Brett721

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si
Country flag
I am looking into buying a tuner for my 18 si coupe, but am unsure of either to buy the ktuner or hondata. What are some advantages from one tuner over the other? Also is there any difference between ktuner v1.2 and v2 other than you get a little screen?
Please tell me what you know!
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I am looking into buying a tuner for my 18 si coupe, but am unsure of either to buy the ktuner or hondata. What are some advantages from one tuner over the other? Also is there any difference between ktuner v1.2 and v2 other than you get a little screen?
Please tell me what you know!
These questions have been answered before. Please search first.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've had both Hondata and KTuner and you can't go wrong with either. For me though, the KTuner V2 was the answer. It's not just the touchscreen, it's the fact I don't need to lug a laptop to lock, unlock, upload or datalog. If you have no problems with a laptop in the car, the V1.2 is able to do everything the V2 can do. The magic is in the software.

Hondata is good, but I like the feature set on KTuner better. Two standouts are quick boost by gear and on the fly map switching.

And btw, the touchscreen isn't as "little" as you think. :cool:

OP
OP
Brett721

Brett721

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si
Country flag
I've had both Hondata and KTuner and you can't go wrong with either. For me though, the KTuner V2 was the answer. It's not just the touchscreen, it's the fact I don't need to lug a laptop to lock, unlock, upload or datalog. If you have no problems with a laptop in the car, the V1.2 is able to do everything the V2 can do. The magic is in the software.

Hondata is good, but I like the feature set on KTuner better. Two standouts are quick boost by gear and on the fly map switching.

And btw, the touchscreen isn't as "little" as you think. :cool:
Ok awesome, you answered all of the questions i had. Thank you!

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Looks around

......Hondata.....

ahh shit, please dont form a lynch mob guys.

Hondata.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
From what I've read on this forum, Ktuner sounds like the better option for beginners without many other mods who will likely stick with the basemaps (or canned TSP/MAPerformance tunes), while Hondata works well for someone with a heavily-modded civic looking to get a custom tune. Could be wrong though

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
From what I've read on this forum, Ktuner sounds like the better option for beginners without many other mods who will likely stick with the basemaps (or canned TSP/MAPerformance tunes), while Hondata works well for someone with a heavily-modded civic looking to get a custom tune. Could be wrong though
Answered almost all of my questions too. The one million dollar question is will the stock clutch hold up with the ktuner v2?

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I’m also in the market for a tuner what sold me on the Hondata is their traction control setting that helps with wheel spin and I also will be getting a custom tune when fully bolt on

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m also in the market for a tuner what sold me on the Hondata is their traction control setting that helps with wheel spin and I also will be getting a custom tune when fully bolt on
KTuner has a similar feature called "Advanced VSA", in addition to their "Quick Boost by Gear" which is easier to set up than Hondata's BBG.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Answered almost all of my questions too. The one million dollar question is will the stock clutch hold up with the ktuner v2?
I’ve got over 20k tuned on stock clutch zero slip issues... keep out of high boost in 5th and 6th (15psi or so) below 4K rpm and you’ll be fine if you know how to drive. Respect the car and the power.

KTuner and TSP Stage 1 for me. BBG limits set in 4th, 5th and 6th to my driving preferences.

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
I’ve got over 20k tuned on stock clutch zero slip issues... keep out of high boost in 5th and 6th (15psi or so) below 4K rpm and you’ll be fine if you know how to drive. Respect the car and the power.
Cool thanks for the advice bro. Do they have a tune you can download that scales back the tq at lower rpms in 5th and 6th?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Cool thanks for the advice bro. Do they have a tune you can download that scales back the tq at lower rpms in 5th and 6th?
KTuner quick BBG selections are available on the KTuner basemaps and TSP Stage 1 tune. My settings below (YMMV)

4th - 20psi with ramp ( hold to a max of 20psi below 4000rpm and then ramps to max targeted after 4k, target dependent)

5th - 17psi no ramp (boost held to 17psi max regardless of any higher targets)

6th - 15psi no ramp

I don’t normally floor it in higher gears at low rpm, I downshift into 4th when passing. The BBG settings are just an additional safety net to not stress the clutch.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Hondata is very good. No question.

KTuner is just a bit better.

I've used both. Have you?
Yes. I didnt hate ktuner, but i missed some of the features of FP. I didnt use most of the features that ppl on here praise about ktuner so it was pointless for me.
Sponsored