Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex hatchback hpf edition
Country flag
To give you guys a backstory, previously to adding a dual 4 channel amp to power the speakers I had already installed a jc power 1000w amp to power 1x12 kicker comp R sub…no issues for over 2 years and bumped super hard. Fast forward to last week I decided to do try an installer from offer up he claimed to work on civics all the time and he knew the car perfectly well to know how to install an additional amp to power the the car speakers…oh yeah the car 4 car speakers are kicker as well…

after the install I listened to speakers and they were very loud idk about crisp but super loud but noticed the bass was barely noticeable. The OfferUp installer turned the gain up on the sub amp and back to normal. Now I came home shut The car off came back shortly just to check out the audio again and before the headunit turned out a an increasingly sound humming sound from the bass then it stopped …. Turned off the car and turned it back on the humming sound was present this time…waited for an hour to restart car and bam it was there again. Installer refused to come back and stated he said I need an lc7 or lc2 to avoid the issues.

went to the local shop to fix the issue and fixed .

I made an appointment that day to have an lc7i to be installed and relocate the amp the OfferUp guy did ( per the OfferUp installer best place was under the steering wheel ). After the shop installed lc7i and relocated 4 channel amp and removed all hi lo converters …sound was crisp and nice and the bass was hitting hard. Over all the audio at 75% sounds amazing….but I don’t always drive have the volume at 75%

issue that I currently have is , anytime I got from playing 50% to 25% the bass is present then at 25% the bass may cut out if I go lower it will cut off then I raise the volume back to 25% no bass, 30% no bass, 35% no bass etc until I reach 50% I may get the bass back depending on the song I’m playing. If I go above 50% bass kicks in …then drop to 25% and bass is present and I repeat the same process with the same outcome.

things I’ve tried lower the gain on sub amp, adjusted the lc7i to avoid distortion. Playing the accubass knob. Funny enough at 50% volume playing with the bass knob instead of the volume I get similar effects. When bass cuts out amp lights is still on.

if anyone has ran into any issues similar, I’m sure you guys haven’t let but worth a try. This situation baffles me because I just can’t figure it out and now the shop can’t either.
Sponsored

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
Without getting my paws on it it's almost impossible to tell.

At first glance it sounds like the radio is cutting bass frequencies but AFAIK these cars don't have bass rolloffs they just have a low end cut unless you have the premium system then they just have weird crossover points.

One of the things I will tell you is if the amps are cheap and don't have any sort of power filtering tech built in the battery voltage fluctuations of these cars will wreak havoc on them. It's normal for your battery voltage to fluctuate between 14.4 to 12v and anywhere in-between depending how the BCM is feeling at any particular moment. It's entirely possible that turning the system up pulls enough amperage to kick on the alternator but reducing the volume puts it back in eco mode killing the battery voltage, without watching voltage with it doing it I cant say for sure.

I'll also tell you that 9 out of 10 installers don't know how to correctly setup an LC7i. It's whole purpose in life is to step down from speaker level to a constant output voltage for the amp. If they didn't set it with a DD1+ or multimeter, it's not set correctly. Also also, the LC7i is what I call a "Set it and forget it" device, That's why I intentionally install them in places customers cant normally get to.

Accubass is just a variable level bass boost. It's designed to kick in at a set point then boost to another set point to counteract a OEM bass rolloff. To accurately set it you need a line level RTA.

I'd have to see it to be sure.

OP
OP
Da5hi30i2d

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Without getting my paws on it it's almost impossible to tell.

At first glance it sounds like the radio is cutting bass frequencies but AFAIK these cars don't have bass rolloffs they just have a low end cut unless you have the premium system then they just have weird crossover points.

One of the things I will tell you is if the amps are cheap and don't have any sort of power filtering tech built in the battery voltage fluctuations of these cars will wreak havoc on them. It's normal for your battery voltage to fluctuate between 14.4 to 12v and anywhere in-between depending how the BCM is feeling at any particular moment. It's entirely possible that turning the system up pulls enough amperage to kick on the alternator but reducing the volume puts it back in eco mode killing the battery voltage, without watching voltage with it doing it I cant say for sure.

I'll also tell you that 9 out of 10 installers don't know how to correctly setup an LC7i. It's whole purpose in life is to step down from speaker level to a constant output voltage for the amp. If they didn't set it with a DD1+ or multimeter, it's not set correctly. Also also, the LC7i is what I call a "Set it and forget it" device, That's why I intentionally install them in places customers cant normally get to.

Accubass is just a variable level bass boost. It's designed to kick in at a set point then boost to another set point to counteract a OEM bass rolloff. To accurately set it you need a line level RTA.

I'd have to see it to be sure.
Thanks again for the feedback really appreciate it.

When running the sub and amp for a few years I’ve didn’t have any issues like this.

I agree also based on research amp and lc7i are normally tuned not fine tuned but tuned to what it should be based on your setup with a multimeter. I was replicating the issue at the shop and the installer was messing with the lc7i setting to fix the issue.

I don’t know anything about car audio and all I wanted was better crisp sound from my speakers. All I was hearing from pricing around was 4 channel and lc7i.

What in particular did you want to see or look at?

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
What in particular did you want to see or look at?
I meant I'd have to have it in my shop with the tools attached to pinpoint exactly what was happening, I'm still leaning towards it being a voltage problem since it fits and it's not the first time I've heard of a Honda doing this.

Once again.. I couldn't tell you for certain.

OP
OP
Da5hi30i2d

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I meant I'd have to have it in my shop with the tools attached to pinpoint exactly what was happening, I'm still leaning towards it being a voltage problem since it fits and it's not the first time I've heard of a Honda doing this.

Once again.. I couldn't tell you for certain.
The shop should be able to distinguish voltage issues right ? I’m going to try to explain this to the shop, I just don’t want to offend them as much I am sure the don’t want to offend me on the dual amp. The jc power amp is what they push so if the jc power amp could be the issue how can I know I’m not just spending money I don’t have to I guess.

OP
OP
Da5hi30i2d

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The shop should be able to distinguish voltage issues right ? I’m going to try to explain this to the shop, I just don’t want to offend them as much I am sure the don’t want to offend me on the dual amp. The jc power amp is what they push so if the jc power amp could be the issue how can I know I’m not just spending money I don’t have to I guess.
after reading the part of fluctuating volts from 14.5 and 12.5 is no joke, don’t ask me why I have it displaying on my ktuner and yes I see it all time and I always remind my self I already googled it and it’s normal lol but in this case that issue is causing variable issues

OP
OP
Da5hi30i2d

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
…I think I have to start considering I got 2 bad eggs here…they replaced the amp with a kicker amp they rewired the sub in the box incorrectly to prevent the sub cutting in and out at low volume …now my issue is I’m not getting the punchy bass at high volume …taking it back tomorrow and I’m letting them know they fix it or just going to ask for my money back on the lc7i and just put everything back the way it was.
Sponsored