Adding AUX port or Glovebox CD Player?

gotVTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Would it be possible to add a glove mounted CD player to the 2016 honda's infotainment system? Could it just be spliced into one of the inputs that isn't being used? Even better could a custom aux port be installed so a Digital Audio Player could be connected for playing High Resolution Lossless Audio FLAC files?

Honda Civic 10th gen Adding AUX port or Glovebox CD Player? 824775

Honda Civic 10th gen Adding AUX port or Glovebox CD Player? 51yXzBqf7aL._SL1050_

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Man, that is a sweet Beetle. Funny that a 70 y.o. car has seemingly more audio options than a '17 Civic.

OP
OP

gotVTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag

Very nice. Thank you for the detailed build log in your sig. Right now I have my head unit going into an audiocontrol LC2i then a 4 way amp feeding rockford fosgate speakers in the doors and back deck and a jl amp and 10 inch sub. I was gonna swap the LC2i out for a minidsp C-DSP 6x8 or C-DSP 8x12 but I may have to go with that JBL MS8 DSP. On your build log it says that the JBL MS8 DSP does not have a SPDIF digital input whereas the minidsp units do. Would that make the installation easier for these minidsp models?
Honda Civic 10th gen Adding AUX port or Glovebox CD Player? _MG_1159

Honda Civic 10th gen Adding AUX port or Glovebox CD Player? 282A6361

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
On your build log it says that the JBL MS8 DSP does not have a SPDIF digital input whereas the minidsp units do. Would that make the installation easier for these minidsp models?
It might. So far I haven't seen a post from anyone who's used the SPDIF output from the headunit, so there are a couple of unknowns:

1) the Honda SPDIF connector looks different the one on most DSP's, so I think an adapter will be needed and I'm not sure if such an adapter exists. I.e. not sure if Honda's is a standard connector, just not the same standard as most DSP's use, or if it's totally proprietary

2) the data format of the bitstream the Honda headunit is unknown, and could possibly be one that an aftermarket DSP can't understand. It's probably just standard 2-channel 44.1KHz PCM data, but we won't know for sure until someone tries. My guess is this won't be an issue though

3) the factory volume controls may change the volume at the factory amp, which would mean the volume controls don't have an effect on the SPDIF bitstream. So using this may mean losing factory volume controls (you'd have to use the DSP's volume control). Apparently this is the case with some other OEM car systems but unknown with our Civic so far

Also, some sounds (nav, voice prompts, system beeps) are created in the amp so these would be missing from the SPDIF audio stream.

OP
OP

gotVTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I found this video and at the end for a second at the end he shows the back of the head unit and I saw nothing resembling a SPDIF.

Looking at it again this morning I think I may be complicating things. I should just be able to add the DSP in after the LC2i and before my amps right?

Honda Civic 10th gen Adding AUX port or Glovebox CD Player? lc2i-

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I found this video and at the end for a second at the end he shows the back of the head unit and I saw nothing resembling a SPDIF.
Oh, sorry, only the 10/12 speaker cars have the SPDIF cable because they're the only ones with an external amp. The car in that video has no center channel speaker, so it's one of the ones with the amp built into the headunit. Not sure which car you have.

Yes, IMO the SPDIF stuff is not worth messing with, even if your car does have one. But I think you will want to put the DSP between the headunit and the L2Ci if one of the things you'll be using the DSP for is to be able to have an aux jack. If you put it after the L2Ci, then your bass knob for the L2Ci won't have any effect on music played through the aux jack.

txtx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag

Looking at it again this morning I think I may be complicating things. I should just be able to add the DSP in after the LC2i and before my amps right?

lc2i-jpg.jpg
Yeah, I know I'm 3 years late to this, but I'd like to know your ultimate solution. Depending on your DAP (or a new one you may have by now), you could go straight from it into a SPDIF input. Your signal would then be digital rather than an analog aux. My Cayin can go from its USB Type-C out to regular coax or from the line out to mini-coax.