Add Paddle Shifters to 2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a theory that I want to see if anyone can confirm or deny, or if anyone has already done it.

My 2016 EX-T Sedan does not have paddle shifters, and I am looking to add them. I have a part list (below) of everything I need I think, except a modified TCM. My theory is: Is it possible to use a TCM from a Civic model that does have the paddles, for example a 2016 Hatchback Sport, and simply swap it into my Sedan? I believe both the sedan and the hatch have the 1.5L Turbo, and the same CVT, so it does not seem to be risking damaging anything I wouldn't think. How does the TCM interface with the ECU? How about the Dash in terms of showing what simulated gear you're in?

Also for reference, I have done some digging around the web and on CivicX.com and found 2 related threads, but neither have what I am looking for, unfortunately.

Other threads:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/putting-paddle-shifters-on-2018-civic-from-2019-model.29031/
https://www.civicx.com/threads/convert-non-paddle-version-to-paddle-shift.6823/

Part List (I found all of these except the TCM on hondapartswholesaledirect.com):
Cover, Body *NH900L* (Deep Black)
Part Number: 78518-TEX-A21ZA
~$40-45

Switch Assembly, Paddle R
Part Number: 78560-TEA-A81ZA
~$25-30

Switch Assembly, Paddle L
Part Number: 78565-TEA-A81ZA
~$25-30

Sub-Wire, Cable Reel
Part Number: 77901-TEA-R10
~$12

Screw-Washer (4X12)
Part Number: 93893-04012-07
~$1

Alternate/Modified TCM (As an example)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-18-Hond...ntrol-Unit-Genuine-TCU-Used-OEM-/183258761128
*Sidenote - This eBay post makes me thing that it would be interchangeable as it says it is compatible with all Civic models 2016-2019, including ones with and without paddles.

*Edit
For what its worth, I messaged the seller on eBay about the part linked above. I asked how it could be compatible with all models. Here is his response:
"Hello. Yes the TCMs would be different since they came with different engine sizes so their ratios are different. TCMs we have mostly came off of a 16-18 civic sedan with a 2.0 engine"
Sponsored

Last edited:

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan, 2011 Ford Fiesta SES
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interested as well. If I wasn't a broke college student and could afford to lose a couple hundred bucks I'd jump the gun and but the parts just to test it out

OP
OP
lucashend

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interested as well. If I wasn't a broke college student and could afford to lose a couple hundred bucks I'd jump the gun and but the parts just to test it out
That's where I am at too. Figure I would ask around here before blowing $200 on parts and breaking my car or something haha

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It may seem like minimal parts but I can't imagine it's all that simple of a DIY upgrade. By the way, the CVT's are different in the 1.5 and 2.0 models, so I'd have to think the TCM's may not be interchangeable.

OP
OP
lucashend

lucashend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It may seem like minimal parts but I can't imagine it's all that simple of a DIY upgrade. By the way, the CVT's are different in the 1.5 and 2.0 models, so I'd have to think the TCM's may not be interchangeable.
I agree, the TCM will be the tricky part. Doesn't the Hatch Sport have a 1.5L in it still, same as the 2016 EX-T?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd just get a ktuner or hondata paddle shifters will make your car slower really

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ScaredNoob

First Name
Lynk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
Country flag
Hi guys,

I decided to burn some cash to give this a try on my Civic 2016 EX.. I bought a steering wheel from a Civic 2019 Sedan Sport with paddle shifter, and also the Control Unit Transmission from the same vehicle.

I'm new to this and this is my first car, but I'm anxious to learn. If this can be done easily I can try it myself (after watching some videos and getting help from you) and share the results here.

Here are the parts:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I guess my questions are: Would it work? Can it damage my car in anyway?

Thanks.

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure it will work. The issue is that our non-paddled cars have L on the shifter whereas the sports do not. I'm not sure how the TCU handles that. The previous guy had ordered a specially reprogrammed TCU that had support for both L AND paddles, but he seems to have disappeared.

That said, the worst I imagine happening is that the ECU doesn't like your new TCU and everything lights up, but I don't personally think that would cause any permanent damage as you can always go back to the stock TCU. Ofc, I'm no expert on all the transmission electronics (I've only ever worked on full manual race car transmissions with minimal electronics) so I can't say for sure.

Elio

First Name
Elio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback
Country flag
Hi guys,

I decided to burn some cash to give this a try on my Civic 2016 EX.. I bought a steering wheel from a Civic 2019 Sedan Sport with paddle shifter, and also the Control Unit Transmission from the same vehicle.

I'm new to this and this is my first car, but I'm anxious to learn. If this can be done easily I can try it myself (after watching some videos and getting help from you) and share the results here.

Here are the parts:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I guess my questions are: Would it work? Can it damage my car in anyway?

Thanks.

Elio

First Name
Elio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback
Country flag
I wish I could do this to mine I could not afford the sport model

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
*Cough* Find a used Si *Cough*
*Cough* Or maybe a manual EX-T *Cough*

Edaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Coupe (1.5T)
Country flag
Just to begin I drive a 2017 Civic Touring Coupe (CVT with no paddle shifters)

I Bought a 2019 TCM just for the hell of it to see what would happen if I swapped it. Unsurprisingly there was an error code (U0302). It drove just fine. All of the shift points on the gear selector worked. What was interesting though is the "L" shift point still worked as well. VSA, Some honda sensing features and the parking break were throwing warnings. The parking break specifically still worked, it would engage and disengage but only when using the button, you couldn't put it in drive, tap the accelerator lightly and have it automatically lift. On top of that the red "BREAK" light was blinking. Despite all of that the only code my OBD reader picked up was U0302.

Because the code was throwing U0302 which is an incompatible software code, I suspect the only thing keeping these lights on is just the fact the ECU doesn't like the serial number the TCM reports (if that's how it works). I don't own a Ktuner or Hondata but maybe that issue can be resolved with one of those.

Also what's cool is the shift point characters are displayed over each other in a blinking fashion with the exception of "S".

Hopefully we can get this project going again, It seems the only possible option we had was that modified TCM some chinese guy was selling but that thread is long sense dead and no one has heard from those people in a long time. I translated one of those chinese threads and found they were using some software called "Gearbox Genie" but I've found nothing online about it. I'm sure if we found some nice, crisp Honda documentation on the TCM some questions could be answered.

Honda Civic 10th gen Add Paddle Shifters to 2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan 20220622_221704.JPG

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to begin I drive a 2017 Civic Touring Coupe (CVT with no paddle shifters)

I Bought a 2019 TCM just for the hell of it to see what would happen if I swapped it. Unsurprisingly there was an error code (U0302). It drove just fine. All of the shift points on the gear selector worked. What was interesting though is the "L" shift point still worked as well. VSA, Some honda sensing features and the parking break were throwing warnings. The parking break specifically still worked, it would engage and disengage but only when using the button, you couldn't put it in drive, tap the accelerator lightly and have it automatically lift. On top of that the red "BREAK" light was blinking. Despite all of that the only code my OBD reader picked up was U0302.

Because the code was throwing U0302 which is an incompatible software code, I suspect the only thing keeping these lights on is just the fact the ECU doesn't like the serial number the TCM reports (if that's how it works). I don't own a Ktuner or Hondata but maybe that issue can be resolved with one of those.

Also what's cool is the shift point characters are displayed over each other in a blinking fashion with the exception of "S".

Hopefully we can get this project going again, It seems the only possible option we had was that modified TCM some chinese guy was selling but that thread is long sense dead and no one has heard from those people in a long time. I translated one of those chinese threads and found they were using some software called "Gearbox Genie" but I've found nothing online about it. I'm sure if we found some nice, crisp Honda documentation on the TCM some questions could be answered.

20220622_221704.JPG
You are sort of right with the not liking the serial number. you would have to update the tcm with the honda software to get rid of that code and lights, however, it will program that doner tcm for your vin, and may or may not lose the software function of the paddles. the paddles connect to the tcm and would have to input 2 wires into the tcm connector or get a transmission harness for paddle shifters.