiot or drives like they're on the Autobahn, I turn off my collision sensing as well. I have never used ACC (lol, ACC) or lane departure because I don't trust them.

Brakes have been terrible. In the span of one year, my brakes have degraded fast and I'm going to replace them next month when I get my next oil change. Another problem that I seem to notice is the infotainment would randomly change screens by itself. What I mean by this is, lets say I have the audio to show all the songs I have on that particular model. Then, out of the blue, the 'beep' sound would come on and it would be on another completely different screen.

I don't trust the quality of this car and am now looking for another car for my daily commute until I can trade it in next month. The positives about this car is, the front fascia gets a lot of compliments. A lot.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I think he paid 20k+ for a car that should work as advertised. Anyone who says sensing works well either has one that works a shit ton better than mine, or haven't spent enough time on the highway to see how bad this garbage is. It's a gimmick and nothing else IMO. The random hard braking (when you cross a dotted line, sometimes they are impossible to miss...construction zones, etc) almost causes more accidents than it has ever helped me out on. The fact that the car can see good enough to fire up lane departure warnings, yet LKAS couldn't see good enough to keep you from going there to begin with. ACC is far too jerky in slow traffic, and doesn't get close enough to let left lane loiterers know that you're wanting them to pass....so you just sit there behind him joining the parade that's developing. Of course you can just press the gas to get closer....but if your foot isn't in the exact right place....another involuntary brake check. I used ALL of these features every mile of 50k miles, and I quit every last one of them. I do still use LKAS on the highway, but it's almost more work correcting it when it tries to take you to the median every time you pass a crossroad or a left hand exit.

Between that and android auto, I literally find myself yelling how I hate this car, daily. It would be a wonderful car had they put some support up to correct the software and firmware of these systems. Same with android auto. Been out 2 years now and they have yet to provide any improvements to how it performs. That goes for Google's end too. It can understand an entire paragraph composing a text, yet cannot understand "send" or "no" when it was one of three words it asked for you to reply.

Brake hold is awesome though. Horn still sucks.
Something may be wrong with your car. The car should not be braking unless there is something in front of it that isn't moving or is going considerably slower. LKAS will steer the car for about ten seconds before it tells you to give it some steering input. My car has also never tried to follow an exit. It shouldn't since the line on your left side should still be going straight. Lane departure should only shake the wheel and give you a warning, I have never experienced braking from a lane departure. The collision mitigation is a little sensitive I will give it that. I have had situations where the car in front of me was turning right and I could clearly see that I could let off the brake and begin to accelerate without a collision but the car thought otherwise. It did save my wife's ass during this shitty winter we had. She is a little inattentive and was following a little too close when she looked at the touch screen for a second and the car in front of her was stopping and the Civic stopped without her intervention.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Something may be wrong with your car. The car should not be braking unless there is something in front of it that isn't moving or is going considerably slower. LKAS will steer the car for about ten seconds before it tells you to give it some steering input. My car has also never tried to follow an exit. It shouldn't since the line on your left side should still be going straight. Lane departure should only shake the wheel and give you a warning, I have never experienced braking from a lane departure. The collision mitigation is a little sensitive I will give it that. I have had situations where the car in front of me was turning right and I could clearly see that I could let off the brake and begin to accelerate without a collision but the car thought otherwise. It did save my wife's ass during this shitty winter we had. She is a little inattentive and was following a little too close when she looked at the touch screen for a second and the car in front of her was stopping and the Civic stopped without her intervention.
Na. Mine breaks when cars turn off the road, even when theyh are well off the road5-10 ft.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like this lol

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Totally agree. And, you can lower the sensitivity of the collision mitigation system.

IAHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Ex
I dont know about you, but my sensing works good. The only issues I have seen are that sometimes there is some patchwork on the highway and on bright sunny days it can become a bit reflective to the point where the car thinks those are the lines and the lane keep assist goes a little crazy, but little issues like that are to be expected in real world conditions. Otherwise my ACC is brilliant and keeps a good length between my car and the car in front....stops very well on its own too. I use it all the time in traffic.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I dont know about you, but my sensing works good. The only issues I have seen are that sometimes there is some patchwork on the highway and on bright sunny days it can become a bit reflective to the point where the car thinks those are the lines and the lane keep assist goes a little crazy, but little issues like that are to be expected in real world conditions. Otherwise my ACC is brilliant and keeps a good length between my car and the car in front....stops very well on its own too. I use it all the time in traffic.
So I am in Washington and we went to the Oregon coast over new years. On the way back that Monday after new years, we hit this ridiculous snow storm through the Columbia Gorge. After getting through the storm it was basically driving on ice for the last 100 miles or so. Once the roads started to get better, the damn car felt like I was going to lose control going more than 30 miles an hour. People were flying past me. I finally realized that LKAS was still on and the car was super confused due to all the spots of ice we were driving over and it was basically jiggling the steering wheel making it feel like I was going to lose control. Once I turned it off I was able to drive a little faster while still having control.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I am in Washington and we went to the Oregon coast over new years. On the way back that Monday after new years, we hit this ridiculous snow storm through the Columbia Gorge. After getting through the storm it was basically driving on ice for the last 100 miles or so. Once the roads started to get better, the damn car felt like I was going to lose control going more than 30 miles an hour. People were flying past me. I finally realized that LKAS was still on and the car was super confused due to all the spots of ice we were driving over and it was basically jiggling the steering wheel making it feel like I was going to lose control. Once I turned it off I was able to drive a little faster while still having control.
It clearly states in the owners manual that LKAS and the Sensing suite will not work correctly in certain conditions, like snow/ice, rain and such. We have to remember these are driving "aids" not replacements. I just turn that stuff off in the rain here.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It clearly states in the owners manual that LKAS and the Sensing suite will not work correctly in certain conditions, like snow/ice, rain and such. We have to remember these are driving "aids" not replacements. I just turn that stuff off in the rain here.
During a storm, snow caked on the sensors, and I got a message on the dash saying that the sensing system was not available. When the snow melted off later that day, everything was running fine again.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
I think what he is referring to the acc braking is when he is going on a curve. The acc detects the car to the lane next to him due to radar waves following a straight line and not lane markings. I had it happen to me but I was prepared since I knew the radar waves would pick up on the curve.
Sponsored