Advantages and disadvantages of going to 17 in. rims over 18?

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Hello, So at some point in the next few months I am going to get new tires. I am still on the factory all seasons in the summer. Wet traction is really becoming an issue to the point of being dangerous. I already have a winter set of wheels which are 17x7.5 that I use from December through Feb.

I can really tell a difference in weight between the winter wheels and stock which are 22lbs vs 28lbs respectively. I am considering replacing the stock wheels when I buy new tires-probably to Enkei TSV. These are 17.9 lbs for the 17x8 and 19lbs for the 18x8. I was going to get 17’s for the lower weight and increased sidewall, although the 18’s probably look better and there are some more tire choices with stock size.

Any feedback from you guys with aftermarket wheels?

Also is there a market for used stock rims?
Sponsored

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
Hello, So at some point in the next few months I am going to get new tires. I am still on the factory all seasons in the summer. Wet traction is really becoming an issue to the point of being dangerous. I already have a winter set of wheels which are 17x7.5 that I use from December through Feb.

I can really tell a difference in weight between the winter wheels and stock which are 22lbs vs 28lbs respectively. I am considering replacing the stock wheels when I buy new tires-probably to Enkei TSV. These are 17.9 lbs for the 17x8 and 19lbs for the 18x8. I was going to get 17’s for the lower weight and increased sidewall, although the 18’s probably look better and there are some more tire choices with stock size.

Any feedback from you guys with aftermarket wheels?

Also is there a market for used stock rims?

I feel like if you can find the right size you could technically drop your car a little, and get better traction and better life out of the right setup of 17" wheels / tires. It would probably give you a smoother ride too if done right if even possible size wise mind you. I'm saying that wider yet higher but lower at the same time compared to stock would be just right IMO.

Also, I have the TSV 18 x 8.5 +45's on my 19 si sedan right now and they get better grip.

Last edited: