After 6000 miles or 10,000 km i feel that everything rattles

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I wonder if I just got lucky or what. You see people on here and you would think this car is this biggest POS ever made. Did all you guys buy your cars the first few months it came out? I got mine over the summer and don't have any of the issues people are talking about. Or maybe I'm just not as anal as other people.
I got mine in August and have issues. It may very well be that some aren't as anal as others. But the rattles in mine are there. And when they wanna act up, they are loud.
Sponsored

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Sienna, 2016 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
If it sounds like its coming from the Small Side Window, its 100% the same one I have. When I drive, and even sitting in the back, it definitely sounds like a rattle. Its when you go in the trunk that you can really hear that it sort of squeaks.

Do this, push on your back bumper on the side (close to the tail light), and you will hear that bumper squeak.
UPDATE: You pointed me in the right direction! I pushed on the bumper on the rear passenger side all around and couldn't get it to squeak or make any noise. Then I pushed on the taillight and . . . wallah! It was loose and made a noise whenever pushed. I pushed on it firmly and I have not heard the "rattle" since!

I wonder if it might not return over time since it developed and got worse over time previously. If it does I will look at taking off the tail light assembly and seeing if can put some sound dampening in before I reattach it firmly. I am just glad to have, hopefully, isolated where it was coming from. So thanks again for your helpful info!

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
UPDATE: You pointed me in the right direction! I pushed on the bumper on the rear passenger side all around and couldn't get it to squeak or make any noise. Then I pushed on the taillight and . . . wallah! It was loose and made a noise whenever pushed. I pushed on it firmly and I have not heard the "rattle" since!

I wonder if it might not return over time since it developed and got worse over time previously. If it does I will look at taking off the tail light assembly and seeing if can put some sound dampening in before I reattach it firmly. I am just glad to have, hopefully, isolated where it was coming from. So thanks again for your helpful info!
Awesome!! Glad to hear that. I honestly didn't push it too hard (at least I don't think I did), I was afraid it would cause it to rattle more. But I haven't heard anything past 4 days, so hopefully it stays. There's a screw in the taillight, when you open the trunk. I did tighten that a bit. Maybe that helps too?

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Sienna, 2016 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Awesome!! Glad to hear that. I honestly didn't push it too hard (at least I don't think I did), I was afraid it would cause it to rattle more. But I haven't heard anything past 4 days, so hopefully it stays. There's a screw in the taillight, when you open the trunk. I did tighten that a bit. Maybe that helps too?
I'll check that screw as well. This really has been about my only issue with my Civic so if I get this settled I will be a happy camper!

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
theres also a small clip near the lower corner of the taillamp which snaps in when you press on the light.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'll check that screw as well. This really has been about my only issue with my Civic so if I get this settled I will be a happy camper!
I'm very close to getting there. The rattles I have, I believe to have it fixed with some tape and foam. At this point, I believe the stuff I hear is purely because I'm looking to find issues and I think they are rattles, but normal sounds for a car. I really need to drive someone else's car to see how paranoid I am.

theres also a small clip near the lower corner of the taillamp which snaps in when you press on the light.
Any chance you have a picture of it?

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont have a pic, but someone posted this video showing the 2 clips located behind the light. you can try pushing on that area to make it seat if thats were the rattle is coming from.

Kletice1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic
I just got my car in August and went for my first oil change. I also complained about the paint coming off on the door. Nevertheless, I was told that I damaged my door and that is why the paint is chipping.. After my oil change, my car has not been the same since then. There is rattling everywhere in the car and for some reason my Bluetooth is acting up. Smh.. I never should have bought this car!!

Nomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zastava Koral
I have tons problems with my car, but after seeing how this guy mods his civic, I'm convinced to keep mine and do this on my Civic X.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Found a new one today, it was colder today than ever. My map light unit buzzes and rattles. Tomorrow I am going to take it apart and use some foam and metal tape to reinforce the inside.

I did notice, the plastic bezel cannot get any thinner without looking clear like glass. It is egg shell thin, so when it is cold, it becomes brittle. I think Honda has gotten to the point of being so frugal,, nice word..with this car, that it can't get any cheaper without falling apart below warranty.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I do not doubt any of the comments I've read here. All I can say is that I consider myself lucky. My 16 Touring has a bit over 15k miles and I have zero squeaks or rattles. The car is extremely tight. I've owned 2 early 2000 model Mercedes and those cars were not as well made as this car. I'll be the first to complain if any problems arise.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I have a slight rattle that occurs when the car is in gear and the A/C is on or the engine is cold, seems to be coming from the engine bay. It's definitely related to the higher RPM during those times. While I'd love to figure it out, I'm not going to start tearing things apart to find it since it's not all that noticeable. If I see a post with a fix to a similar issue I will take a look at it though.

I've owned my Civic for a year now and have 13k on the odo. I am still very happy with the car, and I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I have noticed no QC issues, I guess I just got lucky. If my car was rattling like some of yours are I would be annoyed too, it's just unfortunate that rattles are so difficult to pinpoint.

I just wanted to leave a somewhat positive post, the car isn't a cheap piece of crap imo. It's just difficult for any manufacturer to achieve 100% perfection on a machine that has so many parts.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Also, consider the area of the country. I travel in my job all over the country. Some places are very cold in the morning with the car sitting outside the hotel. When I am at home, it is in a garage.

Weather has a lot to do with unwanted noise in a car. I noticed the colder it is, the more noise...

PS, I had a Honda Element about 8 years ago, that car was solid as a rock! Not a squeak. I put 80K on it to, and still no rattles.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
May sound strange but I have the feeling the Civics made in China are built better. Same feeling for my previous Malibu

Rannhl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's be real here.

I have a '16 Civic Coupe (Touring). But I've also owned 4 new/almost new BMW 3-series cars.

Trust me, the BMWs have quirks too. One had a always "chirping" fan. One had irritating road noise when you coasted. I had one with severed engine mount bolts. One with a control panel (speedo, tach, etc) that shorted out and needed to be completely replaced. Xenon headlights going out. Front axle issues. Squeaky struts. And, yes, BMWs can rattle too!

Yet, I've bought 4 of them because they drive so well. The new Civic - at least mine - drives very nicely and packs a ton of tech. The Civic SXM radio sounds better than the BMW. I prefer adaptive cruise in the Civic. The Civic uses REGULAR gas! A Civic oil change doesn't cost $100. You can get a brake job on a Civic anywhere (don't try that with a BMW).

Is it perfect - no. I hate the rear brake light cover falling off. But let's be real people.
Let me know if you can find a pair of door sills....can believe there is not a selection out there on the market
Sponsored