NickName541

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Country flag
I’ve searched and found nothing, so if I’ve missed it please feel free to delete.

Curious to see owners reactions to after getting a Hondata FlashPro on a relatively stock FK8? Not a FBO w/FlashPro car, but maybe an intake or small upgrade but pretty much stock + FlashPro.

Mainly, does anyone have any 1/4 times before and after a FlashPro?

Finally, what does the butt-dyno say? Is it a noticeable increase in power, acceleration, and overall performance?

thx!
Sponsored

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Sorry I'm a little late to the party - I had my '21 FK8 jailbroken and flashed with a 93 basemap a little over a week ago.

I have no powertrain mods to the car, though I do have 18" Titan7 wheels. All other mods/upgrades don't affect performance (tint, ceramic coat, side markers, things like that).

The car is my daily driver; no track stuff so far other than a single autocross event a few months ago.

Performance: The options I chose in the basemap left torque basically untouched from stock in 1st & 2nd gear however there's something different, I just can't put my finger on what it is. There's an option in the basemap to not reduce torque in 1 & 2, but I don't think there are any tires on earth that will hold traction on a CTR at full power in those gears.

Now, starting in third gear you can definitely feel a difference. When you're on the highway and you floor it, you know you've floored it. It's certainly not double the acceleration, but it is noticeably more - 15-20% maybe? Pretty impressive for a software upgrade.

Unfortunately I don't have any hard statistics for you - drag racing isn't my thing, so I don't have any 1/4 mile times to offer.

Anyway if there's anything else I can answer I'll try, even though most of my observations are subjective.

-bob

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Sorry I'm a little late to the party - I had my '21 FK8 jailbroken and flashed with a 93 basemap a little over a week ago.

I have no powertrain mods to the car, though I do have 18" Titan7 wheels. All other mods/upgrades don't affect performance (tint, ceramic coat, side markers, things like that).

The car is my daily driver; no track stuff so far other than a single autocross event a few months ago.

Performance: The options I chose in the basemap left torque basically untouched from stock in 1st & 2nd gear however there's something different, I just can't put my finger on what it is. There's an option in the basemap to not reduce torque in 1 & 2, but I don't think there are any tires on earth that will hold traction on a CTR at full power in those gears.

Now, starting in third gear you can definitely feel a difference. When you're on the highway and you floor it, you know you've floored it. It's certainly not double the acceleration, but it is noticeably more - 15-20% maybe? Pretty impressive for a software upgrade.

Unfortunately I don't have any hard statistics for you - drag racing isn't my thing, so I don't have any 1/4 mile times to offer.

Anyway if there's anything else I can answer I'll try, even though most of my observations are subjective.

-bob
What about Hondata Traction Control?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I am really interested in this as well. I know that none of the other full bolt ons work without a tune but wonder how well a tune does on its own. Too much power just yields too much heat so no need for a gazillion HP or torque.

Also wonder about the relative track performance of increase in torque vs increase in power (assuming you can use Hondata to do this preferentially.)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Most base and off the shelf tunes are actually tested and designed on stock vehicles. There is not a better bang for the buck mod than a tune. And it's not just the power, the improvement in driveability is incredible.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
What about Hondata Traction Control?
Hondata traction control is enabled by default in the basemap, but I've not driven the car hard enough for it to engage traction control yet (at least since it was tuned). I likely won't see anything with traction control until another Autocross event.

-bob

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, is there any advantage to going for a custom tune vs Hondata or Ktuner if you don't have bolt ons?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So, is there any advantage to going for a custom tune vs Hondata or Ktuner if you don't have bolt ons?
There will always be benefits to a custom tune imo - it's calibrated for your elevation and they can wring a little bit more out than an off the shelf tune which has a lot of safety margins built in by nature.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There will always be benefits to a custom tune imo - it's calibrated for your elevation and they can wring a little bit more out than an off the shelf tune which has a lot of safety margins built in by nature.
Maybe the safety margins are good??

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So most of you R guys have no idea who I am. Let me introduce myself. I'm one of the tuning "gurus" on the non-R side of the forum. I also run the community tuning reliability and experience database thread which includes nearly 60 tuned Type R's as well.

Here's my educated two cents. Yes, a custom tune can dial things in in a more precise way. But, my take is that an OTS tune is probably the way to go if you are essentially running minimal or no bolts ons. And yes, that safety margin is a good thing. Matter of fact, OTS tunes on a near stock setup have proven to be nearly bullet proof.

If you go the full bolt on route, without question a custom is the way to go.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So most of you R guys have no idea who I am. Let me introduce myself. I'm one of the tuning "gurus" on the non-R side of the forum. I also run the community tuning reliability and experience database thread which includes nearly 60 tuned Type R's as well.

Here's my educated two cents. Yes, a custom tune can dial things in in a more precise way. But, my take is that an OTS tune is probably the way to go if you are essentially running minimal or no bolts ons. And yes, that safety margin is a good thing. Matter of fact, OTS tunes on a near stock setup have proven to be nearly bullet proof.

If you go the full bolt on route, without question a custom is the way to go.
Many thanks. I appreciate your honesty and advice.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
So here's my take on the Hondata basemap tune

Car has Prl HVI + PRL FMIC (power wise probably doesn't change much)

I first flashed the Hondata 91 octane tune. Difference was definately noticeable but wasn't anything crazy

I then flashed the 93 octcane tune (running 94 oct from petro canada) - WOW
The acceleration isn't shit your pants fast but if I have no passenger and less than a half tank on a cool day, 3rd gear fkn goooesss. Just today I was spinning my Michelin ps4s at ++60mph

As for 1/4 times - take this with a grain of salt because the track I go to reads *slow* compared to other tracks in the area

Prior to being tuned my best time was 14.2 @ 105ish MPH
My best after 93 flash is 13.5@ 111.8MPH
Sponsored