AFR/fuel trim randomly going wild during idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Got the PRL HVI intake installed along with the inlet pipe and charge pipes. Good lord does it sound like an absolute monster now..

However, I pulled up my datalogs and saw something strange going on with the AFR/fuel trim while I was idling at a light. My AFR started getting rich and the short term fuel trim started dropping, all the way to -16%, paired with a slight change in ignition.

I've never seen this in my datalogs before nor did I notice anything while driving. Not super concerned, moreso curious as I always am, but wondering if someone could chime in why it randomly was doing this with no driver input. Attached truncated datalog but I can't see anything changing other than temperatures.

Honda Civic 10th gen AFR/fuel trim randomly going wild during idle? fuel weirdness

Attachments

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Got the PRL HVI intake installed along with the inlet pipe and charge pipes. Good lord does it sound like an absolute monster now..

However, I pulled up my datalogs and saw something strange going on with the AFR/fuel trim while I was idling at a light. My AFR started getting rich and the short term fuel trim started dropping, all the way to -16%, paired with a slight change in ignition.

I've never seen this in my datalogs before nor did I notice anything while driving. Not super concerned, moreso curious as I always am, but wondering if someone could chime in why it randomly was doing this with no driver input. Attached truncated datalog but I can't see anything changing other than temperatures.

fuel weirdness.png
Post it on the Hondata forum. This is interesting.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

fuel weirdness.png
did you do the same with the factory intake...just to count it out as being normal?

dixie1

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renault Megane RS Lotus Exige V6 and soon Honda civic type R 2018
Country flag
I have an AEM air fuel gauge , at idle it's always 14.7 .....

OP
OP
kefi

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This issue has gotten worse, it seems. Now it just continuously fluctuates. I think it's a vacuum leak but I can't find it. Tried waving an unlit propane torch around every connection and no dice.
Honda Civic 10th gen AFR/fuel trim randomly going wild during idle? upload_2020-3-3_22-43-42

I'm assuming everyone else's AFR doesn't do this at idle? The swings become more rapid if I hold RPMs at 2000-3000 and then goes back to the slow swing after I let off.

I did some more testing this morning and the swings are still there, but the peaks are below AFCMD now instead of the wave being centered on it. This gremlin is driving me nuts.

Maybe an issue with the MAF calibration? Doesn't make sense though, haven't heard of anyone needing to tune for the PRL HVI.

I would think a vacuum leak at idle would also cause it to idle higher.. but my idle is very stable despite all this. It's also having these swings under high boost, just not nearly as noticeable.

Starting to fear an issue elsewhere, like fuel delivery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kefi

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
did you do the same with the factory intake...just to count it out as being normal?
I just found a datalog from before I put on all these parts and it was doing it then too.

Last edited:

BanquoX

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was this ever resolved?

OP
OP
kefi

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Was this ever resolved?
It's been a long while since this thread, but it's generally believed to be normal to see AFRs swing around at idle or light load. It's only during WOT that AFR swings are a problem.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.