Adding 2nd battery or moving to trunk???

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I will be doing a fairly large upgrade to the stereo and was wondering who's relocated the battery to the rear allowing a larger one, or has added a 2nd bigger battery to the trunk on an isolator? I will be needing one or the other due to the demands my stereo will end up putting on the system.

Also, is anyone making a high output alternator? I saw a post where someone mentioned it being made soon by DC Power Engineering, but I can't view that website because it appears to have malware according to my work PC.
Sponsored

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I have not done so in the civic bit i hace built several spl competition winning vehicles. Most were daily drivers. I personally never used isolators after measuring the voltage drop. If you have a good amp non regulated and rated at 12-12.5v you see a night and day difference without an isolator. Run an extra battery or two in the trunk. Keep the one under the hood. The only real reason to run the battery isolator is if you plan on running it at high volume with the car off. A lot of people like Optima (they are vey good), but all my trophies came when using kinetic AGM. Good luck with your setup and please post when you get it done.

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have not done so in the civic bit i hace built several spl competition winning vehicles. Most were daily drivers. I personally never used isolators after measuring the voltage drop. If you have a good amp non regulated and rated at 12-12.5v you see a night and day difference without an isolator. Run an extra battery or two in the trunk. Keep the one under the hood. The only real reason to run the battery isolator is if you plan on running it at high volume with the car off. A lot of people like Optima (they are vey good), but all my trophies came when using kinetic AGM. Good luck with your setup and please post when you get it done.

Cool, will definitely keep people posted. I've always run isolators, but that is just me. In my highly modded turbo B16a CRX, I had to move the battery to the back due to lack of space under the hood for a clean, custom turbo install. What is killing me right now is the head unit. I have my guy talking to his rep at Maestro to see if they're planning a box to help us Si owners get rid of the stock head unit in favor of some nicer units. For the time being, I will just run a nice signal processor/integration unit to help maximize the sound...but ultimately, I want a nice head unit like my Kenwood Excelon DNX995S. Love that thing I will probably keep the battery under the hood and just add another.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Cool, will definitely keep people posted. I've always run isolators, but that is just me. In my highly modded turbo B16a CRX, I had to move the battery to the back due to lack of space under the hood for a clean, custom turbo install. What is killing me right now is the head unit. I have my guy talking to his rep at Maestro to see if they're planning a box to help us Si owners get rid of the stock head unit in favor of some nicer units. For the time being, I will just run a nice signal processor/integration unit to help maximize the sound...but ultimately, I want a nice head unit like my Kenwood Excelon DNX995S. Love that thing I will probably keep the battery under the hood and just add another.
I would add a 2nd battery in the back.
You don't want the starter running on long cable from the rear of the car.

Put the amp & the 2nd battery together in the Back, close to each other.

How much current is this new AMP going to take ??

OP
OP
VooDuuChild

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would add a 2nd battery in the back.
You don't want the starter running on long cable from the rear of the car.

Put the amp & the 2nd battery together in the Back, close to each other.

How much current is this new AMP going to take ??
Running a single battery in the rear is no big deal. Been doing it on race cars for years, it's very common. You just need high quality wire and proper grounding. Especially for these little cars, the starters don't draw like on some big diesel truck. And yes, I would of course run the amps near the battery in the back; that is the point, to have a big battery back there to power my stereo. As for draw, I haven't decided, but in this little car, I shouldn't need any more than 3000 watts. I haven't decided on stereo configuration yet. I know I will be disappointed with just one 10, but don't really want a 12, so I will probably go with two 10s and six way components up front, similar to my Jeep Commander which has a full on audiophile setup. This isn't my first rodeo, I've been doing car stereos since I was 15 and am now 42. I am not doing a damn thing to it though, until I can rip this piece of trash head unit out. I spoke to my Rep at Maestro and they finished the gen 9 civic unit to allow head unit replacement and are still working on the Gen 10 Civics. So until then, I just deal with the garbage sound that is the Si stereo.

Frankd1210

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I will be doing a fairly large upgrade to the stereo and was wondering who's relocated the battery to the rear allowing a larger one, or has added a 2nd bigger battery to the trunk on an isolator? I will be needing one or the other due to the demands my stereo will end up putting on the system.

Also, is anyone making a high output alternator? I saw a post where someone mentioned it being made soon by DC Power Engineering, but I can't view that website because it appears to have malware according to my work PC.
Mechman has them for Hondas

Frankd1210

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag

Mi

Frankd1210

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I bought one for my civic Michael singer makes the best high output alternators. I’m putting the second battery behind my passenger seat
Sponsored