First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello all!

I've been researching a bit for intake advice as this is going to be my first mod on my CTR. I wanted to ask what everyone would recommend. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
PRL HVI, or Eventuri if you want fancy carbon fiber bits. The rest aren't that great.

Mind you, like most parts on this platform, it's going to do pretty much nothing for power without a tune. It'll sound nice though.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Eventuri IMO is the best on the market currently. I noticed it was a bit more efficient compared to my HVI.

Drop in filters for the money are tough to beat though.

Won’t notice gains without a tune really

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OEM, don't waste your money.
Meh, there's worse mods to throw away money on. Intake makes a big difference in sound, and thus (for most) driver enjoyment, even if performance differences are questionable. Plus the stock intake looks like straight dogshit. At a minimum get a PRL Stage 1 if you care about engine bay looks.

OP
OP
ghett0tech

ghett0tech

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses and advice!

I am aware that without a tune most bolt ons basically yield no result however the car is too damn quiet! I'm solely doing it right off the bat for a bit of sound but I also would like a quality intake for the eventual tune down the line.

With that being said I will probably go with the PRL HVI.

Petrolicious

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2019 Lexus RX 350 F Sport, 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Remember this: an intake without a tune will actually make your car run worse. MAF scale is one of the most important things to adjust after getting an intake.

OP
OP
ghett0tech

ghett0tech

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Remember this: an intake without a tune will actually make your car run worse. MAF scale is one of the most important things to adjust after getting an intake.
Even with the PRL's coming with a street MAF it's still recommended to get a tune sooner than later?

Petrolicious

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2019 Lexus RX 350 F Sport, 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Even with the PRL's coming with a street MAF it's still recommended to get a tune sooner than later?
PRL says no. But anytime you mess with MAF housing, intake, higher flow filter etc.. you should get a tune.

OP
OP
ghett0tech

ghett0tech

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
PRL says no. But anytime you mess with MAF housing, intake, higher flow filter etc.. you should get a tune.
Yeah when I had my STI's I was unable to run an intake unless I at least had a COBB Acessport so I was surprised to see the Type R having the ability to run without a tune.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The PRL HVI street MAF has the same specs as the stock MAF housing and nearly the same flow characteristics. You’re right that it’s better to get a tune with slightly adjusted MAF parameters for it, but at stock power levels it’s barely going to matter anyways. These vehicles vary wildly, more than the PRL HVI is going to cause on its own. Higher flow filter doesn’t change a damn thing, though. This ECU doesn’t care about that.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
What future mods are you looking to go for?

Reason I ask is the PRL HVI has a lot of modifications you can do to the MAF housing for if or when you want to make big power. Which in that case alone makes it worth it.

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Agreed.
On the hondata options (in the flashpro software) my aftermarket intake (mishimoto) is seen as equal to the stock version so no changes are made with the software. This leads me to believe my power gains = 0.

Aftermarket panel filter in stock box is Hondata's choice (check youtube findings), but as others have said an aftermarket intake can sound the bollocks. I like the noise from mine :-D

Last edited:

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Most Intake under 1000 is more of a sound mods. If you just want sound go with any that's like 400 or less, but with real intake that's better than stock air box i'll have to say either eventuri or grupp.
Sponsored