Advice on Spoon springs; with or without Spoon balljoints

Candyblueta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CTR, '01 PY ITR, '17 R8 Plus, '15 M4 700+hp, '15 Sprintex S/C CR-Z, '20 Ram 1500 Longhorn, '71 C10 Restored, '01 BMW Wagon, '02 CETA WS6, & some bikes!
Country flag
Hello all!

I am planning on installing Spoon Springs on my ‘20 ctr. I’ve also had a set of Spoons lower corrective ball joints(“zero bump steer kit”) laying around that I bought from another member here.

My question is; are the ball joints made specifically to match with lowering springs or are they more optimized for cars that are slammed on coil overs or what not. Basically should I bother with them with just lowering springs, or is it overkill with springs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Candyblueta

Candyblueta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CTR, '01 PY ITR, '17 R8 Plus, '15 M4 700+hp, '15 Sprintex S/C CR-Z, '20 Ram 1500 Longhorn, '71 C10 Restored, '01 BMW Wagon, '02 CETA WS6, & some bikes!
Country flag

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Spoon parts are great quality and provide great results, but they're also very expensive and sell based specifically on their niche/brand recognition.

Because of their cost and the fact many other parts do the same function, usually better, and at a lower cost, their sales model is a little more difficult in the USA. Their stuff is quality, don't get me wrong - it's worth every penny for the people who love their stuff. But the cost makes their customer base fairly small in the USA.

Hence why you're getting very little feedback on this. I think emailing/tagging spoon is your best bet.

OP
OP
Candyblueta

Candyblueta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you aren't worried about installing them at the same time then install your springs and then measure the lower control arm angle, it should be flat or the ball joint should be lower than the subframe, if the ball joint is higher than the subframe then I'd get the ball joints.
I will say, these are only a 4mm correction, which is pretty minimal compared to the old civic/integra ball joints, so either they are made for a very small drop, or this chassis does not have a bad roll center until it gets really low.

mdchan84

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Acura RSX Type S (RIP), 2009 Honda Fit, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I personally wouldn't install Spoon springs without installing the zero bump steer kit. It corrects the roll center which decreases body roll. If don't want to install these, you have to get a stiffer spring to compensate which is worse for street driving. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. This will be the setup I will be running in the near future.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I previously had the Eibach Pro-kit springs and recently installed the Spoon setup---springs, ball joints, rigid collars. I can't confirm if the ball joints themselves made much of a difference, but I love how my car feels now. It's a night and day difference compared to what I had before. With just the Pro-Kits I had before, the ride was just harsh and stiff---I hated it. Now with the Spoon setup, my car feels much more compliant.

OP
OP
Candyblueta

Candyblueta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. My main concern was if these ball joints were specifically for the spoon springs or if they were meant for a more aggressive set up like slamming them on coil overs. I think it’s safe to say they are meant for the spring lowering springs themselves.

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
I previously had the Eibach Pro-kit springs and recently installed the Spoon setup---springs, ball joints, rigid collars. I can't confirm if the ball joints themselves made much of a difference, but I love how my car feels now. It's a night and day difference compared to what I had before. With just the Pro-Kits I had before, the ride was just harsh and stiff---I hated it. Now with the Spoon setup, my car feels much more compliant.
i'm curious, is the ride height noticeably lower with the springs? i have a tough time going over my own driveway without scraping on the stock set up as it is. it;s doable but it has to be angled juuuust right.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
i'm curious, is the ride height noticeably lower with the springs? i have a tough time going over my own driveway without scraping on the stock set up as it is. it;s doable but it has to be angled juuuust right.
I'm running 18's and it's definitely noticeable to me. The After pic below was right after I installed the EIbach Pro-Kits, but the drop is almost identical to the Spoon springs:

Before (Stock springs)
Honda Civic 10th gen Advice on Spoon springs; with or without Spoon balljoints 1607035771587

After (Eibach Pro-kit)

Honda Civic 10th gen Advice on Spoon springs; with or without Spoon balljoints 1607035816140

If you're worried about scraping, then I'd keep the stock springs and go with 19s, so the wheel gap isn't as bad.

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I just did the Spoon zero bumpsteer kit when I did Whiteline lowering springs. I assumed they were meant to correct the roll center for any lowering spring around the Spoon height, which is most of the aftermarket springs for this car.

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
I'm running 18's and it's definitely noticeable to me. The After pic below was right after I installed the EIbach Pro-Kits, but the drop is almost identical to the Spoon springs:

Before (Stock springs)
1607035771587.png

After (Eibach Pro-kit)

1607035816140.png

If you're worried about scraping, then I'd keep the stock springs and go with 19s, so the wheel gap isn't as bad.
Are you running 18x9.5 +38? What tire size? Looks good!

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Is there a difference between the Spoon ball joint part and the Hard Race adjustable ball joints?